UFC 127: Penn vs. Fitch (Feb 27 2011; Acer Arena, Sydney)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ebersole was a clown but he backed it up which was awesome. He was very humble in victory and I hope he can stick around in the UFC. His story is like something out of a movie.QUOTE]

If you have every seen Ebersole fight before you will know that this is how he acts in all his fights. He once came out to a fight in a mankini (again with arrow pointing to chin on his chest) to the song Do you really want to hurt me - Culture Club and knocked the bloke (an Austalian kick boxing champ - forget the name) in 15 seconds.

He is a true showman.

Quote of the event:
Fighter: "There's something hanging in my eye"
Ref: "Yeah, it's your eyelid"

These guys must have high pain thresholds.

lol. Generally comments like these come from people who believe UFC fights happen live every Thursday night on OneHD :cool:

Or people who know what they're talking about apparently. ;)

Disappointed I couldn't get to the show this year after having a ball last time around. Would have been great to be there to see Hunt and Perosh break their droughts as well as Ebersole announce himself to the world with a great victory.

Disappointed for George and James, but not surprised. Gustafsson is going to be a big name in the 205lb division IMO and I always thought George would have trouble with Siver. I'm seeing a lot of wrestling practice in George's immediate future....

I was OK with BJ/Fitch ending in a draw under the current rules. BJ did enough to win the first two rounds and Fitch definitely deserved a 10-8 in the third from what I saw (bloody Foxtel lost the feed for 2 minutes!). If they do end up re-matching after that, I think Fitch takes it fairly easily.

Firstly I don't like Bisping but I think Jeorge milked the knee, he was already hurt.

I thought his eyes were pretty glazed over at that point. May of been hurt previously, but clearly wanted to go for the honorable win, instead of being the guy that Bisping beat the crap out of, but got the DQ win

I was there again and what a great event again. In fact I enjoyed this one more than last year despite sots and tehuna results. Met a stack of great people saw some great fights and got an awesome photo with Stephan Bonner which will be going up on my mancave wall. It's an awesome spectacle the whole show is bloody fantastic and thank goodness Dana and co are pushing hard to get the octagon cleared in victoria as it would be bloody awesome to see it here in my home town.

My mate had a couple of beers with Dana at the observer in the rocks on saturday night and dana guaranteed him they are pushing really hard to try and get UFC to melbourne. Fingers crossed they succeed.

On another note, I'm now much more of an MMA fan than I am into AFL now. As I sat there in my $275 seat (which remember is a lot more expensive than a full year AFL club membership) I just thought to myself this is 100 times better than being at the footy. I know this is an AFL website so some of you may disagree or take exception to that, but I love it. AFL has become too full of rubbish for me, front page news about nudity and teenage girls and crowds are feral too much nasty banter and lack of respect between fans. I've been to both UFC's in Australia now and have NEVER experienced such harmonious respectful fans as UFC fans seem to be. It's just a happy festival we're all there to enjoy ourselves and watch the warriors do their thing. Bring on Dana's revolution.

Would be cool to see other peopls photos from the event.

Here's a quality pic from Elvis:

P1120955.jpg

More here.

Loved it, though the crowd seemed a little subdued as opposed to 110. Probably to do with the lack of finishes on the main card.

Read the paper the next morning still going on about the same barbaric blood sport s**t, was funny as I left the event I thought there was no way they could spin it that way with most fights being very technical. *Shrugs*

Don't understand the hate for Bisping though, Rivera's camp tried to piss him off, they succeeded, it back fired, they deserved everything they got.

Don't understand the hate for Bisping though, Rivera's camp tried to piss him off, they succeeded, it back fired, they deserved everything they got.

I'm a Bisping fan but he went too far by spitting on someone. It's a shame that the spitting and the Fitch/Penn draw have overshadowed how huge Ebersole's victory was.

Sonnen wants Bisping! I think the UFC would definitely try to make this the next season of TUF. It'd be epic.

Still considered the top middleweight contender in the UFC, MMAWeekly.com was able obtain an email sent from Sonnen to UFC matchmaker Joe Silva requesting a fight against Bisping in the near future.

To: Joe Silva, Matchmaker Extraordinaire, Ultimate Fighting Championship
Re: Spitsbing & his tainted victory

Joe:

If you get a chance to talk with him, please mention to your idiot-in-residence Michael Spitsbing it’ll be a little tougher to knee ME in the head when I’m charging at him like a runaway train and mincing him through the fence like a boiled potato, should we ever have the pleasure of each other’s company for a few (VERY few) moments in the Octagon.

Oh; and I’d suggest to him being a little careful about spitting on any of MY cornermen, since any one of them can beat him up as badly as I can. Thanks ever so much.
Hope all is well.

-Chael Sonnen

When UFC 127 ended, many fans immediately started asking about a potential fight between Sonnen and Bisping, who have exchanged words in the past.

Sonnen’s manager, Mike Roberts of MMA Inc., echoed the sentiments of his client, and his desire to face Bisping when he returns to action.

