WBD 2015 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Who impressed you mate ?

I wasn't there long enough to come away with anything concrete in the way of observations, especially with the players split into 3 groups dispersed to all points of the compass, other than to say that I do see a a lot of potential Bailey Dale. I really like the way he is willing to run and carry the ball and looks to kick with some nice accuracy and penetration. He reminds me so much of a young Bob Murphy. I suspect that Bob may also see a bit of himself in him as well as he seemed to take a keen interest in what young bailey was doing and was constantly encouraging him to use his assets to the fullest.

Speaking of Bob, he and Darley quite literally stand out like the proverbial dogs bollocks with their sublime use of the ball by foot. As you noted some of the kicking was a little wayward, but I thought overall of a pretty good standard. There was no issue in that regard for these two.

Once again, although my time there was brief. I was quite impressed with Ayce Cordy's agility and willingness to work particulary in close. If he can improve his marking, we may finally see the fruits of last years hard work and good VFL form finally come to fruition.

Last edited:

Tinder rules my life sometimes.
YouDaManJesus.jpg

I can also confirm that Biggs looks to have a torn hamstring, as he walked a single, very slow, very solitary lap of the oval with a compression bandage covering said hamstring. He then disappeared into the elite training centre for the duration of my stay.

I listened to Bev's post intra-club interview tonight. To my mind he was definitely hosing down expectations and preparing us for some pain this year.

This was the bit right at the end where he said he was hoping for "lots of positives this year" but there will be times when the staunch supporters might need to tap the more easily discouraged supporters on the shoulder and drag them along.

I don't have a problem with this. He can't come right out and say "look we're gonna suck this year ... so hang in there" but at least he's not bullshitting us. Instead he's saying "look for some positives but there's probably going to be some grim times ... so hang in there".

The added benefit is that if the side surprises us (and him) with some real progress up the ladder, then everyone's over the moon and he looks like a genius (a la Terry Wallace in 1997).

I listened to Bev's post intra-club interview tonight. To my mind he was definitely hosing down expectations and preparing us for some pain this year.

This was the bit right at the end where he said he was hoping for "lots of positives this year" but there will be times when the staunch supporters might need to tap the more easily discouraged supporters on the shoulder and drag them along.

I don't have a problem with this. He can't come right out and say "look we're gonna suck this year ... so hang in there" but at least he's not bullshitting us. Instead he's saying "look for some positives but there's probably going to be some grim times ... so hang in there".

The added benefit is that if the side surprises us (and him) with some real progress up the ladder, then everyone's over the moon and he looks like a genius (a la Terry Wallace in 1997).

His delivery has improved ten fold since he came on board. Evident in that interview and also his post match NAB cup presser.

Impressive man.

Pretty much Macca all over again then ;)

I wasn't there long enough to come away with anything concrete in the way of observations, especially with the players split into 3 groups dispersed to all points of the compass, other than to say that I do see a a lot of potential Bailey Dean. I really like the way he is willing to run and carry the ball and looks to kick with some nice accuracy and penetration. He reminds me so much of a young Bob Murphy. I suspect that Bob may also see a bit of himself in him as well as he seemed to take a keen interest in what young bailey was doing and was constantly encouraging him to use his assets to the fullest.

Speaking of Bob, he and Darley quite literally stand out like the proverbial dogs bollocks with their sublime use of the ball by foot. As you noted some of the kicking was a little wayward, but I thought overall of a pretty good standard. There was no issue in that regard for these two.

Once again, although my time there was brief. I was quite impressed with Ayce Cordy's agility and willingness to work particulary in close. If he can improve his marking, we may finally see the fruits of last years hard work and good VFL form finally come to fruition.

I managed to catch the last 40 min or so and reckon you summed up my thoughts exactly.

It was great seeing Clay Smith back amongst the boys, he's such an important part of our make up. Not only for what he can bring game day but for what he adds during training, he has a loud voice, he gets involved, has a laugh and just has a presence... Also good to see Fletch on the track again hopefully he can have a good run at it from here on in...

I'm really looking forward to this year, I don't have high expectations but won't be surprised either way... I'm curious to see who stands up, who takes control when things get tough (and it will happen), how the coach handles things week to week and through out the season...

I think we'll be OK in parts but ultimately our decision making (specially early on) and skill level will be big hurdles to over come.... That said so many players will get the opportunities that they have been waiting for and anything can happen from there.............

I managed to catch the last 40 min or so and reckon you summed up my thoughts exactly.

It was great seeing Clay Smith back amongst the boys, he's such an important part of our make up. Not only for what he can bring game day but for what he adds during training, he has a loud voice, he gets involved, has a laugh and just has a presence... Also good to see Fletch on the track again hopefully he can have a good run at it from here on in...

I'm really looking forward to this year, I don't have high expectations but won't be surprised either way... I'm curious to see who stands up, who takes control when things get tough (and it will happen), how the coach handles things week to week and through out the season...

I think we'll be OK in parts but ultimately our decision making (specially early on) and skill level will be big hurdles to over come.... That said so many players will get the opportunities that they have been waiting for and anything can happen from there.............

Thanks Guys. Think Darley is a lock for Round One?

Does he push JJ and/or Wood out of that rebounding half back flanker position? If that's the case, then both are competing with quite a few others for a wing.

Does he push JJ and/or Wood out of that rebounding half back flanker position? If that's the case, then both are competing with quite a few others for a wing.
Not yet in my view. Wood is in front of him. Competes with JJ and Hamling I think for a spot in the 22 for R1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darley is a lock for mine think it is between he and JJ for the other Half Back spot with Bob

You were impressed with training?

I wasn't there long enough to come away with anything concrete in the way of observations, especially with the players split into 3 groups dispersed to all points of the compass, other than to say that I do see a a lot of potential Bailey Dean. I really like the way he is willing to run and carry the ball and looks to kick with some nice accuracy and penetration. He reminds me so much of a young Bob Murphy. I suspect that Bob may also see a bit of himself in him as well as he seemed to take a keen interest in what young bailey was doing and was constantly encouraging him to use his assets to the fullest.

If you were watching bailey dean I have no idea what you were watching haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back