Coach Josh Carr - Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

In large public corporate companies, they promote from within when things are going well and a CEO leaves, but if things are going poorly and the CEO is sacked or walks knowing his time is up, they look outside for the new CEO.

Jack was always going to be Fos' successor and Russell was always going to replace Jack, and when we entered the AFL, Bucky and Greg Boulton signed Choco to a long term deal as he was always going to be Jack's successor.
Yep, the Jack, Rus and Choco appointments came off a pretty handy era of football success. Kick started by the appointment of a Westy outsider after an 11 year premiership drought.
I'm not anti internal appointments. I'm pro the best available appointments. I'm not sure having 2026's coach worked out on a nod and a wink is in the common area of that ven diagram.

I will put this in here, because Caro raised the Josh Carr succession plan again last night, and said .... Rob Mason is working with coaches as a consultant who is coaching the coaches, but specifically with Josh Carr.

Now Caro in her usual way, may have put Mayo on this, by emphasising Josh Carr as it fits her story line of a succession plan at Port, and Rob Mason may well be equally spreading his time with all coaches.

I decided to do a search about Rob as I have no idea who he is, and the only results I found on this board was Grave Danger saying " coach development manager Rob Mason" never heard of him, when a January 2023 article by Cal Twomey on AFL website, was linked and he wrote about the week he spent inside the inner sanctum at Port during preseason. He was in 2 posts that listed who was speaking at the 2019 Members' Convention.

So I went to linkedin and found his page. He no longer is a consultant, but since October 2022 is an employee.

Oct 2022 to present under PAFC he has two listings as
Fulltime Coach Development Manager

Oct 2016 - Oct 2022 under PAFC
Contract Coach Development Consultant

His speel is
  • Providing coach development to football coaching staff, with a particular focus on teaching, learning, and effective pedagogical practice.
  • Observing, coding, and generating reports on various aspects of teaching and learning in a football environment, such as: 1:1 coach/player meetings, line meetings, team review/preview meetings, training sessions, and game-day box communication.
  • Planning and delivering customised professional development for coaching staff, synthesising current evidence from learning science with the unique context of the coaching environment.

However he also lists

Jul 2016 - Present
Coach Development Consultant
Self-employed

As a coach developer, I work with sport coaches to help them maximise their impact. I also deliver workshops to coaching teams and sporting organisations. Recent clients have included: English Premier League, UK Coaching, Irish Rugby, Rugby Canada, AFL, AFLCA, AFL Victoria, SANFL, Western Australian Institute of Sport.

Voss used him in his first year at Carlton and Port obviously said lets get him inside the tent after our failed 2022 season.

Coach Development Consultant
Carlton Football Club · Contract
Mar 2022 - Oct 2022
He is well qualified academically. Looks like he is about 34.
Got his degree plus honours from Uni of Tassie in Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Music, Psychology, Contemporary Performance and his honours thesis was titled 'Slow and steady: Age Differences in Bimanual Coordination and Motor Inhibition'

Finished that in 2012 and in 2015-16 he got a Masters degree from Melbourne Uni in Secondary school Teaching and his thesis was titled 'From Classroom to Locker Room: Visible Learning for Sports Coaching'.

Between 2013 and 2020 he was a Uni research assistant, basketball coach, Uni lecturer/tutor and project manager/researcher at Melbourne Uni.

Then did a PHD whilst he was consulting to us and others, between 2017-20 from Melbourne Uni - Completed graduate research in the area of sport coaching pedagogy. Thesis title: 'Examining the Knowledge, Use, and Reception of Verbal Coach Feedback Across High Performance Sport Environments'.

Had to look up what pedagogy is - describes the art and science of teaching students.

In 2017 he got his level 2 Basketball Australia Association Coach certificate, which probably helped him write his 2018 academic article - My time at NBA Summer League: From the perspective of a Learning Scientist.

In 2020 he wrote another academic article - An analysis of in-game feedback provided by coaches in an Australian Football League competition.
He's more qualified than Ken with his Level 2 Association Coach certificate

Is there something actually wrong with Kane? The man has genuine screws loose.
Look up Colin Cowherd. As Kane admits, he has followed in his fathers footseps as a shock jock and is using Cowherd tactics (he also admits getting inspiration from US types).

Spread as much s**t as possible, let people remember your hits and forget your misses and enter into 'feuds'.

Boring, old hat, but still effective for making money.

If you can't be remembered for being smart or kind, be remembered for being a jerk. You're still being remembered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back