Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I love watching women's cricket, wager on it too. What I have learnt is not to compare it to the mens at this stage. Amazing in comparison to the men how poor running between wickets is.
Women's cricket as a professional, or even semi pro game is less than five years old, those sort of things will improve with time. I think it's brilliant that women now have some sort of professional pathway through sport.

Women's cricket as a professional, or even semi pro game is less than five years old, those sort of things will improve with time. I think it's brilliant that women now have some sort of professional pathway through sport.

I think they need to take the "speed" gun readings out of it though, at one of the BBL games last year an opening bowler was bowling mid 100s, helps no one to know that.

Will be interesting to see what it's like in 10 years.

In state politics law, and order often the only way to differentiate yourself from your opponent. As you say, it's a race to the bottom, I'm guessing the Hun is leading the way in the fear mongering. The Addy here was screaming about STREETS OF FEAR, on the front page this morning. Honestly, it will be a great day for democracy in this country when Murdoch draws his final breath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In state politics law, and order often the only way to differentiate yourself from your opponent. As you say, it's a race to the bottom, I'm guessing the Hun is leading the way in the fear mongering. The Addy here was screaming about STREETS OF FEAR, on the front page this morning. Honestly, it will be a great day for democracy in this country when Murdoch draws his final breath.
I somehow managed to get subscribed to the Hun's daily email digest. It's hilarious, I presume the Apex gang is a deadly militia roaming the streets killing with impunity?

I really don't see the point in women in (most) professional sport, the product will just never be as good, why don't women just make their peace with the fact that they can't make decent money playing sport (unless they're a top flight tennis player or something) just like I'll never make money by selling smoothies on instagram.

I really don't see the point in women in (most) professional sport, the product will just never be as good, why don't women just make their peace with the fact that they can't make decent money playing sport (unless they're a top flight tennis player or something) just like I'll never make money by selling smoothies on instagram.
What a dickhead mindset.

You don't really know if you don't try though.

I don't think it should be a given that they make a wage that is x amount of dollars, meaning it's enough to make a living of it.

But it should be dependent on the fans, what they are willing to pay, and how much sponsorships and advertisements value the fan interest in whatever women's sport.

But to say, it should never be attempted in the first place because it's already a given that it will fail, is premature.

On the point of women's cricket, Lisa Sthalekar commentates on the ABC and she is worse than Kelli Underwood, there I said it. Adds literally nothing insightful and often gets facts wrong and is just generally annoying.

I think she's ok to be honest, she's inexperienced but at least she seems to know the game. She needs a bit of polish though, she said that David Warner was "seeing them like lead balloons" yesterday.

I think they need to take the "speed" gun readings out of it though, at one of the BBL games last year an opening bowler was bowling mid 100s, helps no one to know that.

Cricket much like baseball needs all the stats and features it can get. Without discussion of the speed of bowlers and pitch track we'd get nothing but more old stories from commentators.

Its a slow, dull game cricket.

Cricket much like baseball needs all the stats and features it can get. Without discussion of the speed of bowlers and pitch track we'd get nothing but more old stories from commentators.

Its a slow, dull game cricket.

My point is that the low readings the women achieve on the speed gun will encourage viewers to take the piss out of them. Better off leaving it out and just presenting the bat vs ball contest.

My point is that the low readings the women achieve on the speed gun will encourage viewers to take the piss out of them. Better off leaving it out and just presenting the bat vs ball contest.

Nah, I think everyone is well aware that the women aren't going to be bowling at Shaun Tait speeds, if anything seeing the women clock 110-115kmh is going to make the average punter at home go "well I couldn't do that, so theyre better than me".

Nah, I think everyone is well aware that the women aren't going to be bowling at Shaun Tait speeds, if anything seeing the women clock 110-115kmh is going to make the average punter at home go "well I couldn't do that, so theyre better than me".
A great many fat dudes on couches will think they could do that. It's an ongoing joke in the NFL that guys at home think they can run the 40-yard dash faster than some NFL players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back