“I’ve had the chance to talk to Chael and he absolutely has Michael Bisping in his crosshairs and wants to fight him,” Roberts told MMAWeekly.com “Chael welcomes the chance to face him in the UFC and give the fans what they want.”

http://mmaweekly.com/chael-sonnen-wants-to-face-michael-bisping-next-in-the-ufc

I think Vitor wants him as well. Both are pretty bad match-ups for Bisping but I would go for Vitor if I were him. I can't see any way he'd beat Sonnen where as if he avoids the KO he'd probably beat Vitor on points.

as the bisping/rivera argument continues, both camps are saying different things about the spitting incident. bisping said he spat in the direction of phinney/ground, whilst the rivera camp said he deliberately spat on phinney.

whilst i cant recall the incident 100% and can categorically say which 'side' is the truth (i was seated side-on to the incident and on the 1st level), i definitely recall the spitting and seem to think bisping spat on the ground more than at phinney. although i also seem to recall he spat at phinney too - just goes to show how terrible a witness i would be.

can anyone closer to the incident recall exactly the intent behind the spitting? (not that it's a big deal, but eyewitnesses will count for much more than the shitspray coming out of both camps).

whatever happened, that kind of behaviour after a fight is not warranted, or in particular wanted at all in a developing market where the ufc is hoping to expand into States that do not currently allow mma cage fighting. dana was right to be so livid about it. i hope we get to see sonnen v bisping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a great interview with Ebersole. He talks about his journey, the arrow on his chest, quotes Lord of the Rings and starts to cry a little at the end.

[youtube]jVXq6rarJaE[/youtube]

I’ve meant to post on this thread but I’ve been so busy this week and catching up on a LONG day that was Sunday, it’s taken its toll . Was up there again, great event again, always an unreal day. I would say that I did prefer UFC 110 as the fightcard was completely stacked and IMO it had an even better atmosphere. No moments where the roof came off when George passed guard this time. Could have been where we were sitting (we had silver tickets this time compared to gold last time) but the crowd around me were much more “bogan” than I remembered last year and many had NFI what was going on. There enthusiasm was great but hearing “smash his f*cking head in you c*nt” at least 50 times during the day got somewhat annoying.

That being said, even with the cheaper seats, I preferred the Silver seat’s view as were were right on row A (like being right at the front of the 2nd level at Etihad looking over) and the view over the cage was awesome, we were actually closer this time than last.
Fights generally were good, not quite as good as 110, but still satisfying. Awesome to see Perosh win, I was sitting with a couple of guys who train with the Hippo and they were estatic. Also I was so happy for Brian Ebersole. Never thought I’d cheer against Lytle, but Ebersole has been training with the guys at Dominance and Cam who trained with him for the fight was getting text messages from his camp right up to and after the fight. They were great guys and it was a great fight. Funnily enough I was probably most stoked with Mark Hunt winning. The guy just makes me smile and his conduct is so laid-back, just walking off like it was a Sunday stroll after KOing Tuchsherer. Fukuda was robbed, I boo’d loudly after that announcement.

Siver had a great gameplan and pulled it off incredibly well. In hindsight that was a tough fight for George, but he didn't embaress himself at all, he just needs to work to set up his takedowns a little better, get in a little further in on the hips instead of being forced to try and finish a loose single leg. Go for a camp with GSP and watch how he sets them up, and it would be beneficial to his game.

It was also quite evident how much Wanderlei Silva is loved. At 110, it was complete boo's for Bisping, this time, at least 80% of the crowd were for Bisping. He also performed well, albeit that deliberate illegal knee. And it was surely deliberate. A fight vs Sonnen would be quite epic, the trash talking would reach another level.

Man I hope MMA in a cage can eventually be legalised in Vic. Unforutunately the MSM's treatment of all things MMA (or 'UFC' as they ignorantly call it), its got a way to go. Our loss is Sydney's gain I guess.

As for MMA vs AFL, I certainly follow MMA much closer than I do AFL, but they are completely different games so I kind of don't compare them. If I had to only watch one sport for the rest of my life though, it would be MMA :D

Was at both 110 & 127. Again 127 was an awesome event.
I thought the atmosphere to both were pretty similar. Crowd went absolutely nuts when Hunt got his KO & Noke sinked in his RNC. I ran into Ariel Helwani after the fight he said the crowd was deafening, and as loud as any ufc event he has ever been to. Said he was really surprised at how popular it was in Aust.

Agree with some of the bogan sentiments tho, was pretty low when during the Sots v Siver fight, someone yelled out 'Kill that f**k*g Nazi c**t!'
Not cool.

Was actually seated a few rows behind BJ Penn's mum and family. I was rocking a BJ Penn shirt and his mum gave me a few poster's and a free t-shirt.

Got a photo with Arianny/Chandella/Britney Palmer and all i gotta say is DAMMNNNNN!!!!!!!

I've been too busy as well to write anything lengthy about the event. Also been meaning to start a thread for tomorrow's Sanchez/Kampmann card.

