Roast WC Need to do Something About Their Recruiting.

Remove this Banner Ad

If we wait until East Perth are winning before we say players have deserved it, we are going to be bitterly disappointed in 2017. Likewise if we wait until the team can play the structures properly, then we will also be disappointed.

Please do not think I am about just picking the kids. What I would like to see is a small risk taken with one player at a time. We are already taking risks whenever we pick Jetta as we are never sure what effort we get from him. Let's also look at horses for courses.

I compared Lachie Weller to Luke Partington - 1 year apart as their draft years are 1 year apart. Conveniently, up until today they had both played 20 WAFL matches and I admit up front that Freo were desperate but at round 3 it was pressure on not the basket case that 2016 ended up for them. Stats wise, Parto is ahead of Weller on a total of 20 WAFL games, his most recent 10 WAFL games and his most recent 5 WAFL games. He is a player that I would like to see at the next level. Note to self (Simmo) - roll the dice at the derby in 2 weeks and get a view of Parto and is he part of our future.

View attachment 358979
But haven't the guys watching east perth been saying that Parto has been lacking impact?

To me Weller doesn't need heap of the pill to hurt you but Parto kinda needs to.

I've been to EP matches and there is no forward line to kick to at EP. Even Shuey would be frustrated and his impact would be down. My point is that there are players who transition to the higher level and flourish. I would like to see Parto and Mutes given a go. Knowing the can go the next level is valuable info

I've been to EP matches and there is no forward line to kick to at EP. Even Shuey would be frustrated and his impact would be down. My point is that there are players who transition to the higher level and flourish. I would like to see Parto and Mutes given a go. Knowing the can go the next level is valuable info

The fact Mutimer has been EMG twice means he isn't to far off.

Simmo said Mutimer is close to a debut. Partington will have to wait a while I'd say until some room in the middle presents itself. I cant see him being that effective on a flank.

Fair enough.

Wasn't Parto a round one Smokey? His hype died down real quick and mutimer went from ab average preseason to a close debut.

I think one of the points Asterix is making is that we won't truly know how the young guys will perform at AFL level unless we give them an opportunity. To an extent I agree with him because EP is so disfunctional at the moment it's hard to look good and that with better players around them they may also be able to lift their own level

It's a fair point. Right now I'd be more I inclined to give mutimer a run than partington because while he's not been as consistent he has more impact and has a build better suited to AFL than Parto

Sheed is still more deserving of a spot ahead of those two though

If one of our running backs gets a niggle then Watson should be brought in

No, this is simply looking at our selections and development. Interestingly, whilst we have pursued a trade strategy it is arguable that none of those players have achieved a pass mark over their time in the side.

Only Wellingham has had a whole season of good output. Yeo looks to be replacing Wellingham as a B minus good to above average player.

Also worth noting, is that WC have not aggressively tried to improve their draft position in any of these drafts, despite trading picks for players. It seems we would rather hold onto struggling players who have currency, than risk a trade.

You can talk about how mature age recruits negatively effect our age profile and a create a talent bottleneck. But if we've traded away our better picks it's going to have a serious effect on the number of younger players in our team.

Just a thought;does anybody think the drug era has affected our recruiting? We used to pick talent,talent talent.Now the emphasis seems to be on good corporate citizens who happen to be reasonable footballers.The "super talented" often come with question marks over behaviour,attitude etc but looking at our recents they all seem "NICE" boys.

There is that thing Nic Nat and other eagles are doing up north with kids (forgive my ignorance not sure exactly) but heard west coast people say it's not about finding talented kids it's about creating better people (or something to that effect) almost like we are more hardcore then them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would using our rookie list to strengthen EP and protect our draftees be a bad idea ..

ie ;say we chose a few gun mids from wafl /vfl/sa or boosted a few forwards that were great at that level..
Someone like Drew Petrie for example

If we wait until East Perth are winning before we say players have deserved it, we are going to be bitterly disappointed in 2017. Likewise if we wait until the team can play the structures properly, then we will also be disappointed.

