Warne calls for end to one-day cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I like ODI's but it seems they are losing interest. Warneys probably right.

I hate twenty20 cricket so I hope that dies off. Unfortunately I don't think it will.

world cup in one dya cricket is the most prestigous tournament.

no way the icc will lose that!

twenty twenty world cup is a novelty, no one really cares!

Hate Twenty20 but that's where the money is. ODIs are like the goose and the golden eggs - overplayed to the point they're irrelevant.

Seriously, who gives a s**t about 7-game series?

Instantly forgettable - who remembers individual ODIs if they don't include Michael Bevan straight driving the winning runs, Mick Lewis getting creamed or South Africa choking on the big stage?

Tests and Twenty20 is the future. Frees up the calendar and allows more money to flow through the game.

I still think ODI's have a future. Although I must confess I really don't have much of an interest for ODI cricket anymore.

But i maintain that it should be a 40 over game as opposed to a 50 over game. Cut out 10 of the boring middle overs.

I think a lot of it is to do with the mind set of the players. If they realised that they are a lot of the time getting good scores for ODI's in T20 then why not transfer that style of play over to ODI. I think the only way this will happen is if they abolish the 50 over format and slowly increas the amount of overs played.

Oh and even though one dayers are boring as bat s**t on Telly they are still the best form of cricket to actually go and watch live imo.

Nup, dumb cricket for dumb people. i want 20/20 dead in 5 yrs tops

So Warney is dumb is he?

Agree with this but it won't happen soon. Just look at commercial TV & radio. They will peddle this (20/20) to the simpletons for the next 20 years.

See above.

world cup in one dya cricket is the most prestigous tournament.

no way the icc will lose that!

twenty twenty world cup is a novelty, no one really cares!

One-day was novelty when Packer started it.

Hate Twenty20 but that's where the money is. ODIs are like the goose and the golden eggs - overplayed to the point they're irrelevant.

Seriously, who gives a s**t about 7-game series?

Instantly forgettable - who remembers individual ODIs if they don't include Michael Bevan straight driving the winning runs, Mick Lewis getting creamed or South Africa choking on the big stage?

Tests and Twenty20 is the future. Frees up the calendar and allows more money to flow through the game.

If I want to watch a day of purist cricket, give me a test-match.
If I want a quick-fix of crash-and-bash, give me Twenty-20.
One-day will go the way of the dinosaur. Warney predicts so. :D

Cricket Fans = Test >>>>>>>> ODI >> 20/20
General Public = 20/20 >>>>>>> ODI >>>>>>>>>>Test

For every one genuine cricket fan, there are 99 with just a passing interest.

4 hours is a sporting 'event' - 5 days is hardcore.

Cricket is business now (and has been for 20+ years) = it will follow the money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing more needed to be said here.

I predict 10/10 games in about 5 years - probabably played as a One-Day tournament.

This...

And lets be honest, who wouldnt go down to a format such as this... 4 teams, all played in one day...

10/10 schedule...

Australia vs England
South Africa vs India

20 minute break

Australia vs India
South Africa vs England

20 minute break

England vs India
Australia vs South Africa

20 minute break
GRAND FINAL

Games would take about an hour and a half, and because there are four teams involved, there are no need for massive breaks between certain games...

All starts about 10am in the morning and plays through the day... with the final at night...

This is pretty similar to rubgy 7's festivals, but however, I do think that these will be forgettable soon enough as well, but with the majority of cricket fans being pretty simple then they will be pretty popular...

odi will stay for a long time. 20/20 cricket i doubt it will. 20/20 is becoming boring and they have flogged it to death. test's and one day cricket are the back bone of the sport right now. 20/20 has lost it's glamour

didn't they have both sponsorship and tv drop offs in the IPl this year?

also people: 1) warne is saying this on Cricinfo which loves T20 and 2) warne has a ve$ted interest in T20 continuing strongly don't ya think?

It will be interesting how the next IPL goes in order to gauge the long term interest that is around for the tournament.... I love cricket but hell even I was a bit disinterested in it this year.

