Weird Hills to die on (main board edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

‘s**t’?
Let's say 's**t' compared to the best marks of the 15-20 years before that. Those 2 get talked about way too much (in the context of Walker being robbed). They're both missing something, like they're half great.

They were both good - Walker's benefited by much better camera angles - you don't realise how good Krakoeur's mark is until you watch the replay. Very poor camerawork.
I agree that the replay angle on the Krakouer mark makes it better, I actually like it better than Walker’s chest mark. Both still meh

the heck?

It was a five goal and 17 touch game.

In the history of the league there must be a trillion and one superior midfield performances.

Peter Matera won the Norm Smith medal in 1992 for 18 touches and 5 goals.

Weird hill to die on: people are conditioned to high possession numbers and dream team scores that they have lost the ability to recognise real influence.

Wayne Schimmelbusch's 6 goals from a wing in the 1976 1st semi final v Geelong was a far more exhilirating performance than that of Matera's 1992 Norm Smith medal winning effort of 5 from the same position & Barhams' 5 vs Hawthorn of rd.9 1977

Barham’s 5 from a wing was the most exhilarating thing I’d ever seen. He was only 18 and playing in his 3rd game for the reigning wooden spooner.
He plays against the reigning premier on their home ground, we win and he destroys them.
No one even knew who he was.

Barham’s 5 from a wing was the most exhilarating thing I’d ever seen. He was only 18 and playing in his 3rd game for the reigning wooden spooner.
He plays against the reigning premier on their home ground, we win and he destroys them.
No one even knew who he was
iirc became an immediate favourite on the monday in the schoolyard kick to kick battles

Wayne Schimmelbusch's 6 goals from a wing in the 1976 1st semi final v Geelong was a far more exhilirating performance than that of Matera's 1992 Norm Smith medal winning effort of 5 from the same position & Barhams' 5 vs Hawthorn of rd.9 1977
I still can't believe they snubbed Schimma for that '92 Norm Smith. He didn't even get a single vote iirc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Matera won the Norm Smith medal in 1992 for 18 touches and 5 goals.

Weird hill to die on: people are conditioned to high possession numbers and dream team scores that they have lost the ability to recognise real influence.
In a world where Lethal apparently had a 40+ touch & 11 goal game, Diesel IIRC had 50 & 6 and 31 & 5 in the 1995 GF, Bairstow 30+ and 6 IIRC … I believe that 5 and 17 wasn’t overly impressive. Certainly not anything close to what the poster I was responding to claimed - about it representing some sort of legendary midfield performance.

The argument could be made for a second year player going against the dynasty Lions it was epic. Was it? Steve Johnson is a player also of the Class of 2001 and also went to the Gabba that year and kicked 6 and had 15 touches.

Fun fact - Steve Johnson in just his 26th game that night in 2003 at the Gabba had his third game of 4+ goals. Judd only had three in his entire career. Judd amazingly never had a 40 touch game. He had 35+ touches 9 times; SJ even managed to have 8 games of 35+ FWIW.

The Gabba is the worst (current) ground to get to and from IMO. I've been to MCG, Adelaide Oval, Metricon and the Gabba, so might be best for someone whose been to more grounds to give some more insight, but for me Gabba is the worst ground to get to for punters. Metricon has issues too but at least is in a less built up part of Gold Coast so has some leeway there. This is not a knock on the stadium as a whole just the transport to and from it.

Chad Wingard’s AA years were better than anything that Cyril Rioli ever produced

Put Nauhton and Bont in that dogs side, its a flag winning side.

Put Ryder and Marshall in St Kilda 09/10 its a flag winning side.
Funny (and depressing) thing is we overlooked Jack Riewoldt and Harry Taylor and more in the draft around that time. Two players that would’ve solved our biggest issues.

Hated how we never really drafted key position players, been like that since Terry Wallace was coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back