MMA-UFC UFC 281: Adesanya v Pereira

Remove this Banner Ad

Whittaker fighting Pereira will force him to change his usual game style. Force him to do less striking and more wrestling and takedowns.

It will actually help him with a future 3rd match against Adesanya.

Yeah I feel like the plan Rob had against Izzy in the second one would work against Pereira. Izzy wasn't too easy to get down for Rob but he should find it easier against Pereira. I don't know though, Pereira is huge and a great striker, I'd tip Whittaker but not that confidently.

Yeah I feel like the plan Rob had against Izzy in the second one would work against Pereira. Izzy wasn't too easy to get down for Rob but he should find it easier against Pereira. I don't know though, Pereira is huge and a great striker, I'd tip Whittaker but not that confidently.
Curious as to weight Rob would fight Pereira at? (Not weigh in weight, fight weight)

Pereira looked 20 pounds heavier at least than Izzy on fight night

Anyone think Pereria could go Light Heavyweight?
I'm astonished he can even make 185lbs tbh.

On fight day he fights at 220+lbs. He dwarfed Izzy in there.

People talking about the usual suspects getting a shot against AP. I can't see that happening anytime soon, if ever.

Unfortunately the Whittakers, the Vettori's, the Cannonier's.. I just don't see it happening. One of them might get a fight but - the belt will be held up for at least 6 months while they work on details for the rematch, then recovery after that for whoever wins (Let's say AP in this instance). In that time, all these guys (aside from Rob) haven't shown the staying power to sit in constant title contention long-term.

Costa's leaving after his fight with Rob, the rest of the upper echelon are going to be forced to fight those 6-12 ranked types sooner or later, and the guard will start to change with your Khamzat's, your Muniz's, your Nickal's etc.

^I think these are the guys that'll give Alex the most trouble.

Curious as to weight Rob would fight Pereira at? (Not weigh in weight, fight weight)

Pereira looked 20 pounds heavier at least than Izzy on fight night

Rob doesn’t look a big MW, he might be giving away 15-20 pounds on fight night. That’s a problem if your game plan is to grapple. The more I think about it I’m not sure Rob can get it done if it happens

Whittaker would look tiny against Pereira but I'm still very confident he can get the fight to the ground and get to work. He prefers striking because he's good at, but Whittaker is very well-rounded. Whereas Pereira looked all at sea on the ground.

That being said, I think Nickos66 makes a great point. Problem is, the up-and-coming MWs don't have great reaches. The exception is Muniz, who is not a good striker but could at least keep some range. Pereira is just enormous and has granite in his gloves, so it'll take a strong gameplan and good defence on top of the grappling to beat him. I would back Vettori and Whittaker, and wouldn't be surprised at all if Khamzat walked through him.

Would love AP to go to LHW though. He's 35, and those weight cuts can't be easy. I imagine Jiri would go straight to grappling but regardless, it's a killer fight.

Why will he find it easier to take Pereira down than Izzy?

Pereira is a significantly bigger dude.

There are weight classes for a reason.

Somehow Pereira has massively hacked the system and is effectively fighting a weight class down.

Maybe Vettori could point-wrestle Pereira for five rounds, but that's still five rounds starting on the feet...

Somehow Pereira has massively hacked the system and is effectively fighting a weight class down.

Maybe Vettori could point-wrestle Pereira for five rounds, but that's still five rounds starting on the feet...
Because Rob's a way better wrestler than Izzy.

Izzy took Periera down and Rob's a way better wrestler

I think we are talking about different things.

The interloper wrote:

Izzy wasn't too easy to get down for Rob but he should find it easier against Pereira.

And I am asking, if Izzy wasn't easy for Rob to take down, why will Pereira be easier for Rob to take down than Izzy was?

The reason I am asking is because Pereira is significantly heavier than Izzy.

So if Rob struggled to take down Izzy, why will he find it easier to take down Pereira?

Yeah Pereira is bigger but Izzy’s TDD appears to be better generally, I think Izzy can avoid the initial clinch better as well. I guess we’ll see though, I initially thought Whittaker beats Pereira but I’m not so sure now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The interloper wrote:

Izzy wasn't too easy to get down for Rob but he should find it easier against Pereira.

And I am asking, if Izzy wasn't easy for Rob to take down, why will Pereira be easier for Rob to take down than Izzy was?

So if Rob struggled to take down Izzy, why will he find it easier to take down Pereira?
Rob didn't struggle to take Izzy down purely because of his size though. Izzy does actually have a decent understanding and experience of defensive wrestling to go with his MMA experience.

Although Alex is training with Glover, he's still very raw with his grappling in general. Rob did qualify 1st in Aus for the for the 2018 Commonwealth games a few years ago in the 97kg (220 odd lbs) category. So the issue would be more - closing the distance safely than actually getting him off his feet. IMO.

Rob didn't struggle to take Izzy down purely because of his size though. Izzy does actually have a decent understanding and experience of defensive wrestling to go with his MMA experience.

Although Alex is training with Glover, he's still very raw with his grappling in general. Rob did qualify 1st in Aus for the for the 2018 Commonwealth games a few years ago in the 97kg (220 odd lbs) category. So the issue would be more - closing the distance safely than actually getting him off his feet. IMO.

Agreed, Jan is the only one to have really kept Izzy on his back, and it's not like Whittaker (in the second one), Romero and Gastelum didn't try. I think Gastelum may have took him down for one second and Romero something similar.

Izzy definitely appears to have better TDD than Pereira, but Pereira has a size advantage which really helps in grappling. This combined with some knowledge may help him against the smaller Whittaker, enough to stay on the feet? I'm not really sure.

The interloper wrote:

If it was all about size then the wrestling ranks would be dominated by only the most massive blokes. Pereira is no doubt a massive, strong dude, but he's proven himself to have only rudimentary grappling ability, including TDD, to this stage of his career.

I think its what makes Periera's next fight so fascinating. Not Izzy's biggest fan but wouldn't be upset if got a rematch. If he's not right to go for a while, then we still have some interesting match ups.

Don't want to s**t on talented guys losing, but it's refreshing to see Edwards and Periera winning. Both Usman and Izzy are a amazingly talented, but shows that they aren't unbeatable.

IMO why it's the best sport at the moment. Anything can happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back