Cricket Fans = Test >>>>>>>> ODI >> 20/20
General Public = 20/20 >>>>>>> ODI >>>>>>>>>>Test

For every one genuine cricket fan, there are 99 with just a passing interest.

4 hours is a sporting 'event' - 5 days is hardcore.

Cricket is business now (and has been for 20+ years) = it will follow the money.
Not quite true.

Genuine cricket fan = Test >>>>>>>>> any another shorter format

A few points:

1. ODI sucks balls. Past its used by date. 15 overs of charge, 25 overs of watching grass grow, 10 overs of charge. Boring and predictable

2. Whilst genuine fans know cricket is about tests, the masses don't get it. They are used to their sports matches being over in 2-4 hours. T20 is the perfect vehicle to introduce more people into cricket.

3. IPL has revolutionised the game. It's like most other sports where it's a league of teams rather than country versus country. Teams consist of players from many different nationalities. This is a good thing for cricket.

4. Also good for cricket is the earning power of players. Players in the IPL getting silly money will attract talent.

Warney is right. ODI's used by date has passed. Their should be just 2 forms: Tests for the people who understand cricket properly and for the players to show how good they really are, T20 to get people interested (and for sub-continent people who don't really get cricket!
).

odi will stay for a long time. 20/20 cricket i doubt it will. 20/20 is becoming boring and they have flogged it to death. test's and one day cricket are the back bone of the sport right now. 20/20 has lost it's glamour
errr, No.

1. The power in IC has shifted from Australia (and England to a lesser degree) to the subcontinent (mainly India). Those f***ers loved ODI and now they love 20/20 even more. A billion people who love 20/20. It's not going anywhere.

2. ODI has been losing it's glamour over the last decade and it's nearly dead. Don't be surprised if sub-continent teams start refusing to play ODI's. There will be pressure from stakeholders of t20 to wind down ODI and concentrate on T20.

ODI is a dead duck. Good riddance. We only have room for one pijama party and let that be T20.

im over T20, its too much of a crapshoot. You could play 5 T20 world cups in a row and get 5 different winners.

ODI is more of a test of cricket ability. Generally the best side will win in the end.

The problem with ODI's isnt the game but the format. There's just too many meaningless series going on. Who honestly cares who wins the 7 games series between Eng and Aus coming up?

These games need to count for something. If it was up to me i'd make a league where everyone plays a 5 games series against everyone else over 2 years and then have a finals series of best of 5 between the top 4 instead of a world cup.

You could also have the bottom 2 teams relegated and replaced by 2 from the lower leagues. The current ODI world cup is too long and then comes down to a knock out semi and final anyway. You want to see the top teams play a series to see who is really the best.

Also i would have T20 played only in IPL and domestic cricket, except for the world cup. Keep it more of a rarity at international level and give domestic cricket a boost.

Nothing more needed to be said here.

I predict 10/10 games in about 5 years - probabably played as a One-Day tournament.
10/10 will never happen. Very rare that you can bowl a side out in 10 overs.

20/20 evolved because there's 25 overs in the middle of a ODI which waste everyone's time. Tapping the ball around at 3 runs an over whilst the spinners are playing.

The trend you can see of the game shortening and shortening will not continue. The only conceivable thing that may happen is T20 be extended to 25 overs making it a bit harder that going flat out every innings.

errr, No.

1. The power in IC has shifted from Australia (and England to a lesser degree) to the subcontinent (mainly India). Those f***ers loved ODI and now they love 20/20 even more. A billion people who love 20/20. It's not going anywhere.

2. ODI has been losing it's glamour over the last decade and it's nearly dead. Don't be surprised if sub-continent teams start refusing to play ODI's. There will be pressure from stakeholders of t20 to wind down ODI and concentrate on T20.

ODI is a dead duck. Good riddance. We only have room for one pijama party and let that be T20.

err, no

people are starting to get sick of 20/20 cricket. it was great when it was on just as a small package. the ipl was good the first year. but that dropped off this year. the 20/20 wc was not much to look at either. odi will be around for another 10 at least. i dont know if 20/20 will be

Remove this Banner Ad

Back