The "We must get Tom Lynch at all costs...or maybe not" Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really hoping we chase Lynch hard.
Him at FF and Moore at CHB will set us up for the next 8 years.
I would not trade our first round draft picks for the next 2 years though if they are top 10 picks.
Surely we would be able to get him as a free agent anyway.

Lynch probably doesn’t have 8 years in him. 5-6 more likely. Trading more than 1 first round pick would be too much.

Yeah you're right it's so much better watching Cox basketball tap the ball in the air rather than mark it! :drunk:

Pointed out months ago that when he learns to direct the ball wed be a lot better

He doesn't need to mark it against 2 or 3 blokes , simply directing the ball to our advantage is super particularly when he's taken opposition out of the contest

He's only gonna get better
He's a huge weapon

Oh and currently he's earned 7 free kicks and recieved?

Pointed out months ago that when he learns to direct the ball wed be a lot better

He doesn't need to mark it against 2 or 3 blokes , simply directing the ball to our advantage is super particularly when he's taken opposition out of the contest

He's only gonna get better
He's a huge weapon

Oh and currently he's earned 7 free kicks and recieved?
You saw the game plan

You rekin masons not a key part of it

Lol

Darkyp what you expect or demand from a professional AFL footballer differs from mine.

I want my 7 foot forward to mark the ball most times........if I wanted to watch Mason play volleyball then I would take up watching beach volleyball.

The free kick count is also irrelevant to me......and I never said he isn't a key part to Bucks plans.

We got rid of Cloke for this bloke so I know the esteem he is held within the Club.........doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Darkyp what you expect or demand from a professional AFL footballer differs from mine.

I want my 7 foot forward to mark the ball most times........if I wanted to watch Mason play volleyball then I would take up watching beach volleyball.

The free kick count is also irrelevant to me......and I never said he isn't a key part to Bucks plans.

We got rid of Cloke for this bloke so I know the esteem he is held within the Club.........doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Sorry, but I'll take 2018 Cox vs 2017 Cloke truth be told.

Given the treatment Cox gets from opposition defenders, it's kinda hard to take a mark when you have 2 players on you, holding you and chopping your arms at nearly every contest. If the umpires paid him the free kicks he deserves, he'd get more clear shots at actually taking marks.

Sorry, but I'll take 2018 Cox vs 2017 Cloke truth be told.

Given the treatment Cox gets from opposition defenders, it's kinda hard to take a mark when you have 2 players on you, holding you and chopping your arms at nearly every contest. If the umpires paid him the free kicks he deserves, he'd get more clear shots at actually taking marks.

Come on Shpesh the bolded part is not a fair comparison and I didn't throw in Cloke's name for that reason.

If you guys are happy with 5 disposals 1 mark from Cox then good luck to you..............me I demand more from our players.

Cloke was shot

Too many batterings for zip , refused to re sculpt his body

Never once showed the intelligence and or desire to ale some one better

I don't care who kicks em

I do care about winning

Come on Shpesh the bolded part is not a fair comparison and I didn't throw in Cloke's name for that reason.

If you guys are happy with 5 disposals 1 mark from Cox then good luck to you..............me I demand more from our players.

You said: "We got rid of Cloke for this bloke"

So yeah, 2018 Cox is better than 2017 Cloke. The right call was made. I think you forget the conditions on Friday night. But what I like about Cox was that he learned from that Hawthorn game. If you're not having a good game "statistically" you can still contribute in big ways.

Cox played a role in quite a few goals that we kicked on Friday, many of which he did so without registering a touch. Stephenson's first being the one that immediately comes to mind.

Let's go through the scenario.

Watch the replay. Cox is CLEARLY held in that contest. He should have been paid the free kick and had they done so, he registers a kick and most likely a goal on the stat sheet. But instead of playing to a hopeful whistle, he's probably been instructed to play under the assumption that he won't get any frees (because he probably won't as has been demonstrated this season thus far) so what does he do? Since a mark isn't an option in that contest, he gracefully guides the ball down one handed for Stephenson to pick off and kick the goal.

Either way a goal has resulted from Mason. One with a stat, one without. But the end result is a goal. So why does it matter?

Cloke was shot

I do care about winning
You said: "We got rid of Cloke for this bloke"

So yeah, 2018 Cox is better than 2017 Cloke. The right call was made. I think you forget the conditions on Friday night. But what I like about Cox was that he learned from that Hawthorn game. If you're not having a good game "statistically" you can still contribute in big ways.

Let me just make it clear to both of you.........Darkyp said "You rekin masons not a key part of it...Lol"

My Cloke reference was to say I know he is a key part of our team and that is the reason we got rid of Cloke.......nothing to do with Cloke's standing as at 2017 at all.

Would you like me to compare playing stats for Cloke's year 3 as opposed to Cox's??
Cox has got a long way to go to be in the same sentence as Cloke by the way.

A forward needs to mark the ball.........simple.
Back on topic something Lynch knows how to do.

Then Moore has his 5 minutes on the bench meaning 10 minutes a quarter you're without your CHB.

Is it better or worse to have your CHB or your CHF missing for 10 minutes a quarter? I would have thought it would depend on which one you can structurally cover better. With Shaz and Howe likely to still be in the team, if Moore comes back as a CHB, perhaps we can structurally cover the CHB better?

