Autopsy vs Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I am seething right now. I can't believe we produced such crap. I thought I had travelled back in time and was watching a brad scott coached team. it looked like we just wanted to play unaccountable football. there were so many free Sydney players. we definitely did not play our brand of football today. a few things that caught my eye today.
  1. Jy has arrived. he is a star.
  2. when dumont gets a shot at goal from 40+ meters out, someone should always run around and get a handball from him. he has problems from this distance.
  3. just because you have a hard tag Higgins, doesn't give you the right to look disinterested in the game. some of your efforts today going at the ball were putrid. you are so much better than that but for today you should be ashamed of your effort. you are one of our leaders. if you show no intent, why should anyone else. ps i still love you but my heart was a little broken today.
  4. did the players have soap on their hands today? there were so many fumbles its was mindboggling. we gave away so much of any advantage we could have had when we couldn't one grab the ball.
  5. mason wood the less I say the better.
  6. our shots at goal. how can afl players be so bad at it? I reckon I could have a six pack and still kick straighter.
  7. finally ryhce. I really hope you rip the players another a***hole this week at training and run them off their feet. this includes the players that can hold their heads up high. I want those players that looked lacklustre out there today to feel even more s**t when they see the guys that put in a great effort are being punished because of the lack of effort from them. oh and i expect changes this week. i dont want another no changes as i am backing the boys in.
the only positive i can take out of today is, all this fluff talk of how good the saints are :rolleyes:.

So many relatively gettable goals missed by Brown, Hall, Jack early in the game sapped our confidence, and spread the horrible disposal virus team wide.

Higgins appeared to miss Cunners at least as much as me, going by his output, Jy was a shining light on a very dreary day.

More than a few match ups were not right today, Papley, Heeny, at the top of the list.

That was a soft effort by the boys. I think the Swans tactic of placing mirrors around the boundary line really worked. Our guys couldn't get enough looks at themselves.

Lost our structure around the contest without cunners and we didn’t hold space when the ball was in dispute

swans either negated with pressure or flicked it to the outside and we couldn’t stop their run or defend the fast moving ball.

pretty good blueprint to beat us really.

we need to win first possession and have our pressure dialled up to be on song, otherwise we don’t have the defensive speed to go with cleaner sides on the spread

That was a soft effort by the boys. I think the Swans tactic of placing mirrors around the boundary line really worked. Our guys couldn't get enough looks at themselves.

For as long as the inconsistency is there my hesitation around games like today will be as well.

We could win the next two, we could lose the next two. Who f***ing knows with us.

Yeah, can't blame the lad but to say he did well on Heeney you obviously weren't watching the game closely or your football knowledge is sub par.
He had some shockers WRT to decision making but also thought he showed some promising signs from a long term perspective. He'll learn a lot from this.

Bit delusional
Hayden was unbelievably bad
Ahern hopeless
Thomas invisible
Bonar clearly out of his depth

they showed us up.....again

R, I can’t understand how you can’t see the plus side of Kyron. I remember Ben Cunningtons first few games were similar while he was adjusting to the speed of AFL. The only mistake was positioning him inside our defensive 50 so often. It would be an OK strategy in a Marsh Cup match. I believe Jy & Ky were the only positives that came out of today.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R, I can’t understand how you can’t see the plus side of Kyron. I remember Ben Cunnington’s first few games were similar while he was adjusting to the speed of AFL. The only mistake was positioning him inside our defensive 50 so often. It would be an OK strategy in a Marsh Cup match. I believe Jy & Ky were the only positives that came out of today.

Putting a third gamer on their best forward is one of the all time bonehead moves.

If this is true there better be changes accompanying it or it's just words like the last bloke.

It's nice in theory but need genuine changes of blokes who deserve it and not just for the sake of it.

In saying that Marley and Cunners should hopefully come back in next week.

R, I can’t understand how you can’t see the plus side of Kyron. I remember Ben Cunningtons first few games were similar while he was adjusting to the speed of AFL. The only mistake was positioning him inside our defensive 50 so often. It would be an OK strategy in a Marsh Cup match. I believe Jy & Ky were the only positives that came out of today.

He had 6 possessions and gave away two free kicks directly in front of goal. I am sure he will get there but in a normal season you would say he has had a taste and now knows what is required so he can work on that in the VFL.

To describe Kyron as one of the two positives out of the game is nonsense.

We shot ourselves in the foot with exceptionally poor finishing, a number of our forwards are less than a 50% chance at goal from dead in front, we are going to lose games when we kick ourselves out of games and allow the opposition to get momentum.

Good:
Simpkin
Goldstein

And that is about it, everyone else was somewhere between average, mediocre or poor.

Far too many players were soft at the contest, didn't put their body behind the ball, made way too many defensive errors and the pressure and defensive aspect of our footy is meant to be our strength.

Lack of leadership and the inconsistency has been the biggest disappointment, it has been something that has plagued our footy for way too long.
If we tried to shoot ourselves in the foot, we'd probably miss.

No need to over complicate it.

We butchered our chances throughout the game. And we still could have pinched it.

Their late misses closed the gap in the scoring shots, but if we kick straight(er) we’re sitting here cranking ourselves over the ability of the team to still get it done on a bad day.

