Weird Hills to die on (main board edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

At some time in our lives (especially whilst young) we all have weird hills we're willing to die on....even if in retrospect we just clutch our foreheads in our hands and cringe with the energy of a thousand suns at.

I suspect many of us who have been influenced by the popular opinion of day to day life, BigFooty or our private group of mates, have developed opinions that have evolved far beyond being merely "unpopular" but into the realms of severe defence because for some, god awful psychologically conflated reason, we have tied this very opinion into of our view of ourselves.

For me I have 2 and they're both inspired by what I've seen is the majority consensus on here but by god I will fight tooth and nail anyone who's willing to question them:

1): Gold Coast's song isn't that bad. Seriously it is coherent, runs quite well and has a hook. It's not making anyone's top 10 but there are a LOT worse (look at Freo's for example. Or the abomination that Birds Of Tokyo has turned West Coast's into. Or GWS...though that is very popular and I feel another entry into this thread may be in the foreseeable future...)

2): Fitzroy, unlucky club with a great history that deserve a LOT better, had an awful guernsey. Seriously, is this only held up in such high esteem because it was the only "mildly" funky coloured set that existed in a rather plain and straightforward league? I'm more than willing to admit my personal taste is atrocious (I've been know to listen to B*Witched for crying out loud) but surely others can both see this and, like me, admit that it really doesn't denigrate Fitzroy as a whole if not is inclusive because I can't consider any guernsey list without them in it (even if my view of it is harsh)?

But yes, this is the thread for those who want to be more than "Unpopular", for those who are willing to die on that hill and commit their own public image and stake their own reputation on it no matter how unpopular, or in my case seemingly demonstrably wrong, their case is? We want to know that case, why you think that and how you defend those (mostly easily) refuted claims?

You'll never convince me that Nathan Buckley was a better player than Andrew McLeod.

And I'm not knocking Buckley, he was very ******* good.

McLeod but...PHWOAR!!!

This thread is 'Unpopular AFL opinions' but from Wish.
See, I created this to try and alleviate the stalemate caused by the back and forth of an intrasigent fan and a well respected, if validation seeking former journalist. If you're willing to follow that opinion into the rabbit hole: that in itself is far, far more interesting than the opinion itself Imo

Hills I have already fought tooth and nail on, on Big Footy. You can decide how weird they are.

1. Geelong has been clearly the Greatest Dynasty of the 21st century.

2. Essendon were barely deserving of a finals berth in 2021. St Kilda missed finals but we were better than Essendon. At least as good as them.

Other hills I would fight on:

3. Travel is overrated in being a determinative factor in winning sports games. What matters to home advantage is home crowd. Not whether you had to jump in an aeroplane a couple of days before playing.

4. The AFL should consider ways of equalising year-on-year fixture inequality. Instead of just creating fixture based on which 3rd of the ladder you finished in, consider the difficulty level of the fixture the team had in the previous year. Perhaps even announce opposition teams for the last 3rd of the H&A season during the year, on this basis. Try something. The AFL system is all about equality- but not enough equality in the crucial area of which opponents you actually play.

5. If the AFL wants to become a truly national sport it should break the 40 year contract and move the Grand Final away from the MCG. There's multiple options for how. Superbowl style rolling schedule? Or just home team's ground? Biggest capacity ground in home state of home team? If the GF continues to be held at the MCG, every team should play at least 3 games per year there.

That'll do for now.

Last edited:
Hills I have already fought tooth and nail on, on Big Footy. You can decide how weird they are.

1. Geelong has been clearly the Greatest Dynasty of the 20th century.

2. Essendon were barely deserving of a finals berth in 2021. St Kilda missed finals but we were better than Essendon. At least as good as them.

3. Travel is overrated in being a determinative factor in winning sports games. What matters to home advantage is home crowd. Not whether you had to jump in an aeroplane a couple of days before playing.

4. The AFL should consider ways of equalising year-on-year fixture inequality. Instead of just creating fixture based on which 3rd of the ladder you finished in, consider the difficulty level of the fixture the team had in the previous year. Perhaps even announce opposition teams for the last 3rd of the H&A season during the year, on this basis. Try something. The AFL system is all about equality- but not enough equality in the crucial area of which opponents you actually play.

5. If the AFL wants to become a truly national sport it should break the 40 year contract and move the Grand Final away from the MCG. There's multiple options for how. Superbowl style rolling schedule? Or just home team's ground? Biggest capacity ground in home state of home team? If the GF continues to be held at the MCG, every team should play at least 3 games per year there.

That'll do for now.

Exactly what we're looking for. For me:

1) I personally disagree but admit there's overwhelming evidence there. Great hill to die on...