Let me just make it clear to both of you.........Darkyp said "You rekin masons not a key part of it...Lol"

My Cloke reference was to say I know he is a key part of our team and that is the reason we got rid of Cloke.......nothing to do with Cloke's standing as at 2017 at all.

Would you like me to compare playing stats for Cloke's year 3 as opposed to Cox's??
Cox has got a long way to go to be in the same sentence as Cloke by the way.

A forward needs to mark the ball.........simple.
Back on topic something Lynch knows how to do.

That's a small part of it
Knock ons creating space screens of the ball and competing
Also the new buzz pressure crap
He's doing all but marking the ball
That will come
Doing more controlled competing , creates space for others than cloke ever did
Ignore the long lead hit up like tarrant not dangerous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a small part of it
Knock ons creating space screens of the ball and competing
Also the new buzz pressure crap
He's doing all but marking the ball
That will come
Doing more controlled competing , creates space for others than cloke ever did
Ignore the long lead hit up like tarrant not dangerous

You missed my point AGAIN......Creating space screens?? WTF Darkyp?...........lets agree to disagree.
Cloke deserves a little more respect IMO.......review what he did in his third year at the Club (2007) just like Cox's this year.

I think his marking strength is running and jumping at the footy. He's poor in those wrestling type marking situations that were Cloke's bread and butter. I think, as evidenced the last 2 games, that they've clearly decided to maximize the potential out of those wrestling marks situations by having him tap the ball to advantage rather than just concede the mark. He's only going 1 handed so it's the only conclusion you can draw. It's working thus far, I'm happy to see how it evolves. He'll still have those marks (like the 1 that wasn't paid Friday) but he won't get out marked as often. The key will always be getting players to his feet. Varcoe v Carlton, Stephenson v Crows.

I think his marking strength is running and jumping at the footy. He's poor in those wrestling type marking situations that were Cloke's bread and butter. I think, as evidenced the last 2 games, that they've clearly decided to maximize the potential out of those wrestling marks situations by having him tap the ball to advantage rather than just concede the mark. He's only going 1 handed so it's the only conclusion you can draw. It's working thus far, I'm happy to see how it evolves. He'll still have those marks (like the 1 that wasn't paid Friday) but he won't get out marked as often. The key will always be getting players to his feet. Varcoe v Carlton, Stephenson v Crows.

The one handed thing is not deliberate I am afraid...........I always tell my kids "two hands for beginners".

Maybe someone at the Club should tell him the same thing.

The one handed thing is not deliberate I am afraid...........I always tell my kids "two hands for beginners".

Maybe someone at the Club should tell him the same thing.

I think it is, hard not to know where your arm is and in Cox's situation it's generally engaging an opponent.

I think it is, hard not to know where your arm is and in Cox's situation it's generally engaging an opponent.

I have seen enough of him at VFL to pass judgment on the one hand thing.

P.S Plenty of Cox defenders here.......I like him and his potential but my expectations of him are far greater this year.
5 possession games don't cut it with me.

Cfc2010 if your not excited at the moment don't know what's gonna get you there

Fair dinkum blokes played about 2% of football in his life compared to cloke
Cloke is unsuited to today's football , he can't turn , we all saw that and has huge mental issues

Yod prefer Schache like some potted?

I have seen enough of him at VFL to pass judgment on the one hand thing.

P.S Plenty of Cox defenders here.......I like him and his potential but my expectations of him are far greater this year.
5 possession games don't cut it with me.
As there should be

Well you Must've missed the day he had 24 marks, 6 goals and 40 hit outs

I saw enough that day

Against the Premiers too

Oh and I like lynch too but he ain't worth the farm and he ain't buddy nor jezza Cameron

Would you trade Thomas and de goey and a first for him in the so called DRAFT of THE CENTURY sic

Big price to pay compared to a B grade rookie I think
You say you like him, has potential
But has failed your expectations
So maybe your expectations are a bit surreal and unrealistic

Rekin You're winning zip with predictable footy ask Richmond and their use of chaos balls which destroyed the zone and exposed poor defensive 1 on 1 play

Last edited:
Cfc2010 if your not excited at the moment don't know what's gonna get you there

Fair dinkum blokes played about 2% of football in his life compared to cloke
Cloke is unsuited to today's football , he can't turn , we all saw that and has huge mental issues

Yod prefer Schache like some potted?

banging-head-on-wall-gif-1.gif

Excited so far = NO

Unlike the doomsdayers on here or the ultra positive I sit somewhere in the middle.
Its a long season and I have been around long enough to know how it works.

By the end 2007 (3 seasons) Cloke played in 55 games and won a Copeland.
Cox is currently on 23 games after two seasons.......its time he showed more than 5 possessions.

Back to this modern football thing and the topic......would I take a 21 year old Cloke or Lynch over a Mason Cox??

You know my answer to that question Darkyp.

Tweet on the main Rumour Board from Shouter that Lynch told GC he is leaving at the end of the year. They intend to match. He is meeting with a Victorian club this weekend who is rumoured to be his preferred destination.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back