MMA-UFC UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs Mir

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the finish of r2 in the magny lombard fight...i counted 95 punches that got through

I've done a complete 180 on Magny. When he first started winning a bunch of fights I thought he's still not that good and he's pretty boring. Now I really look forward to seeing him fight. The story about him asking Maia if he could go to his seminar and then showing up to it was cool too.

Hunt with another walk off KO. Awesome.

Magny/Lombard was crazy. It should have been stopped towards the end of round 2 for sure. Magny was in a lot of trouble in round 1 and other
referees might have stopped it then, but Lombard was completely done late in round 2. At least the ref stopped it quickly in round 3 when Lombard got in more trouble. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions based on only a couple of fights, but Australian referees seem to be willing to let you fight on longer than others would. Perceval was the ref for Magny/Lombard and the bald Australian guy (I forget his name) was the ref in Miocic/Hunt.

Really good win for Matthews. I thought Case would be too good for him at this stage of his career. Matthews looked way better than he did last time. He's only 21 and hasn't been fighting that long, so having a massive increase in technical ability isn't a surprise. It was a close fight and then Matthews did a great job to finish it.

I didn't expect Kelly to win either. He got dominated in that first round and then turned it around. Bad loss for Carlos Junior.

Bosse/Te Huna was ending by KO in all likelihood. And it was Bosse who won. It doesn't tell us much except that maybe continuing to fight after this isn't a great idea for Te Huna.

I thought Ham won, but it was close. Rawlings looks like she's improved a lot on the feet. It's partly technical improvements, but more than that I think it's that she realised she had to not be so aggressive. She's still aggressive, but not to a fault like she was before. It was a fun fight.

Jouban destroyed O'Reilly as we all thought he would. Good win for Hooker. Smith/Nakai was a bit weird, but fairly entertaining. Pearson/Laprise was a good, technical striking contest and was too close for me to say anything about the decision.

Just saw that there were no 10-8 rounds in Magny/Lombard. Just 10-9s. :thumbsdown:

That's terrible judging. The 1st round was a clear 10-8 for Lombard. The 2nd was at least a 10-8 round for Magny. I think since there was a prolonged onslaught and that the fight should have been stopped makes a 10-7 Magny round a real possibility. Amazing that Magny got knocked down in the round and was still able to win the round so decisively.

Also just saw that Magny has been knocked down 4 times in his last 2 fights and won them both. That's something. He needs to work on that if he's going to continue rising the WW ranks. Early in fights is when he gets cracked more often than not. There's the Gastelum fight though, where he was doing well until later in the fight when Gastelum realised he can let his hands go and dropped him a couple of times.

Mir 2-6 in his last 8, must be just about done.
Nah he is a heavy weight mate you are never done. The top ten now is almost the same as it was 10 years ago. There is little development, not many prospects a couple of quick Kos and your in the mix.

Nah he is a heavy weight mate you are never done. The top ten now is almost the same as it was 10 years ago. There is little development, not many prospects a couple of quick Kos and your in the mix.

Whilst I agree that with how thin the division is its only one or two wins away from being back in the hunt I personally (and I suspect Dignan as well) would hope he looks at it, with his accident years ago and being very chinny now it's about his health as well.

O'Reilly is limited and small for the weight class. I expect he'll spend the first minute trying desperately to drag Jouban to the ground and the second minute covering up while taking a beating. I don't see it lasting much longer than that.

Should have had money on this! :p

Just saw that there were no 10-8 rounds in Magny/Lombard. Just 10-9s. :thumbsdown:

I thought both rounds were 10-8's and am surprised that at least one of the three judges didn't deem one of them worthy. Lombard did finish the first round poorly which may have swayed the judges away from a 10-8 and he scored a knockdown in the second round which may have done the same.

Agree that it's probably time for Mir to hang them up. He's taken a lot of KO losses in his time and still (thankfully) has his wits about him. He's extrememly well spoken and knows the game back to front, so there's a clear role for him calling fights or being an analyst when he does decide to hang them up. He's come back well from vicious KO losses well before, but I'd rather see him get out while the getting is good rather than when some serious damage has been done.

Magny and Lombard was a great fight. Hector could well have got the stoppage in the first round, but when he didn't it was pretty clear that Magny was going to dominate. At 38 he's still going to be a handfull for most guys at 170, but I think his title dreams are about done now. Magny is fast becoming one of my favourite's and his ability to weather that storm was incredible. His chin is a worry when going against the top guys at 170 but, as he showed yesterday, he's hard to put away and has cardio for days. He's put himself in line for a big match up in the next few months.

Was stoked to see Matthews win (even if he did cost me a $180 multi!) as I was pretty high on Case going in to the fight. His stand up has come a long way and his grappling looked as sharp as ever. Case held his own and arguably out-grappled a highly regarded black belt in Yan Cabral, so to tap him out is a pretty impressive feat.

Amazing comeback by Kelly! Carlos Jr has looked impressive at middleweight and looked much bigger than Dan. I don't know if him rolling his ankle effected his performance at all, but from the start of round two it looked like a completely different fight. It'll likely be the career highlight for Dan as I can't see him beating anyone higher up the middleweight ladder, but it was awesome.

I'm guessing that's the last we'll see of Te Huna in the octagon. That was pretty brutal and against a guy who lasted just over 30 seconds in his UFC debut... not a good look. I believe that's 4 straight 1st round finishes Te Huna has suffered now.

I thought Rawlings was getting outstruck for the majority of the fight, but wasn't paying close enough attention to have scored the fight. Ham impressed me, but she's clearly an atomweight fighting up a weight class.

Whilst I agree that with how thin the division is its only one or two wins away from being back in the hunt I personally (and I suspect Dignan as well) would hope he looks at it, with his accident years ago and being very chinny now it's about his health as well.

Should have elaborated more, but yeah, this is more what I was getting at.

He could go on but I don't know if he should, like Hardy and Stann were discussing on the post fight show. He's copped a bit and he has nothing left to prove. He's a super competitive guy though so I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back