Indeed. A dirty day, but no need to throw the toys out of the cot. Sky is not falling yet.

We were cute and lairy and we got a lesson around the ball. Played in patches, left too much to too few. Shaw would be pretty upset you’d think, he didn’t have a great day either but I doubt he encouraged them to be half arsed and lazy. When you are half arsed and lazy the little things don’t go your way. I’ll wait til next week at least before panicking/confidently declaring that nothing has changed.

Hall was a plus but unless he gets smarter with his disposal opposition coaches will be happy to let him rack it up as they sit on Polec and Higgins. Thomas needs a spell. Bonar too. Wood started brightly by was invisible after half time. Higgins some disgraceful soft efforts. Could go on.

The Mongrel Punt AFL for Everyone logo

PicsArt_06-20-05.22.52-759x500.jpg

HEROES AND ZEROES – SYDNEY V NORTH MELBOURNE
ROBERT ABRAHAMSJUNE 20, 2020
AFL SEASON 20200 COMMENTS 0

The Swans’ “bloods” spirit was on show in their victory over North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium. Driven by a more consistent midfield effort and solid defensive output, Sydney proved too strong for a sloppy Roos outfit. Here are the heroes & zeroes from the game:
Heroes

Jy Simpkin
Arguably best on ground, North’s young midfielder came of age today, delivering a premium midfield performance across all four quarters in the absence of North’s powerhouse, Ben Cunnington. Simpkin racked up 26 touches and a goal, but most impressively, 14 bites of the Sherrin came in contested play.
It’s no doubt Simpkin has the grunt required to be a future Shinboner leader. In fact, he has the potential to be a future skipper. Hard at the ball, a hard runner and with a smooth kicking ability to boot, Simpkin is deserving of three Brownlow votes for today’s effort.

George Hewett
With Cunnington out, the focus of the North midfield shifted to Shaun Higgins, and so did the attention of George Hewett. Last week, under considerable attention from Matt de Boer, Higgins broke the shackles, but he was unable to do so against Hewett, who restricted him to just 11 disposals for the game.
It was a class tagging performance from Hewett, who has demonstrated the ability to win his own ball when required.

Dane Rampe
Ben Brown burst out of the blocks with two early goals and it looked as though he was set to lead the Roos to a big victory. Enter Dane Rampe. Brown could have had four goalsin the first quarter, but following that Rampe wore him like a glove for the next three terms. Always clean, calm, cool and collected, Rampe provided plenty of link-up options for the Swans midfield brigade, patrolling the backline with composure.
It was also testament to Rampe’s ability to come back from a situation where he had his colours lowered, to take control of his direct opponent and have a big influence on the outcome. Well played, Dane!

Isaac Heeney
Heeeeeney…how good is Isaac Heeney? I’ve always been a fan of Isaac and still find it hard to believe that he is only 24 years of age. Heeney’s aerial talents were on show today, with the blonde number five clunking eight marks, with several of them coming at crucial points of the game. But it wasn’t just Heeney’s marking which impressed me – it was his gut running too! Heeney was all over the park for the entirety of the game, constantly providing a marking option higher up the field. Mr consistency, Isaac Heeney, delivers again, and now that he has been established as the Swans’ number one forward target, we can expect some big games from him this season.
One has to wonder whether, if he had his time over again, if Rhyce Shaw may have left Jasper Pittard on Heeney instead of allowing youngster, Kyron Hayden to be victimized by his bigger, stronger and more experienced opponent?

Tom Papley
After Luke McDonald did the job on Toby Greene last week, this match up had huge potential. And it was the dangerous Tom Papley that came out on top.
He finished with just one goal, but his ability to create resulted in seven score involvements and two direct goal assists. when Papley touches the ball, good things happened.

Zeroes

Aaron Hall
It’s not harsh to accuse the former Sun of being greedy, just look at the source of his three behinds today. Hall’s knack of blazing away without considering more appropriate marking options was all too obvious, with the enigma taking wild shots at goal multiple times. North actually looked great with Hall on the run, and indeed, he nailed a lovely goal on the eve of three quarter time, but he needs to remember that AFL is a TEAM game. If I’m Rhys Shaw, Hall is out next week.

Will Hayward
Barely sighted, the Swans forward had a shocker today. His poor match was summed up when he gave away a silly free kick for shoving Jasper Pittard toward the boundary fence with the footy already well out of play. Hayward is incredibly talented, but needs to work harder on the outside. With just six touches and a goal, Hayward needs to add to his skillset and diversify from being just a “small forward” and become more agile across the half forward flank.

Cam Zurhaar
The “bull” has become a cult figure at Arden Street in recent times, but he was sloppy and silent today. Zurhaar’s biggest weakness, his left foot, became apparent today, with some errant kicking costing his side several scoring opportunities. I’m a big fan of Zurhaar’s willingness to crash the contest, but he just seemed “off” today. There wasn’t the usual grunt that has become a mantra of Zurhaar’s football in today’s game, maybe he just had one of those days. I’m sure the bull will be hungry for success next week.

Jared Polec
Well below his best, the North runner could not get into the game in the first quarter, registering just a solitary disposal. He finished the game with 12, but could not get any of his trademark run and carry, collecting just 90 metres for his team for the entire contest.
He is capable of so much more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back