twilight grand final is coming boyos

Remove this Banner Ad

You don’t know anymore than I do if it will get more viewers as a twilight game, I think no matter when it’s played it will be the biggest event of the year as it has always been. The same huge number of people will still watch it.
If it is going to be moved which I think it is inevitable then it should go to a night game not a twilight game.
But let’s not kid ourselves here, this is not about more viewers as the GF is the biggest tv event in the country no matter what time it’s played, this is about the broadcasters making more money from advertising, they can charge a higher rate in twilight and night. The same people will still watch it though.
Money, money, money.
It’s a fantasy to think the AFL are thinking about good for the game, more viewers etc etc.
This is all true. But the reason there's more money is there's more people watching.

Advertisers will pay more if there are more viewers. The AFL TV rights deal will be worth more money, which means more+better coverage, and more money going to the league which is ultimately a good thing for everyone.

hell they may even make so much money they'll be able to hire some actual broadcasters to call games instead of luke darcy!

Thread title needs to be changed by a mod. It's misleading and a lie.

Should be in rumours and scandals as well. As it's not true. All the racism Eddie betts has received lately was moved to scandals and rumours, yet all of it was factually true. Why is this thread still here with this title?

The title should be "Grand final staying at usual time slot despite OP preferring a twilight game". That would be an accurate title or move it to scandals and rumours, And people's responses would be a little different I think. Like "who cares what OP wants" etc.

It's not a rumour when the AFL CEO talks about it publicly every year.

Strap yourself in boys. Also, ead traditionalists.
Eat a dick? Really? Are you 12?!

Anyway, common sense has prevailed. Really chuffed with the afl here.

My daughter and her little mates are all really getting into footy this year, I cant wait to enjoy the day with her in September (gf is also her 6th bday this year too).

Looking after families over the dollar. Top stuff AFL.

Happy with the traditional start time

Yeh, just slightly ill informed.

The game is the pinnacle for the week long buildup - go to one and then see what it is all about. It absolutely shits all over the AFL by the length of the Flemington straight.

I'm still more likely to know the half time entertainment than the two teams who played. That's why many view it as an overrated circus. What argument is this exactly? In America it's a week long build up to the game. In Australia it is also. And most people in the country can tell you the two teams who are playing.

This is all true. But the reason there's more money is there's more people watching.

Advertisers will pay more if there are more viewers. The AFL TV rights deal will be worth more money, which means more+better coverage, and more money going to the league which is ultimately a good thing for everyone.

hell they may even make so much money they'll be able to hire some actual broadcasters to call games instead of luke darcy!

Moving one game to night will not increase the TV rights, as I said it will just be a good night for the broadcaster and that’s it.
And again what evidence is that a GF will be watched more and night than in the day? The same people will watch it if it was on at 7am

Moving one game to night will not increase the TV rights, as I said it will just be a good night for the broadcaster and that’s it.
And again what evidence is that a GF will be watched more and night than in the day? The same people will watch it if it was on at 7am

Primetime = more revenue, of course it will increase the TV rights.

Eddie McGuire was correct - its a no brainer - take it to primetime and go next level

Who gives a s**t about ratings, why are some people so concerned about ratings and if people will tune in or not.

People in the northern states that are not watching it during the day are not going to watch it at twilight/night and that's because they don't care about it, people in the footy states ( vic sa and wa ) would watch it if it was on at 4am.

Primetime = more revenue, of course it will increase the TV rights.

Eddie McGuire was correct - its a no brainer - take it to primetime and go next level

How on earth are they going to take it to the next level ?

Smoke machines / those flame thrower thingos whenever a goal is scored ? That's appealing to brainless idiots!

How on earth are they going to take it to the next level ?

Smoke machines / those flame thrower thingos whenever a goal is scored ? That's appealing to brainless idiots!

