Weird Hills to die on (main board edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

He does external to BF but on here, I don't think he gets enough credit.
I’ve seen Hawks supporters shitting on Clarko since Mitchell seems to be doing a decent job. Thing is, Clarko overachieved in 2008 with a similar list profile to what Sam Mitchell is dealing with today.

I don’t get it, Clarkson is a coaching genius who won premierships with lists far less gifted than your traditional Premiership winning teams. Damien Hardwick obviously did the same, but it remains to be seen as to whether or not Dimma can get them back there like Clarko did. Pretty big gap between first and second flags for clarkson.

Some more:

- Marvel Stadium is an excellent venue

- Waverley Park was a shocking venue. When it was a venue, supporters of all clubs did nothing but complain about it, and rightly so - s**t seats, freezing cold, pain in the ass to get to and from, awful car park, no atmosphere. As soon as it was gotten rid of, people inexplicably started pining for it and getting nostalgic about it. Weird.

- David King is one of the better special comments people on Fox Footy

- Bruce McAvaney, even though well past his best, was still miles better than the rest of the TV commentators in his last few seasons

- BT is actually a decent commentator when he actually calls the game and doesn’t shout and waffle on (he does shout, and waffle on, a lot - hence he is not a good commentator)

- Hamish McLachlan has improved out of sight as a commentator. Was once woeful, is now decent.

- I was the only one to tip with confidence that Hawthorn would beat Geelong in the 2008 Grand Final. No other footy media identities, no other footy supporters called it. Just me 😎
Good to see Marvel stadium getting some love :thumbsu:

Marvel stadium has a better atmosphere than the MCG.

There’s no corruption regarding umpires and the bulldogs. (Please don’t quote me on this one, I’ve brawled enough posters).

Talking about how strong the teams of that 07-11 period are, I reckon if you dropped that Cats team into literally any other 5 year period, they probably win all 5 cups. That Geelong team is very well respected now (maybe not by Hawks and Tigers supporters, fair enough) but if from any other 5 year period, it would be unanimous. Hall of Famer's on every line, and playing attacking footy with defenders launching attacks through the corridor.

“Probably”? Absolutely no chance. It simply wouldn’t happen. They might be the best team over the 5 years, sure, but footy - with its finals system and the nature of the game - just doesn’t work like that. You need great management, endless and constant desire and motivation (which dips by human nature), you need to hit form at the right time and you need real luck. You can’t even have one off night like Richmond did against Collingwood in the 2018 prelim.

That sort of fortune five years in a row just doesn’t happen, hence why 5 flags doesn’t happen.

Look at Geelong’s 2010 final series, right in the middle of that run. It was weak as piss. Lost to St Kilda, beat a 6th place Freo at the G and then got blown off the park by Collingwood. Have as many hall of gamers as they did… They were tired, sore, slow and a long way off it.

They got a wake up call, then the next year were clearly very well managed and refreshed under a new coach which came just at the right time. But it just shows, you need so so much to go right beyond just talented players. Best team over five years for sure, but five straight cups just doesn’t happen, it would be an absolute freak occurance.

David Mackay is the worst 200 game player of all time

I assert that Razor Ray Chamberlain is one of the best / fairest and most reasonable umpires going around. And I will gladly had him umpire any Adelaide game.

Sure, his carry on makes me cringe but that’s a separate topic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players receiving their premiership medals from an awkward, fidgety auskick kid in exchange for a crappy ill-fitting hat is a trite, embarrassing, bush league routine and we should 100% go back to the old legends handing out the medals like in the 90s.
Can't like this enough. It is the crowning achievement in the player's profession and it is tainted by awkwardly stooping down for a PR exercise rather than standing tall and soaking in the moment and receiving their medal (preferably from a club legend, or a person that is connected to the group).

I assert that Razor Ray Chamberlain is one of the best / fairest and most reasonable umpires going around. And I will gladly had him umpire any Adelaide game.

Sure, his carry on makes me cringe but that’s a separate topic.

That’s a decent call for mine.

He’s an ok umpire, just needs to stop thinking people come to watch him.

