Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Cripps looks animated from Pixar

Only taking this from the negative comments I saw on the Supercoach board, but last nights game was a belter.

Had a horrid week of sleep thanks to a crazy toddler, and despite drifting in and out of sleep for the entire second half I couldn't bring myself to go to bed.

Both teams looked dangerous on the rebound and there was some great skill by foot on display.

Massive top 8 implications in the result too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpies should be full time employees, judged not just on their physical fitness but their decision making. Why a "professional" sport relies on part time employees to represent the governing body does my head in.

how much difference do you think it would make?

I can't see how Richmond can claim any unfair treatment.

Plenty of prime time and blockbuster games. Also more than 50% games at their MCG home base.
Leading the league in average total and home attendances makes every game we play a blockbuster. Your comment about the mcg is irrelevant. But your post only serves to prove my point that Richmond being a good club deserving of fair treatment being an unpopular opinion.

Leading the league in average total and home attendances makes every game we play a blockbuster. Your comment about the mcg is irrelevant. But your post only serves to prove my point that Richmond being a good club deserving of fair treatment being an unpopular opinion.
Where is anyone claiming Richmond are receiving any unfair treatment. You are suggesting that popular opinion is that Richmond deserve unfair treatment.

That is a nonsense.

Where is anyone claiming Richmond are receiving any unfair treatment. You are suggesting that popular opinion is that Richmond deserve unfair treatment.

That is a nonsense.
Try every gameday/umpire/mrp/richmond-related thread which is full of complaints that we are being gifted by the umps and mrp, despite frequently having less than half the free kicks of the opposition and being on another planet in the negative free kick differential for the last 5-6 years

Try every gameday/umpire/mrp/richmond-related thread which is full of complaints that we are being gifted by the umps and mrp, despite frequently having less than half the free kicks of the opposition and being on another planet in the negative free kick differential for the last 5-6 years

Lol.

Any of the comments along those lines are almost universally a consequence of the obligatory whinging and moaning that richmond’s own supporters initiate. See the Vlastuin MRP thread for example.

To anyone unfamiliar with sarcasm or irony, that thread would look like it’s a whole bunch of fans - many of them from Geelong - ganging up to crucify Nick Vlastuin for an onfield indiscretion.

More accurately, it’s a bunch of non tigers fans eager to see what Richmond supporters have to say about it after all of last weekend’s carry on and character assassination of Tom Stewart. Realistically none of us give two hecks about what Vlastuin did

Umpies should be full time employees, judged not just on their physical fitness but their decision making. Why a "professional" sport relies on part time employees to represent the governing body does my head in.

They don't want to be. There's only so many hours they can work on their craft before it becomes counter productive. Watching last weeks game 15 times during the week and going over their decisions isn't going to make them any better, probably just lead to psychological problems.

One thorough review of last weeks game and a couple of fitness sessions is really all they can do. Then you are just paying them a fulltime wage to sit at home the rest of the week. Then you have to pay them way more because they don't want to give up their careers outside of football. Plus they will demand massive 10-15 year contracts so they have security while the rest of their lives go down the toilet. Imagine finding out the umpire who just cost your team the game has a 10 year guraenteed contract. Its completely unfeasable

They don't want to be. There's only so many hours they can work on their craft before it becomes counter productive. Watching last weeks game 15 times during the week and going over their decisions isn't going to make them any better, probably just lead to psychological problems.

One thorough review of last weeks game and a couple of fitness sessions is really all they can do. Then you are just paying them a fulltime wage to sit at home the rest of the week. Then you have to pay them way more because they don't want to give up their careers outside of football. Plus they will demand massive 10-15 year contracts so they have security while the rest of their lives go down the toilet. Imagine finding out the umpire who just cost your team the game has a 10 year guraenteed contract. Its completely unfeasable

It would make more sense if they did less like a uber driver

Remove this Banner Ad

Back