Player Watch Welcome - James Trezise - 2023 VFL B&F Winner

Remove this Banner Ad

Trezise was excellent today and his ball reading and tackling were his strengths for a puny kid. Disposal mainly in kicking still needs improvement especially with penetration. Seems to poke or gently stab at it and it doesn’t quite hit the targets. Still think he’s got massive improvement in him once he gets up to full AFL fitness and strength.

Last edited:

Trezise was excellent today and his ball reading and tackling ad his strengths for a puny kid. Disposal mainly in kicking still needs improvement especially with penetration. Seems to poke or gently stab at it and it doesn’t quite hit the targets. Still think he’s got massive improvement in him once he gets up to full AFL fitness and strength.
Do you think he’s close or banks in front of him in the queue , what was biggy like and what posi he play

Do you think he’s close or banks in front of him in the queue , what was biggy like and what posi he play
He’s well ahead of Banks after today. Even Teal is ahead of Banks. BIGGY was the complete package of the good the bad and the ugly. Mainly forward with 2:7 and probably should’ve had five. BIGGY Made a lot of critical mistakes when he went in the ruck and I’m not sure if he deserves a game as he has too many costly moments.

Just seems a waste to me. Role is not required & we already know what he is

Got a chance to see someone new & you throw give the spot to a guy you already control and see all the time?

He might turn out great - i have NFI on his game. But as an opportunity to get a good look at someone else, its a bit of a wasted opportunity for me.

Well I assume there was no one better to pick otherwise they would.

I do not think they picked him just for a cultural benefit. I think there is a few shoots to draw on.

I am no expert compared to others watching the reserves but can see merit in it. I assume he earned it

Still needs to learn the defensive side of his game BO. C'mon mate you know the drill.
Actually needs to learn the offensive side of his game

James Trezise (20 disposals, seven marks, three inside-50s)

"Really liking the way he's going. Clearly, he's got strength overhead for his size, but he wins the ball back for us really well. The next layer to add to his game is his run and carry and line breaking on offence"

Actually needs to learn the offensive side of his game

James Trezise (20 disposals, seven marks, three inside-50s)

"Really liking the way he's going. Clearly, he's got strength overhead for his size, but he wins the ball back for us really well. The next layer to add to his game is his run and carry and line breaking on offence"
I was taking the piss mate as he was a forward b4 he came to us. As i have said numerous times he needs power in his legs just to have that extra gear to be at AFL level. A preseason away for me.

I’d like to see nipper in for graham , is a very good mark , nice left foot kick , and hard at it , would like to see what he’s capable of
On to the wing and move Ross to half forward where he has done well previously
I was taking the piss mate as he was a forward b4 he came to us. As i have said numerous times he needs power in his legs just to have that extra gear to be at AFL level. A preseason away for me.
He is a player for sure. Great balance and he's tough. Got lots of tools to work with.

Have really enjoyed watching him this year. Hopefully he remains on the list heading in to 2024 regardless of who is coach, because he could easily be another of our success stories that comes from those that were overlooked in multiple drafts before getting a go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strangely more confident about him than nearly all of our other youngsters.
Probably because of his age more than anything
He’s essentially two years older than Brown and Banks and the difference body wise between a 19 (Brown) year old v a 21 year old can be massive

Gives them the ability to hold up better against other mature bodies that most of the vfl system consists of
It’s also two more years of playing against men as well

Probably because of his age more than anything
He’s essentially two years older than Brown and Banks and the difference body wise between a 19 (Brown) year old v a 21 year old can be massive

Gives them the ability to hold up better against other mature bodies that most of the vfl system consists of
It’s also two more years of playing against men as well
Yeah but he's also never been in a elite program. Huge potential.

Yeah but he's also never been in an elite program. Huge potential.
Ohh 100% agree
Think he’s going to be a player for us long term
More just commenting on why it may seem he is more progressed than our other younger players

But definitely didn’t mean it to come across as if I didn’t rate him

Don’t reckon he’s far off a call up , both he and Brown. Nipper is a very good overhead mark that could only help across HF
A bloody good tackling machine too. He is someone you would hate playing on bc he makes you earn it whether you have or don’t have the ball.

Just has to keep working on being a really attacking kicker. Also needs to work really hard in the gym.

He could be a version of a Hayden Young at his best.

Long term looks to be the perfect Vlastuin replacement, but in the short term I think his best path into the side could be to have a go up forward.

He's an elite overhead mark for his size, tackles well and has plenty of speed. I think he could play the hybrid key forward/pressure forward role Pickett is currently playing and the likes of Townsend and Caddy have played in the past.

I know he's played a few quarters up forward really early in the year, but I'd like to see him given a proper go there this week against Southport.

Long term looks to be the perfect Vlastuin replacement, but in the short term I think his best path into the side could be to have a go up forward.

He's an elite overhead mark for his size, tackles well and has plenty of speed. I think he could play the hybrid key forward/pressure forward role Pickett is currently playing and the likes of Townsend and Caddy have played in the past.

I know he's played a few quarters up forward really early in the year, but I'd like to see him given a proper go there this week against Southport.
And apparently 192cms??? Great option for us I would have thought.

And apparently 192cms??? Great option for us I would have thought.
Club website has him at 188, but he definitely plays tall even if he isn't. When we're crying out for marking targets up forward, it seems a no brainer to me to give this bloke a go.

I'd even be tempted to take a risk and put him straight in against West Coast this week.

Club website has him at 188, but he definitely plays tall even if he isn't. When we're crying out for marking targets up forward, it seems a no brainer to me to give this bloke a go.

I'd even be tempted to take a risk and put him straight in against West Coast this week.
I would to.

Yeah I thought he was reported as 188cm but the Talking Tigers podcast said hes 192 which got me excited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back