UFC 110: Nogueira vs. Velasquez

Remove this Banner Ad

If Cain wasn't considered top shelf elite he definitely is now... that was absolutely devastating. Wow.

George! Hands lacked power but he dominated pretty much every aspect of the fight. Bring on BJ ;)

Bisping must be kicking himself... he had the fight won and got dropped inside the final 10 seconds. Wand anywhere near his prime would have murdered Bisping, instead he got lucky late with a RH.

LOL at Jardine... I reckon my young daughter could knock him out these days. Anyone landing any sort of decent chin shot and he's in lala land.

You could almost see Perosh thinking "oh s**t" when he got tagged with Cro Cop's first straight left. At least he has a cool scar to show his kids and grand kids when he gets older... "Cro Cop gave me this".

I reckon Silva had Bisping covered for the whole fight. BJ would probably put down George within 2 minutes. :D

Awesome win for George, needs another big win before he gets a shot at BJ though! Sucks when the main event is 2 minutes long, but I guess you're gunna get that with Heavyweights sometimes!
I agree with OP assessment of the co-main event. I think Bisping had it, just, until the last 10 seconds
I'm a big Bader fan now. Just needs to change his nickname to 'Master' :) :thumbsu:

Genuine passing of the guard.. Velasquez...

Been a bit dubious about Cain in the past but his hands are very heavy and getting quicker and quicker with each fight, & watch out Brock cos he's knocking the door down at the moment.

Fight of the night for me (Bias or not :p), Georgey Sotiropolous did not look in doubt at all on the ground. Stevenson may have been thinking of future fights and by round 2, was thinking "not sure how to beat him". Bisping would have to be pissed about losing to Wand, who looked comfy at 84kgs. & couldn't watch Cro Cop v Perosh, outclassed to the point of empathy.

Cheers Dana!

Fight of the night for me (Bias or not :p), Georgey Sotiropolous did not look in doubt at all on the ground. Stevenson may have been thinking of future fights and by round 2, was thinking "not sure how to beat him".
Agreed.

That said, outclassing Joe Stevenson and being in BJ Penn's class are two different things. I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Gray Maynard though - I reckon he could end Gray Maynard's hopes of getting a title shot.

Still, this is probably the most exciting thing in Australian MMA in a long while.

And yet he was losing the fight up until the final 10 seconds...

No. They both did practically nothing, but Silva did slightly more.

Don't know what u guys were watching but apart from the ordinary bout between the 2 Silva had him covered whether he knocked him down or not

That is what I thought.

Looks like its melbournes turn in 2011.

cain is for real, i hope brock crushes him tho

wand did good at 185, bisping is real elusive, marquardt v wand looks good right now

sot's looked really good maynard or diaz would be a good match up and for george's sake bj jumps up to 170, dana will build sot's up as our posterboy and build the MMA empire in australia like bisping did with the UK

perosh was surviving, props to him for stepping up tho

jardine is finished, off to strikeforce maybe

bader vs hamill or the winner of chuck/tito would be good

didnt see the te huna fight heard he won, good on him, his arm was in a sling, looks like his shoulder is still worrying him.

To me it looked like Bisping had the first, Wand got the second and third.
I might've even given Silva the 1st but that sounds about right.

What a great event. I can't imagine how awesome it was in the arena. Amazing performance from Sots against a top LW. His ground game was crazy and Stevenson was no threat at all standing. I felt bad for Nog after that but it's great for the UFC and the fans that Velasquez is doing so well. His striking was crisp and flowing and he was way too quick for Nog. I wouldn't mind seeing him verse Dos Santos next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I'm pretty sure it was 29-28 across. Still, the third round could have gone either way up until when Bisping got dropped.

Given that fighters need to know wrestling skills in order to have a chance, does this mean that wrestling or martial arts with wrestling are superior to non-wrestling martial arts both in and out of the octagon?

To me it looked like Bisping had the first, Wand got the second and third.