2) Like many teams in history, St. Kilda were the deserving team too late in the season to earn it (see Geelong 1993 for the prime example).

3) For me this is both agree and for the same reason disagree. Distance TO a game isn't the problem, distance on the way back FROM a game is "problematic" for sports scientists to teams travelling home 2 hours+. But I also feel the last 2 flags qualify as some of the most impressive in history...worth discussion

4) i agree in principle but imagine the hoops the AFL would have to go through to satifsy everyone there? Some teams, probably mostly the same ones, would get shafted.

5) ....Well, yeah. It's pretty obvious. Incredibly difficult to work around due to how many people abjectly ignore objectivity on that subject

Good call

See, I created this to try and alleviate the stalemate caused by the back and forth of an intrasigent fan and a well respected, if validation seeking former journalist. If you're willing to follow that opinion into the rabbit hole: that in itself is far, far more interesting than the opinion itself Imo
Well, I've had a few beers and you've used some big words (which I understand but find difficult to process right now) so no issues with your justification on my part.

A hill to die on? I feel dirty even suggesting this but why do the Western Bulldogs get so much hate regarding the umpires when Collingwood has a better run, yet nobody even talks about it?

Like this thread.

My takes -

The umpiring in AFL is pretty good, no worse than any other major professional sport around the world, and there is no mandated 'corruption'. It is no better or worse than it was 20 or 30 years ago. People pay far too much attention to uneducated opinions they read on internet web-sites and hear from ex-players trying to earn a media contract be being 'controversial'. Yes, there are 'rules of the week' and inconsistencies always have been, always will be.

Interchange is the worst thing to happen to the on-field product in the last 50 years, and should be removed (back to 2 subs).

1. Goal posts should be re-painted multi-coloured to be more inclusive. There is so much wrong with white, towering posts and all it symbolises.
2. It's time to re-think the pigskin. More research needs to be done on a vegan option. Has the AFL dropped the ball? Why isn't this receiving the attention it deserves??

That'll do for now.

"1. Geelong has been clearly the Greatest Dynasty of the 20th century."

Six flags in 100 years. That is a hill you'll be left alone to die on 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2): Fitzroy, unlucky club with a great history that deserve a LOT better, had an awful guernsey.

All a matter of taste isn't it. Subjective and personal.

Personally Fitzroy's guernsey is perfection. Undoubtedly the best football jumper ever worn on a football field.

images-1.png

Absolute magnificence.

Last edited:

On BF ? Well respected former journo ? Any specific opinion in THE rabbit hole ?

That'll do for now.
I don't think you know what the 20th century is...

Like this thread.

My takes -

The umpiring in AFL is pretty good, no worse than any other major professional sport around the world, and there is no mandated 'corruption'. It is no better or worse than it was 20 or 30 years ago. People pay far too much attention to uneducated opinions they read on internet web-sites and hear from ex-players trying to earn a media contract be being 'controversial'. Yes, there are 'rules of the week' and inconsistencies always have been, always will be.

Interchange is the worst thing to happen to the on-field product in the last 50 years, and should be removed (back to 2 subs).

Go back and watch games from the 70s and 80s and there were some outright bewildering decisions made. When Kelvin Templeton kicked 15 against the Saints, he held on to his last mark for less than a second but it was paid.

That being said I reckon What's Your Decision on World of Sport was great. It allowed umpires to explain the reasoning behind their decisions and admit if they got something wrong. It's a tough gig umpiring - you've got to expect some mistakes to be made.

On BF ? Well respected former journo ? Any specific opinion in THE rabbit hole ?
I'll put my hand up: Was quite drunk last night at the footy when I thought this thread was a good idea. I mean, I still think it is but my justification was..."lubricated" to say the least.

Laymans terms: Two posters going back and forth on unpopular opinions thread got me thinking that some opinions are just too ingrained no matter how much they're challenged, hence the idea for the thread. The respected poster who I think has done a bit of journo work in the past being the Geelong fan in that thread (or at least he has mentioned so in the past on the cricket board, not sure of his work but is quite a respected poster on here)

I really need to stay off BigFooty after a big night :huh:

1. Jack Silvagni is a star
2. Dane Swan was never really that good and Chris Judd deserved the brownlow he won over him
3. Clarkson is super weird for triple teaming Fevola, preventing him kicking his 100th and robbing us of likely the only time we would’ve ever seen two players notch the century in the one game
4. The Scott brothers are little piglets and would get belted by even the smallest modern players and it’s cringe that they still act tough in their 40’s
5. Richmonds dynasty is forever tainted for being torn apart by Cox’s dominant PF performance that stopped them from achieving a 4peat and thus nullifies all flags they won during that time*

*just kidding!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back