Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would disagree and say that most people who complain about a "PC society" are confused as to why there needs to be a public enquiry, or media shitstorm, or witchhunt, or court involvement every time somebody gets offended about something.

Just saw on Reddit a Scottish youtuber was arrested and is facing a year in prison for making this video:

Now I'm not one of those types that think being offended is bad, or a sign of weakness. there are things that offend me too. but I don't think somebody saying something offensive is cause for the public to hunt them down and get them fired from their job, or expelled from their school, or generally harassed by a bunch of strangers. And it's definitely not cause for the authorities to get involved.

I did say "most" ;)

Bullying is often the result of the 'victim'

People need to learn how to cope

Yeah. I was targeted at school but I never felt victimised, and therefore I don't really consider it bullying. I toughed up. It ain't as hard and counter-productive as some would have you believe.

Yeah. I was targeted at school but I never felt victimised, and therefore I don't really consider it bullying. I toughed up. It ain't as hard and counter-productive as some would have you believe.
What bullshit.

Almost all of the time it's older kids or bigger kids picking on kids that can't fight back or won't because it's not who they are. Actual proper bullying doesn't simply go away either simply by retaliating. A proper bully gets worse after seeing that it affects the victim.

It's even worse and more ****ed up these days with the advance in social media. When I was starting high school Facebook was relatively new. I'm just glad social media was so young when I went to school. The nasty mob mentality type s**t that people can do these days is horrific.

I'm not sure how the victim of bullying can do much when they're getting harassed both at school and online.

Girls are the worst at this. Unlike blokes they're not really going to go around parading how much bigger and stronger they are compared to the victim. Instead they tend to form cliques and totally alienate the victim. Really ****ed up.

Older? Check. Bigger? Huge check, I'm a skinny runt. Did it go away? Nope. I always gave back though, verbal and physical when required, but always calmly. Sometimes even defusing with self depreciation. Maybe it came from me being a big nerd and imitating movie and TV characters, I dunno, but I was never scared, because the outcome was up to me, and in the end its a controlled environment.

A mate had it worse than me though and he's a 6'4 brick shithouse. To say it has to do with size is bullocks. The 'bully' is all ego, all in the head. Nothing to do with weighing up the odds and likelihood of physical superiority. We've all seen that video where the skinny short kid is picking on the big fat kid, and eventually the big kid snaps and drops him.

I agree though, it would be infinitely worse in todays social media and smartphone climate. Nobody could be arsed to take bullying to myspace or msn.

Sent from mTalk

I do remember the Vice Principal turning a blind eye now I think about it, when my mate belted up some young punks that kept being lippy to us for no reason in his vicinity. That solved that problem.

Sent from mTalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That reminds me of the crap they're dishing up on Fox radio in Melbourne, setting up a birthday party for some 7 year old because no one went to his party last year, and all these friendless kids are meant to show up at Margaret Court Arena and all these celebrities and footy players will be there. They keep moaning on about how leaving someone out is "passive bullying" and kids need to be included but seriously though, if this kid doesn't have any friends, I'm fairly sure he's the problem, not them.
That kid you're referring to has cystic fibrosis, and no one has ever gone to one of his parties. A lot of kids with disabilities are unfortunately left out at school because people find it awkward to be around.

I hope he enjoys his party.

Bullying is often the result of the 'victim'

People need to learn how to cope

I agree somewhat. a lot of young people need to learn to deal with conflict better, and realise that bullies will continue to bully them because they allow themselves to be the victim.

but some bullying goes beyond. and honestly a lot of rules/legislation in schools and workplaces doesn't really allow for people to deal with their conflicts without getting an authority figure involved.

That kid you're referring to has cystic fibrosis, and no one has ever gone to one of his parties. A lot of kids with disabilities are unfortunately left out at school because people find it awkward to be around.

I hope he enjoys his party.
Yep this is definitely the case and must be one of the more heartbreaking things for the parents. It's not that the kids are deliberately being arseholes, they just don't know any better. The school honestly should be doing a better job. Also it has to come back to the parents too. It staggers me today still the number of people that are so ignorant about disabilities, diseases etc.

