Roast WC Need to do Something About Their Recruiting.

Remove this Banner Ad

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Imposing is the last word that you'd apply to Partington. He has zero stand out qualities, except seeming like a great hard-working kid.
I rekon there's areas in his game that he can easily improve like his scoreboard presence , defensive pressure and even decision making. His tackle numbers for a coal face mid is very low but those sorts of things can be easily be improved. Even his hands in congestion can improve at this level. One thing that he has going is probably his explosion off the mark and that's handy for his role as he can gain some seperation and get a clear disposal away.

Size/strength is also improve and that should realistically get better every year. Look at Shuey for an example his change in body shape in the last few years has taken his game to another level. I'm not comparing him too boots but being stronger and having a bit more size will make you a bit imposing at many levels.

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Plus Weller can run and carry the ball.

The last person with legs like Parto's I saw making tracks, was the dwarf in the Lord of Rings - The Two Towers.

And even then I thought it was the special effects!
I don't think Parto is slow but he isn't quick over a long distance. He is like a Lachie Neale that he is explosive off the mark and for his position that's pretty good. He needs to improve on other areas of his game.

I rekon there's areas in his game that he can easily improve like his scoreboard presence , defensive pressure and even decision making. His tackle numbers for a coal face mid is very low but those sorts of things can be easily be improved. Even his hands in congestion can improve at this level. One thing that he has going is probably his explosion off the mark and that's handy for his role as he can gain some seperation and get a clear disposal away.

Size/strength is also improve and that should realistically get better every year. Look at Shuey for an example his change in body shape in the last few years has taken his game to another level. I'm not comparing him too boots but being stronger and having a bit more size will make you a bit imposing at many levels.
Would love to be proven wrong on this but compare Shuey's body shape when drafted compared to Partington's.

I don't see Luke getting big/strong enough to compete at AFL level.

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Would love to be proven wrong on this but compare Shuey's body shape when drafted compared to Partington's.

I don't see Luke getting big/strong enough to compete at AFL level.
Parto i think had shuey lower body wise but probably not upper body wise. Parto has a very odd body shape where i think he could very well end up having stumps for legs and a smaller upper body. That said as long as his core is strong, that shouldnt be too much of an issue cause lachie neal also has a similair body shape.

Do people remember eMac and his first 25 games? Yet we persevered and he became an elite defender.

Emacs first 25 games were the stuff Knightmares are made of I remember his poor foot skills cost us two games one against Sydney and one against Port.

Hell I spent years trying to forget those games .
Thank you Asterix for reviving those haunting memories .

Jokes aside I do get your point though.

eMac was indeed woeful and I remember every time he got the ball it was heart in mouth stuff.

You are correct we did persist with him and it paid huge dividends in the long term .

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Parto i think had shuey lower body wise but probably not upper body wise. Parto has a very odd body shape where i think he could very well end up having stumps for legs and a smaller upper body. That said as long as his core is strong, that shouldnt be too much of an issue cause lachie neal also has a similair body shape.
Watters mk2

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
I don't think Parto is slow but he isn't quick over a long distance. He is like a Lachie Neale that he is explosive off the mark and for his position that's pretty good. He needs to improve on other areas of his game.
Can you please elaborate? When did you see him slow and what specifically are the areas that you believe he needs to improve?

I am not looking for greater scoreboard impact as the EP forward line is a shambles and he has not been playing there. Things such as DE, distance of kick, number of broken tackles, inability to lay a tackle or break a tackle, etc. They feel like generalities that can be stated without seeing him play and writing like Hagdorn. Something like Simmo said about Sheed - his defensive pressure needs addressing. I am not saying Parto is perfect hence I am keen to get your insights.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Partington is quick - he ran 2.96 seconds over 20m at the combine in 2015 while no comparison available as Weller did not test in 2014.

Before I believe Weller is faster or better skills at AFL, I would imagine you would need to see them like for like. And the fact that we seem to have an aversion to testing at the top level annoys me.

Is it Watson, is it Mutimer, is it Rioli, is it Venables, is it Partington? I want to see them all being given a chance and preferably all or most of them in 2017.

Question: Were you disappointed that we only got to see Cole and the long awaited Karpany debut in 2016?

2.96, while not slow, is not overly quick either. Partington isn't slow, but young players who are slight and lack the contested games for AFL need to compensate for it by either having the ability to break lines or having very good skills. Partington, while not especially weak in these areas, is also not particularly proficient in them. Hence, someone like Weller can play a role earlier in his career than someone like Partington. Parto just doesn't play like that.