Stats don't tell the full story with Parto. His impact and quality of possessions are much lower than that of Weller. He will probably carve out a role at AFL level in the future but without the speed and skills of Weller he will struggle to take that step up as early as Weller did. He needs to improve his strength and disposal by hand before he could play any sort of role for us in my view. Guys like Mutimer and Cole I think would both be in a better position to add something to the side this year due to their respective attributes.

EDIT: It looks like everyone has said something along these lines to you already, haha. But yeah Parto I think is a ways off.

Last edited:
Stats don't tell the full story with Parto. His impact and quality of possessions are much lower than that of Weller. He will probably carve out a role at AFL level in the future but without the speed and skills of Weller he will struggle to take that step up as early as Weller did. He needs to improve his strength and disposal by hand before he could play any sort of role for us in my view. Guys like Mutimer and Cole I think would both be in a better position to add something to the side this year due to their respective attributes.

EDIT: It looks like everyone has said something along these lines to you already, haha. But yeah Parto I think is a ways off.

Parto could still carve out a pretty good career (mind you his end to last season was poles apart to his finish) but that's the risk with getting small inside mids. They need to have a couple of elite attributes to make it. I know it's hindsight but guys like Mathieson, Clarke or even balic would have got games for us by now. I was a big fan of balic and also though Mathieson was the best available talent at our pick.

The fact that Parto being able to rack the footy now it self could be a big thing it self, maybe with experience and more development he could become a more imposing mid.

Parto could still carve out a pretty good career (mind you his end to last season was poles apart to his finish) but that's the risk with getting small inside mids. They need to have a couple of elite attributes to make it. I know it's hindsight but guys like Mathieson, Clarke or even balic would have got games for us by now. I was a big fan of balic and also though Mathieson was the best available talent at our pick.

The fact that Parto being able to rack the footy now it self could be a big thing it self, maybe with experience and more development he could become a more imposing mid.

I'm sure Parto could tackle ,mark and even handball to advantage at AFL level no big deal ,its just being given a opportunity ..

Imposing is the last word that you'd apply to Partington. He has zero stand out qualities, except seeming like a great hard-working kid.

But haven't the guys watching east perth been saying that Parto has been lacking impact?

To me Weller doesn't need heap of the pill to hurt you but Parto kinda needs to.

Plus Weller can run and carry the ball.

The last person with legs like Parto's I saw making tracks, was the dwarf in the Lord of Rings - The Two Towers.

And even then I thought it was the special effects!

eMac should have been told in no uncertain terms he is a 4th choice at best - and strongly urged to move to Brisbane.

You can't tell me they wouldn't have snapped him up over that Frost hack from Collingwood.
They won't take him now theyve got kpps coming out of their arses with more on the way

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Are you related to Ross Lyon by chance?
Definitely not. Can't stand the man!! Don't know what that's got to do with the price of eggs anyway. That's just the way I see it until some of the WAFL players start playing at a higher and more consistent level. It's no good having a good game one week, then to go MIA the next. That's how Barrass got picked eventually by playing well in the WAFL week in week out.

Partington is quick - he ran 2.96 seconds over 20m at the combine in 2015 while no comparison available as Weller did not test in 2014.

Before I believe Weller is faster or better skills at AFL, I would imagine you would need to see them like for like. And the fact that we seem to have an aversion to testing at the top level annoys me.

Is it Watson, is it Mutimer, is it Rioli, is it Venables, is it Partington? I want to see them all being given a chance and preferably all or most of them in 2017.

Question: Were you disappointed that we only got to see Cole and the long awaited Karpany debut in 2016?

I'm sure Parto could tackle ,mark and even handball to advantage at AFL level no big deal ,its just being given a opportunity ..
It's the fact that Parto is limited to a pure inside role that hurts him. He isn't a sheed type that can have an impact on a wing or flank and the fact that our young kids barely get on ball minutes would hurt him.

Question: Were you disappointed that we only got to see Cole and the long awaited Karpany debut in 2016?

Not really because I was at that game and he was pretty much the sole reason we lost. Not looking to rag on a young player but he probably leaked around 4 goals from poor defensive positioning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back