I had two cousins with an extremely rare disease that claimed both of them eventually but their schools always did a great job of ensuring they were accepted at school. The looks we'd sometimes get when in their presence in public were hard to believe though. Same with a friend I made in primary school that has Down Syndrome. Still till this day there's a-hole parents walking around with their kids staring at him like he's some sort of freak show.

I do remember the Vice Principal turning a blind eye now I think about it, when my mate belted up some young punks that kept being lippy to us for no reason in his vicinity. That solved that problem.

Sent from mTalk
The problem is these days schools are so heavily against violence so that just doesn't solve anything. I had an issue with a smart arse in my later high school days and gave him one. The school carried on like I pulled a machete on the kid.m

I agree it's not always about size etc. I was more talking about when certain people are powerless though. If some shithead has a lot of popularity at school or a physical advantage over a kid, that kid is going to have a real time of things and it isn't really his fault.

Nobody turned up to my 10th birthday party. That was an anomaly. I was popular in primary school and all my other parties were bangers!

High school was a different story.

Sent from mTalk

The problem is these days schools are so heavily against violence so that just doesn't solve anything. I had an issue with a smart arse in my later high school days and gave him one. The school carried on like I pulled a machete on the kid...

Yeah, no doubt students should be taught to avoid violence, but it isn't the end of the world. It's ridiculous how over the top it's gotten. In the play ground violence can still be a currency, a strong deterrent. Every 'bully' is prepared to is physicality, the issue is are the targets? Are the bullies prepared to be on the receiving end? Nope.

Culture has changed as well admittedly. No longer can things be punched out then moved on from. If the aggressor loses they just come back with mates, or go again with cheap shots. It's a complex issue for sure.

Basically for me, I learned from the home that violence is awful and being in pain sucks. I do wonder how many kids happy to be loud and obnoxious and belittling have been belittled and hurt themselves. Not close to as many as the cliches would suggest and that's another unpopular opinion.

Sent from mTalk

Bullying is a different world from when I was a kid. We had a phone in our house and got the internet in maybe 1995 when I was 11. ICQ, MSN etc. started to kick off late 90s. If a kid didn't like you they'd call you a poo-head in the playground or steal your lunch money or whatever.

These days kids that age all have iPads, iPhones, laptops etc. and are connected 24/7. If you don't like someone you can circulate photos, nasty comments etc. to hundreds of people within minutes.

At 6/7 though , surely the blame must go to the parents (as kids would have little say over whether they attend /don't attend a party )
I also wonder if missed school was a factor
Either way , I'm glad people stepped in and I hope the school /teachers intervene in the future to help him feel more welcome

Bullying these days is so much worse compared to when I was a kid. I finished primary school 10 years ago and the changes in kids and schools in that time is ridiculous, for better or worse. They rely so much on laptops and Ipads now, wtf happened to pen and paper? There's gonna be a generation of illiterate people who can't write properly.

Anyway, all this necessary connection to the internet for homework can only be a bad thing if you're a victim of bullying. I was bullied in primary school for one year and home was my sanctuary.

Sent from mTalk

It works well that's for sure, some people need a belting as a youngster, and if they can actually fight they should join a boxing gym to learn some humility.

Generally if a kid has to resort to violence when it comes to bullying, the school has failed. I don't remember any kids resorting to violence first time being bullied - usually accumulated incidents over weeks/months

Bullying is a different world from when I was a kid. We had a phone in our house and got the internet in maybe 1995 when I was 11. ICQ, MSN etc. started to kick off late 90s. If a kid didn't like you they'd call you a poo-head in the playground or steal your lunch money or whatever.

These days kids that age all have iPads, iPhones, laptops etc. and are connected 24/7. If you don't like someone you can circulate photos, nasty comments etc. to hundreds of people within minutes.

I've seen believable photoshops done by kids as young as 9 too (messenger creating websites etc), which is scary to think about how easy it is to make a kid a social pariah. Think a kid is a loser? Photoshop their name onto them messaging a girl, circulate it, easy social exclusion.

That Yassmin Abdel-Magied has been treated in the exact same manner that the PC-hating right wing hates.

Makes public comments that 'offend' some, outrage ensues, loses show soon after witchhunt.

Is that not what happens when someone makes a racist/sexist comment and 'offends' the PC-world? Everyone banging on about sensitive souls, safe spaces and people getting easily offended...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back