Any of the other players you listed I could see impacting positively at AFL level this year. Rioli and Watson have the skill and speed, Mutimer somewhat so but has a stronger frame and contested game. Venables has the ability to be in the side on merit already but needs to build form and fitness - I would like to think he's a chance in the second half of the year for sure.

As for your question - I wasn't overly disappointed as we were coming back from a Grand Final and well and truly in a premiership tilt. We probably could have seen more of Cole and Karpany than 1-2 games in hindsight but there aren't really many names that come to mind that I think we should have debuted - Partington, Mutimer and Allen were in and out of the Royal's reserves side if I can remember correctly. This year, I think the top four is beyond us and so in my view we should be keeping one eye on the prospect of blooding the younger guys over the course of the year. Ideally all of Watson, Mutimer, Rioli and Venables would debut over time.

Emacs first 25 games were the stuff Knightmares are made of I remember his poor foot skills cost us two games one against Sydney and one against Port.

eMac was indeed woeful and I remember every time he got the ball it was heart in mouth stuff.

You are correct we did persist with him and it paid huge dividends in the long term .
Think there was also one more against St Kilda maybe. Like you said, the stuff of nightmares.

He went to switch back across goal and absolutely stumped his foot and took a chunk out of the turf at Etihad.

Riewoldt couldn't believe his luck, ran onto the shank kick and into an open goal. Killed the game.

garlic munchers

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Downbeat Optimist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardinals

Here's hoping.

Probably unfair on some of the interstate recruits, but it just seems we have for some time now overlooked some local talent (Sheed aside) for interstaters.

We get it right with talls, but why can't we have both?

Karpany, Parto strike me as a continuation of recruiting at best, average AFL talents when a bit of X factor should be the go (particularly when we trade 1st rounders for players like Redden).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Karpany, Parto strike me as a continuation of recruiting at best, average AFL talents when a bit of X factor should be the go
Like Tom Lamb?

(particularly when we trade 1st rounders for players like Redden).
On average, a pick 21 is likely to play around 30 AFL games. Dealing ours for an established player,
a) particularly when the club feels another GF is possible in the short term, and
b) to bolster what many consider a week point for the club
seems like better odds. Admittedly his numbers have been lower than at Brisbane which is not ideal, however it is likely due to him playing a different role because of Priddis' lack of flexibility from that same role.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers

That's something I didn't need reminding of. Genuinely scary stuff. I was calling for him to be delisted immediately early on.

garlic munchers

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Downbeat Optimist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardinals
On average, a pick 21 is likely to play around 30 AFL games. Dealing ours for an established player,
a) particularly when the club feels another GF is possible in the short term, and
b) to bolster what many consider a week point for the club
seems like better odds. Admittedly his numbers have been lower than at Brisbane which is not ideal, however it is likely due to him playing a different role because of Priddis' lack of flexibility from that same role.

So what you are actually saying is that Redden was never going to be a good choice given he doesn't bring anything to the table we didn't have or at best simply reinforces an existing strength so much so that he is now having to adopt to a different role?

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
So what you are actually saying is that Redden was never going to be a good choice given he doesn't bring anything to the table we didn't have or at best simply reinforces an existing strength so much so that he is now having to adopt to a different role?
I thought he was saying its priddis' fault redden is poo

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Not entirely. He's a good choice in that we were always more likely to get more AFL games out of him than a draftee. He's less than ideal given what you mention, in that we have a lot of 'inside' mids who don't do run and carry well, and the coaching staff ahve elected to give the plum position and minutes to Priddis.

The recruiters simply made the decision that a ready made AFL midfielder would be better than chancing a draftee late in the first round, given that some of the first round talent we'd not have any access to anyway.

The downside seems to be that Hutchings, Redden, Sheed, Duggan, and Priddis are all variations in age and skill of the same sort of player. You could probably add Masten to that, although he's had to modify his game over the past few seasons because he doesn't get a look at the 'inside' mid role.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Imposing is the last word that you'd apply to Partington. He has zero stand out qualities, except seeming like a great hard-working kid.

Could have told you this back in 2015. Didn't stop him from getting drafted, just stopped him going high. |

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't see him being star or even s solid player don't have high expectations tbh.

Another pick wasted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back