Correct, but I had Bisping slightly ahead in the third before being dropped with 10 seconds to go. In the end Wand did drop him though and deserved the decision. Can understand why Bisping would be pissed at himself though... Wand threw a lot but connected with few.

I wouldn't mind seeing him verse Dos Santos next.

Dos Santos fights Gonzaga next month, whom he should demolish, which would set up a title shot for the winner of Velasquez vs Dos Santos.

Some great HW fights coming up... Mir vs Carwin, with the winner given a shot at the returning Lesnar (probably mid year).

Given that fighters need to know wrestling skills in order to have a chance, does this mean that wrestling or martial arts with wrestling are superior to non-wrestling martial arts both in and out of the octagon?

Wrestling has been the most successful "base" of the past few years, but it's not like you have to be an all-american college wrestler to succeed. Most of the fighters learn enough of one martial art to at least be able to defend it well. Some great fighters, like Chuck and Cro-cop made a career on an A+ sprawl to keep the fight standing in order to use their strongest point, being their stand-up. Not too mention a fighter like GSP, who is considered almost the best wrestler in MMA, wasn't a wrestler until he trained MMA. The person who adepts and evolves the quickest in mixing arts into the "mma blender" so to speak, is usually on top.

Wrestling has been the most successful "base" of the past few years, but it's not like you have to be an all-american college wrestler to succeed. Most of the fighters learn enough of one martial art to at least be able to defend it well. Some great fighters, like Chuck and Cro-cop made a career on an A+ sprawl to keep the fight standing.

MMA isn't really a martial art though is it? It's just an amorphous mix of boxing/kickboxing and wrestling, innit?

So what if I am Bruce Lee and I go into the octagon. Do I get my ass kicked by some kickboxer dude who knows how to wrestle a bit?

Wrestling has been the most successful "base" of the past few years, but it's not like you have to be an all-american college wrestler to succeed. Most of the fighters learn enough of one martial art to at least be able to defend it well. Some great fighters, like Chuck and Cro-cop made a career on an A+ sprawl to keep the fight standing in order to use their strongest point, being their stand-up. Not too mention a fighter like GSP, who is considered almost the best wrestler in MMA, wasn't a wrestler until he trained MMA. The person who adepts and evolves the quickest in mixing arts into the "mma blender" so to speak, is usually on top.

There is a bit more to those guys than just sprawling, they are pretty competent wrestlers. In the case of Chuck, he was a Division 1 College wrestler. GSP came to wresling through fighting, this is true, but he is a brilliant wrestler, and apparently the Canadian wrestling team want him to try out for the next Olympics.

To answer they other guys question, competent MMA fighters can fight standing, in the clinch and on the ground (top and bottom), they also know how to transition between the 3 places and you need to be able to stop your opponent from transitioning. No fighter is the best at all aspect of the game which to me, makes it so interesting.

MMA is as close to real fighting as you can get, so draw your own conclusions about the importance of wrestling to self defence.

Lost 600 when Nog lost (George, Wandy, Lytle, Krystov, Nog multi) but man what an event. Loved the standing ovation for Wand, & the support shown for George was amazing, his jitz was sick. A few bogan chants slipped in, but overall the crowd was fairly decent. Had an excellent time.

UFC 110 did 123,000 nationally yesterday which is pretty good for a digital channel.

:confused:

It is not meant to be a single martial art...

Mixed martial arts (MMA) is a full contact combat sport that allows a wide variety of fighting techniques, from a mixture of martial arts traditions and non-traditions, to be used in competitions. The rules allow the use of striking and grappling techniques, both while standing and on the ground. Such competitions allow martial artists of different backgrounds to compete.

MMA is nowhere near as simplistic as you make out... not even close.

Basic skills are striking, grappling, takedowns, ground game. There are a large number of martial arts available in each skill.

Striking involve a combination of any striking martial art... boxing, muay thai, kickboxing, karate, taekwondo, etc.

Grappling and take downs involve combination of wrestling, BJJ, sambo, muay thai, judo, aikido, etc

Ground game is predominately BJJ, wrestling and ground striking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back