Its beyond that - primetime = more money - it also means more exposure into northern markets at the best time in you know PRIMETIME. To turn that down in the interests of 'tradition' is probably more brainless than those who like fireworks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its beyond that - primetime = more money - it also means more exposure into northern markets at the best time in you know PRIMETIME. To turn that down in the interests of 'tradition' is probably more brainless than those who like fireworks

Hahaha

People who want to watch the grand final WILL watch it regardless of the timezone.

More will watch it in primetime - why are some people struggling to accept that?

Haha ratings will remain about the same

The way people go on and on and on about ratings increasing make it sound like the grand final would get 5+ million viewers at night. It would be lucky to reach 3.5 million.

the expectation of ratings is the only thing that's driving this. if the broadcasters and the AFL didn't think there was a way to get more viewers then they'd leave it alone.

i'm assuming their expectation of additional viewers is based on the success of moving more of the other finals to night time timeslots.

Haha ratings will remain about the same

The way people go on and on and on about ratings increasing make it sound like the grand final would get 5+ million viewers at night. It would be lucky to reach 3.5 million.

lol

ok lets just disregard the fact that networks worldwide have for years been putting the best shows and games on primetime. Im sure theyd rate just as well in any old timeslot

Im done here but carry on :drunk:

Hahaha

People who want to watch the grand final WILL watch it regardless of the timezone.
this is true.

but some people who's lives don't revolve around footy will watch it if it's at a convenient time but won't shift work/other obligations to do so watch it. this is how you create new fans.

take married at first sight, when it first comes out everyone says it's s**t, but they watch it anyway because it's primetime, and now they're hooked.

If Richmond win the 2019 GF i couldn't give two shits if 200,000 people tuned in and it was the lowest rating GF of all time and i'm sure every other clubs fans would be the same way if their team wins it.
yep but the population of australia is more than just you

this is true.

but some people who's lives don't revolve around footy will watch it if it's at a convenient time but won't shift work/other obligations to do so watch it. this is how you create new fans.

take married at first sight, when it first comes out everyone says it's s**t, but they watch it anyway because it's primetime, and now they're hooked.

People watch it because Cyrell is delicious just like Cyril Rioli and they want to see her punch on with the other females!

yep but the population of australia is more than just you
Then record it and watch it at 7:30pm after your missus has made you mow the lawns, take the kids to play dates, take her to the shops and made you wait outside while she tries on every piece of clothing in the shop and then gets you to do the weekly shopping while your there and then you will wish the game was on at 2:30pm and so will she after you spend the whole day complaining. And then by 9:30pm your spent and you fall asleep missing the end of the match.

Then record it and watch it at 7:30pm after your missus has made you mow the lawns, take the kids to play dates, take her to the shops and made you wait outside while she tries on every piece of clothing in the shop and then gets you to do the weekly shopping while your there and then you will wish the game was on at 2:30pm and so will she after you spend the whole day complaining. And then by 9:30pm your spent and you fall asleep missing the end of the match.
Ah yes, but you won't have that problem if your missus wants to watch it as well. this is what the AFL is trying to achieve by bring the game to more people.

I'm genuinely curious how recorded programs are calculated into ratings...

Yeah let's not be progressive and use one of the most followed sporting events in the world (even though its played in one country) as a blue print.

But I understand Adelaide mentally... stay behind the times, not progress and be irrelevant.

I mean why would we want people from other countries and others that would not usually watch slowly tuning in anyway... as long as us old, traditional farts who are gona die soon are happy...that´s all that matters. Don't worry about the future, growth and popularity of the game.

Evolving and progressing is for losers.

Wonder why the NRL switched their GF to prime time and is now the highest watching GF football event in the country.

What a terrible move that was.

It really isn't.

The NRL GF isn't even the highest rating League game of the year. Maybe we could start the AFL GF at 10:30am so that the east coast of America could get it in primetime or maybe we could start it at 1:30pm to catch the west coast's primetime.

1552620823161.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back