Under 18 National Championships Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re Viney: I really like this kid and as a rule I favor these types of players, but lets be real, he's a Jude Bolton type.

Would I use a top ten pick on him? Probably not.

He looked pretty good, didn't play in the midfield much because it's only his second game back from that broken jaw (first was a school game last Sat). When he was in the midfield he was a ball magnet.

Looked ok, but did get caught a bit, kicking wasnt very effective - at all.
Viney gives it all, Id prefer Wines myself - as he adds a bit to the outside aswell as inside.

The WA/SA game looks of a higher quality atm.

Just got home. Freezing my arse off so didn't hang around for SA vs WA. A comedy of errors from the umpires.

Was Viney wearing 35? Because I didn't see him once. I was looking for a lot of the game, but couldn't find him. I see he got it 16 times, but I can't remember any of them. Was he in the backline?

Billings was very good. Seemed to be running around by himself for ages.
I'm with Sunny, I love Ollie Wines. Going to be a gun.
Matt Crouch was good, as was Lewis Taylor.

was number 28 mate, was meant to be 35 though

I was down there for the game, Thought Viney was pretty good, hard to follow who is who though, agree Wines seemed to be the other stand out, couldnt find Whitfield alot of teh time although he was around just hard. I thought Viney had a around 3-4 clearances from what i see in the last 2.5 quarters? ran and made alot of space all day, running both ways through the centre. He is REALLY small, 178 would be it imo, was noticably smaller than almost all on the ground today.

I havnt looked at the stats and its hard to keep track of all these numbers you dont know but i would have had Viney easily in my bests for the day, saw a bit of Luke Mcdonald around the ball when i worked out his number (norths father son next year).

Didnt work out Vlastuins number till late so cant really comment. number 9 for Metro O'Rouke? off the half back looked solid in the last half imo, anyone else have an opinion?

Viney with 16 touches and a few tackles and clearances is pretty goof for 80 minutes work, didnt seem to go to the bench much either

This is what i took out of it looking on, agree with a few people, that it was hard to figure out who each kid is, especially with a fee jumper changes ect.........and no commentary at the ground ect

But i liked the names above, Wines, Viney, Mcdonald and O'rouke

Didnt notice Whitfield or Vlastuin but it was hard to work it all out, he could have been best on haha?

Re Viney: I really like this kid and as a rule I favor these types of players, but lets be real, he's a Jude Bolton type.

Would I use a top ten pick on him? Probably not.

If you could guarantee GWS that Viney would be a clone of Jude Bolton they would be all over him in a second. A hard nut, 300 gamer who wins the hard ball and uses it pretty well is going to be pretty popular with most teams I would have thought.

By way of comparison it would be like saying I would not use a top 10 pick on a Glen Archer type player.

was number 28 mate, was meant to be 35 though

I was down there for the game, Thought Viney was pretty good, hard to follow who is who though, agree Wines seemed to be the other stand out, couldnt find Whitfield alot of teh time although he was around just hard. I thought Viney had a around 3-4 clearances from what i see in the last 2.5 quarters? ran and made alot of space all day, running both ways through the centre. He is REALLY small, 178 would be it imo, was noticably smaller than almost all on the ground today.

I havnt looked at the stats and its hard to keep track of all these numbers you dont know but i would have had Viney easily in my bests for the day, saw a bit of Luke Mcdonald around the ball when i worked out his number (norths father son next year).

Didnt work out Vlastuins number till late so cant really comment. number 9 for Metro O'Rouke? off the half back looked solid in the last half imo, anyone else have an opinion?

Viney with 16 touches and a few tackles and clearances is pretty goof for 80 minutes work, didnt seem to go to the bench much either

This is what i took out of it looking on, agree with a few people, that it was hard to figure out who each kid is, especially with a fee jumper changes ect.........and no commentary at the ground ect

But i liked the names above, Wines, Viney, Mcdonald and O'rouke

Didnt notice Whitfield or Vlastuin but it was hard to work it all out, he could have been best on haha?
That makes sense then. I saw 28 a lot, haha. He did play pretty well.
Whitfield played forward for a lot of the game. Missed a few easy shots. When he was around the ball in the middle though he was great. Moves through packs extremely well.

Vlastuin played off a half back flank a fair bit im pretty sure. I didn't find him until about the start of the 3rd quarter either.
O'Rourke was 14 im pretty sure. He played pretty well.