They got a wake up call, then the next year were clearly very well managed and refreshed under a new coach which came just at the right time. But it just shows, you need so so much to go right beyond just talented players. Best team over five years for sure, but five straight cups just doesn’t happen, it would be an absolute freak occurance.

One hill I’ll die on is that Geelong’s 2011 was an exceptional effort from Chris Scott.

Yes, he inherited a great team, but Collingwood were an absolute juggernaut (only lost to Geelong the entire season) that everyone thought would go back to back, the Cats had just lost Ablett at the peak of his career, everyone wrote them off as too old and tired to go again and best Collingwood.

For them to produce the season they did with a premiership was a brilliant achievement by both the players and the coach.

At some time in our lives (especially whilst young) we all have weird hills we're willing to die on....even if in retrospect we just clutch our foreheads in our hands and cringe with the energy of a thousand suns at.

I suspect many of us who have been influenced by the popular opinion of day to day life, BigFooty or our private group of mates, have developed opinions that have evolved far beyond being merely "unpopular" but into the realms of severe defence because for some, god awful psychologically conflated reason, we have tied this very opinion into of our view of ourselves.

For me I have 2 and they're both inspired by what I've seen is the majority consensus on here but by god I will fight tooth and nail anyone who's willing to question them:

1): Gold Coast's song isn't that bad. Seriously it is coherent, runs quite well and has a hook. It's not making anyone's top 10 but there are a LOT worse (look at Freo's for example. Or the abomination that Birds Of Tokyo has turned West Coast's into. Or GWS...though that is very popular and I feel another entry into this thread may be in the foreseeable future...)

2): Fitzroy, unlucky club with a great history that deserve a LOT better, had an awful guernsey. Seriously, is this only held up in such high esteem because it was the only "mildly" funky coloured set that existed in a rather plain and straightforward league? I'm more than willing to admit my personal taste is atrocious (I've been know to listen to B*Witched for crying out loud) but surely others can both see this and, like me, admit that it really doesn't denigrate Fitzroy as a whole if not is inclusive because I can't consider any guernsey list without them in it (even if my view of it is harsh)?

But yes, this is the thread for those who want to be more than "Unpopular", for those who are willing to die on that hill and commit their own public image and stake their own reputation on it no matter how unpopular, or in my case seemingly demonstrably wrong, their case is? We want to know that case, why you think that and how you defend those (mostly easily) refuted claims?
You should die on the that hill about Fitzroy.
They had one of the better jumpers.

Like this thread.

My takes -

The umpiring in AFL is pretty good, no worse than any other major professional sport around the world, and there is no mandated 'corruption'. It is no better or worse than it was 20 or 30 years ago. People pay far too much attention to uneducated opinions they read on internet web-sites and hear from ex-players trying to earn a media contract be being 'controversial'. Yes, there are 'rules of the week' and inconsistencies always have been, always will be.

Interchange is the worst thing to happen to the on-field product in the last 50 years, and should be removed (back to 2 subs).
I'd almost willing to die with you on that hill.
I'm ok with 2 on bench, not needing to be subs because saw it from first season I followed footy until mid 90's without a problem.
It was when it went from 3 and 4 on bench in quick time and the eventual rotations explosion that the worst thing to happen to the game.

Like this thread.

My takes -

The umpiring in AFL is pretty good, no worse than any other major professional sport around the world, and there is no mandated 'corruption'. It is no better or worse than it was 20 or 30 years ago. People pay far too much attention to uneducated opinions they read on internet web-sites and hear from ex-players trying to earn a media contract be being 'controversial'. Yes, there are 'rules of the week' and inconsistencies always have been, always will be.

Interchange is the worst thing to happen to the on-field product in the last 50 years, and should be removed (back to 2 subs).

A clear distinction for me.

Umpiring - completely agree. I actually feel some sorrow for what is forced upon them. The administration of the umpiring however, is to me undeniably worse.

Bachar Houli should've won the 2017 Norm Smith. The voters bought into the Dusty hype and gave too much weight to his performance when the game was already won.

petition.com/encourage&promoteplayerdissent&abuseofaflumpires

Otherwise, I'll never watch a game of footy again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back