Remove this Banner Ad

Dont be a lemon

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jun 2, 2006
Party time all the time
AFL Club
Essendon
Unwanted greyhounds are being drained of their blood and then euthanised to help with the treatment of others, in the latest disturbing claims to hit the sport.

[...]

Queensland vet nurse Selena Cottrell-Dormer says a large percentage of greyhounds have a blood type referred to as universal, so most are able to receive it without having a transfusion reaction.

"Often they will be just absolutely bled to death and euthanised, put in a body bag and put in the freezer and taken away for incineration," she said.

"It's absolutely routine. No-one would bat an eyelid at that being the reality."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-07/blooding-greyhounds/5076970

Woof woof.

Afl players aren't drained of their blood if they get delisted.
That wasn't my point. Are greyhounds pumped up with neurological altering drugs to get a physical and financial edge? If AFL aint as sick for some of its practices compared to some of the greyhound industries, why?

Surely the wider point is, though, that as a sport it is so unviable that such massive quantities of over breeding is required to produce enough greyhounds for the racing to be of a reasonable standard.

I don't actually blame the vets who carry out the draining in the first place- they are making the best of a terrible situation. The real tragedy and farce is that there is such needless waste of perfectly healthy hounds in the first place.

Actually, there was a story on 7:30 very recently about doping in the greyhound racing industry.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2013/s3869813.htm

One of the main characters in that episode, Christos Arletos, was fined by GRNSW for making comments in that story that he couldn't back up with facts. The other main character, the vet, refused to meet with by GRNSW to discuss his bogus claims. 7.30 again going for the controversial view rather than the factual one.

Less than ONE percent of swabs come back positive, that's a fact that can be backed up!

One of the main characters in that episode, Christos Arletos, was fined by GRNSW for making comments in that story that he couldn't back up with facts. The other main character, the vet, refused to meet with by GRNSW to discuss his bogus claims. 7.30 again going for the controversial view rather than the factual one.

I don't want to say where there is smoke there is fire, but it does make you wonder. I have no objection in principle to greyhound racing. I'm just highlighting that there are questions asked of the industry.

I don't want to say where there is smoke there is fire, but it does make you wonder. I have no objection in principle to greyhound racing. I'm just highlighting that there are questions asked of the industry.

Your question can be answered honestly. http://www.thedogs.com.au/DPage.aspx?id=54

Drug Analysis and Testing
Year
% of positives
No. of samples tested
2002-03
2003-04
2004-05
2005-06
2006-07
2007-08
2008-09
2009-10
2010-11
2011-12
2012-13

Sorry about the lack of formatting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks, but unfortunately I have been misled too often by governing bodies (AFL, UCI etc) to just take their word on a matter of integrity.

That's fine mate but with what I've posted even the most sceptical would have to believe the figure of greyhounds raced with a prohibited substance (not necessarily deliberately doped - that figure is much less) is nowhere near 80%. If it were true don't you reckon 7.30 would have the figure corroborated? There's a reason they didn't do that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back