I thought Mason Wood played alright too. A fair way to go yet, but I can se him being taken with a late pick.

What number was McDonald wearing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a GWS fan I am hoping we can pick up a ruckman and looking at this game and what has been said Brodie Grundy looks the goods. His tap work and skills around the park are impressive. I could see him feeding our emerging midfield and helping out our outstanding young forwards. If we could get him, a quality senior bodied defender and some more depth I'd be stoked.

That makes sense then. I saw 28 a lot, haha. He did play pretty well.
Whitfield played forward for a lot of the game. Missed a few easy shots. When he was around the ball in the middle though he was great. Moves through packs extremely well.

Vlastuin played off a half back flank a fair bit im pretty sure. I didn't find him until about the start of the 3rd quarter either.
O'Rourke was 14 im pretty sure. He played pretty well.

I thought Mason Wood played alright too. A fair way to go yet, but I can se him being taken with a late pick.

What number was McDonald wearing?

I think Mcdonald was 20 for Metro thats what the web said? *i think*

Also the highlighted, Whitfield looked light on his feet, even just running around looked fluent, but is easy to judge him like that i was built up to expect him to play *nice*

For the Country-Metro game, I thought the umpiring was just bizarre. Some absurd calls which kind of ruined the flow of the game and it was pretty amateur how they stuffed up that runner in the fifty incident.

I thought Hrovat was the standout. Got a lot of it, inside and outside, ran hard and has a level of class above most at this level. Will be questions about his size, but the same questions were there over Toby Greene and Devon Smith last year and we've seen that they can be pretty effective. Tom Boyd is an absolute monster of a guy for an underager, so you'd expect the kind of marks he was taking, but his goalkicking though was terrific and not something you would usually see from a 200cm player. Billings looks tiny, but constantly outsmarts his opponent and has no trouble taking marks. Will be very highly sought after next year.

Metro have a number of father sons who have been talked up a lot. McDonald had a quiet first half, but his third quarter was terrific coming off the half back flank with that damaging left boot. Viney was solid, took a while to get in the game, but when he did he found a bit of it, just looked a bit hurried and unpolished with his disposal. Hunter really bobbed up a lot early looking dangerous with his pace and vision inside 50, but quietened after that. Stewart ddin't get near it all day.

For Vic Country, Crouch was probably their best today. Finds plenty of it and is another one who can find it at the bottom of the packs and also out wide on the spread. Wines was solid, kicked a nice goal and came close to another. Membrey and Calvert took some nice marks, but just weren't influential enough aside from some small periods. Whitfield threatened, but never really put it together today and disappointingly was very quiet in the second half. Clurey battled away, but was crucified by the umpires on a couple of occasions.

The disposal of the two sides, particularly in the last quarter was quite ordinary and from looking at the start of the WA-SA game it looks to be continuing so maybe it could be the conditions.

Finally Garlett gets a major for his efforts.

17 touches, 2 tackles and has kicked 1.2 midway through the third. Obviously not an inside player, but looks all class. Where do most have him pegged to go? Surely he'd be first round by now.

I would have him in my top 10 from what I have seen over the Champs. His inside work has come on very well and once he gets into space he is very classy. There is not a lot of reasons to dislike him.

I would have him in my top 10 from what I have seen over the Champs. His inside work has come on very well and once he gets into space he is very classy. There is not a lot of reasons to dislike him.

This is the first time I've seen him in action. Has he been this good since the Carnival started? :eek: Surprised he isn't being talked about more often.

The only drawback was that discipline thing, but with his interviews saying that it's passed him, followed by performances like this, I could see top 10. He's exciting to watch when he's got space, that's for sure.

Where will Mcdonough go? Has obviously stood out in a big way today, probably not first round material due to his height but he could be a good value pick in the second or third round.

Garlett is just what the MFC needs... not sure we would take him at pick 4 though, and I doubt he would slip to pick 13.

Garlett is just what the MFC needs... not sure we would take him at pick 4 though, and I doubt he would slip to pick 13.

He wont last till 13, could make a case of him ahead of Viney - and theres talk we'll take him at 3.

Garlett is simply all class, exactly what we need.

I like Oliver Wines aswell, but SA had plenty of really impressive kids aswell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back