UK UK general election, July 4

Remove this Banner Ad

An embarrassing election announcement - soaking wet, while a song famous for its ties to Labour blares (no pun intended) in the background.

Of course, that song also gives the reminder that, whatever one's view now of Blair, there was enormous excitement buoying him and Labour in 1997 and people were extremely invested in his project. That is definitely not the case with Starmer.

An embarrassing election announcement - soaking wet, while a song famous for its ties to Labour blares (no pun intended) in the background.

Of course, that song also gives the reminder that, whatever one's view now of Blair, there was enormous excitement buoying him and Labour in 1997 and people were extremely invested in his project. That is definitely not the case with Starmer.

1997 Election had the first single issue anti European party running with James Goldsmith's Referendum Party, it didn't do very well but it set the wheels in motion for the disaster that is Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...al-election-for-july-in-surprise-move-sources

Sunak gambling that the low inflation figures will be enough to save the furniture. But it won't be. Starmer can't lose from here unless he's caught in some horrific scandal, surely.

I've given up hope UK Labor can win.

The Tories seem weirdly untouchable over there. No amount of Brexit ****-ups, incompetent or corrupt Leaders/ PMs falling on their own swords or economic mismanagement seems to convince enough Britons to vote them out.

The Tories seem weirdly untouchable over there. No amount of Brexit heck-ups, incompetent or corrupt Leaders/ PMs falling on their own swords or economic mismanagement seems to convince enough Britons to vote them out.
If you're being serious, betting sites are offering excellent odds on the Conservatives retaining government. You could make good money if you trust your own convictions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want Labor to win, and they clearly deserve to.

Its the voters of the UK I've lose faith in.
Okay, I'm just saying, if you trust your own instincts you can make a motza here.

Personally, I think Labour will romp it in, and the election will be called by the media after about 10 minutes.

The Tories seem weirdly untouchable over there. No amount of Brexit heck-ups, incompetent or corrupt Leaders/ PMs falling on their own swords or economic mismanagement seems to convince enough Britons to vote them out.
The labor party have been the bookies darlings for a reason and whilst the tories will narrow in the opinion polls ,come voting day the labor party will form govt with a significant majority

Labour went on too long with the old hippy and BoJo managed to pull the wool over the eyes of the electorate with his oh I am a super chap upper class twittery.
The conservatives have just acted like lemmings and thrown themselves off the cliff ever since. They have no valid policies , inept and stupid mp's and leaders who have been among the worst in history.
I can understand Malifice being sceptical of the UK electorate but this time around the conservatives are committing seppuku. Labour under Starmer will romp it in and I would expect the Liberal Democrats to grab a few seats from the conservatives as well.

Bigger than 1997?

Think the polls will narrow, but there are probably fewer party-loyal voters these days to leave the Tories with a safe-enough rump. Or they all split the vote with Reform and they get truly obliterated.

I feel like the announcement in the rain is an appeal to pity, it was intentional

"Oh look, we're downtrodden like you, vote for us"

It's really all they have

Heard a bit of BBC commentary on this today, apparently they haven't even completed their equivalent of pre-selection yet and there are a number of constituencies that don't even have a conservative candidate yet.

This is going to be a bloodbath.

It took a long time, but Tories finally screwing themselves over

Any signs Murdoch drops them? It’s all the have. Mind you he supported Morrison, one of the worst govts ever

Maybe not

52078636-8603-4E51-A39A-6F8A85ADD138.png

Last edited:
Murdoch's influence has dropped off and I don't really think they could sell to its readers that reelecting the Conservatives is a good thing.
They will go in attack mode once Starmer gets in , can see them backing another tilt at the conservative leadership for BoJo though.

Every poll suggests Labour win, and form a comfortable majority government, but a lot hinges on how much voter apathy exists. A summer election means the weather surely won't hurt turn out, but if enough voters - especially younger ones - see Labour as not being different enough to the Tories, we could - could - wind up with a hung Parliament.

but if enough voters - especially younger ones - see Labour as not being different enough to the Tories
Here this from a few younger uk people, they really cant stand Starmer and feel like the current Labor party is far too right wing for them to vote for them so wont at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back