I was in the sixth row, even from there you couldn't see very well once the fight hit the ground. I probably wouldn't pay that much for tickets again unless it's in the first or second row, beyond that you're probably better off with an elevated seat. Can't say I really noticed all the idiots in the crowd from where I was though, other than the nob who called Siver a nazi.

Judged purely as a fight Fitch clearly won the main event but using the lame scoring system I'd have went BJ 29-28. A rematch probably makes sense but I'd kind of like to see BJ against somebody at 170 who isn't one of the three best in the division's history.

I was surprised at how popular Bisping was this time, obviously he was never going to be supported against Wand last year but it sounded like sheer hatred of him. Maybe people were like me and didn't really care for Rivera getting this fight or any of the unfunny videos he did.

I'd heard stories of Sots struggling to get Siver down in sparring at Randy's gym years ago but figured he'd have improved enough since then to just get Siver down once. Other than the two shots George got dropped with the fight was still pretty close. I thought George won the second and almost won the third but Siver winning was definitely the right call.

Loved Hunt's KO like everyone else. Probably the highlight of the event.

I agree that it was a disappointing card over all, for a number of reasons. And it once again highlighted how terrible the current scoring system is.

Welterweight bout: BJ Penn vs Jon Fitch - Fitch absolutely robbed. He clearly won round 2 and got a 10-8 in round 3. He should have had it 29-27. I like Fitch. I don't find him boring. He and Penn are such good fighters. It was an intriguing chess match for the first two rounds. BJ knew he deserved to lose that fight, and had he have officially done so, he looked like he was going to call it quits.
Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping vs Jorge Rivera - I was a fan of Michael Bisping. I'm not any more! I don't care what anyone says. That knee was deliberate. It was one of the dirtiest acts I've ever seen in sport. Rivera was right there on the ground in front of him. Bisping had plenty of time to think about it. It wasn't instinct. It was premeditated. Calling Rivera a "loser" after the fight? Absolutely disgraceful. Oh yeah, sure he "apologised" for it. But only to make himself not look quite so bad. :mad: Disgraceful performance, Bisping. I hope he gets beaten to Kingdom Come by Sonnen or whoever.
Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs Dennis Siver - Great performance by Siver that certainly spoiled the party for many fans. I'd say it was the first time Sots had ever faced such a good striker, and he was found wanting.
Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs Brian Ebersole - I was supporting Lylte for the first couple of minutes. Then I changed sides! Ebersole was massively entertaining, not to mention damn good! I agree that Lytle looked to have underestimated him, but credit where it's due. Ebersole was just outstanding. I sincerely hope he sticks around. :D
Middleweight bout: Kyle Noke vs Chris Camozzi - Very nice win by Noke!

Prelims
Lightweight bout: Ross Pearson vs Spencer Fisher - This was supposed to be FOTN but I thought it was a bit of a fizzer really.
Light Heavyweight bout: James Te Huna vs Alexander Gustafsson - Gustafsson looked sluggish early, but he got his act together. He's a talent.
Middleweight bout: Nick Ring vs Riki Fukuda - Ridiculous decision. Fukuda absolutely robbed! :mad:
Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs Chris Tuchscherer - Well, it was entertaining. I absolutely loved the way Hunt walked away celebrating as soon as he landed that uppercut and before the ref had even stopped the fight! :D
Featherweight bout: Tiequan Zhang vs Jason Reinhardt - Wow. Very nice guillotine!

Where does it say about a decision on Sunday? They still need to get it legalised. But that is a cool article, good to see Australia is the P4P biggest market for the UFC.

My mistake, they hoped to had made it last Sunday.

"Mr Zelaznik said the UFC is aiming to hold an event in Melbourne, with the 50,000 seat Etihad stadium mentioned as a possible venue, and had hoped to make the announcement on Sunday."

My mistake, they hoped to had made it last Sunday.

"Mr Zelaznik said the UFC is aiming to hold an event in Melbourne, with the 50,000 seat Etihad stadium mentioned as a possible venue, and had hoped to make the announcement on Sunday."

Thats a terrible idea, i was in the middle range price seats at ACER and can say honestly you are better off selling out a 20,000 seat stadium than a 50,000 seat stadium for the UFC. Anyone not seated in the first two rows and close would be better off at Home, no matter how the configure the seating, Rod Laver, maybe AAMI (yes i know its outside) but Etihad is a terrible idea.

Thats a terrible idea, i was in the middle range price seats at ACER and can say honestly you are better off selling out a 20,000 seat stadium than a 50,000 seat stadium for the UFC. Anyone not seated in the first two rows and close would be better off at Home, no matter how the configure the seating, Rod Laver, maybe AAMI (yes i know its outside) but Etihad is a terrible idea.
Seriously? I was in the $100 seats at Acer and the view and atmosphere was awesome. We could see straight into the top of the octagon and the 6 huge screens were there when it went to the ground.

I can see them getting 45,000 at Etihad and most people having great views.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back