Universal Love Welcome Sam Gibson :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibson is not the HB organiser!

If we are not going to use Milera, then Douglas is probably the best option, followed by Gibbs & Sloane.
I really haven't noticed much of Gibson except when he's been tagging Sloane.

Douglas makes sense to me and I've said I think he's in line for Smith's spot before trade period. I do worry though that he doesn't have enough penetration on his kick to break zones. Ditto Milera. Gibbs makes sense but I'm sure we recruited him for midfield duties. Gonna be interesting

I really haven't noticed much of Gibson except when he's been tagging Sloane.

Douglas makes sense to me and I've said I think he's in line for Smith's spot before trade period. I do worry though that he doesn't have enough penetration on his kick to break zones. Ditto Milera. Gibbs makes sense but I'm sure we recruited him for midfield duties. Gonna be interesting

It would not surprise me at all if Douglas is slotted into that HB role as a stop gap for Smith.

Quite frankly I think Gibsons been drafted for depth as much as anything. Plus it wouldn't surprise if we're keen to bring Gibson in as a development coach. I think we struggle to attract assistant coaches from interstate, so our best bet is to identify them early and bring them in for cheap as a player and once they're here, they're more likely to stay for a bit.

From what I've learned about him thus far, very much sounds like a coach in waiting type. At the very least would set a great example for our younger players about professionalism. I'm also a big fan of having a few experienced heads in our SANFL side to assist with the development of our young 1st/2nd year players. No good having a reserves side if we get pummeled every week by bigger bodied SANFL sides.

You may be correct. Benny Hart just saying he wants an "organiser" across half back. Could be Gibson. Perhaps Gibbs. Although I see Gibbs value in the middle. Will be interesting

God damn I wish we went large for Hodge.

maybe benny hart isnt as silly as he seems on Footy SA with Kornes? No leadership on the HBF is an issue for mine despite our defence on paper doing quite well. I personally think it will be gibbs/seedsman but will be interesting to see if gibson takes the role. as mentioned he is a smart cookie.

Be good for Brodie to add that to his skillset whilst he is out for the year.

anyone able to post up a stat comparison for smith vs gibson

unless its been done and iv missed it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's come to this as this .....we didn't trade him in for Smiths role
Isn’t the knock on him his leg? The exact opposite of Smith.

If we play him on the wing, he adds another hard player around the contest, which Atkins, Seedsman and Milera aren’t. He can tag which he can’t do at half back.

It also hopefully gives a year for Milera to play half back, become harder and more defensive and then unleash him to the wing in 2019 when Smith returns.

Pykey was keen to move Fouglas to HB this year however ended using Douglas to plug gaps in the midfield

I expect Douglas will do another pre-season with the defenders and will make that move to HB and pick up Smith's role and this will allow Gibson to take Douggues role in the midfield

how many times did smith line up on the wing?
Who can tell these days ? ......the players are constantly changing thru games .....it's like saying which mid was playing on which opposition mid ? ......the fact they stand next to each other at a centre bounce means very little

Isn’t the knock on him his leg? The exact opposite of Smith.

If we play him on the wing, he adds another hard player around the contest, which Atkins, Seedsman and Milera aren’t. He can tag which he can’t do at half back.

It also hopefully gives a year for Milera to play half back, become harder and more defensive and then unleash him to the wing in 2019 when Smith returns.
Milera's hardness is underrated ......he's a 2nd year player thats building his body & tank .....i saw little evidence that he avoided going in to a contest, but i did with Atkins

The Knock on Gibson early was his leg ......IMO that tag often sticks with a player even after he improves that weakness .......Jake Kelly was bad, Burton was horrid ......but they both improved, but will never be considered as great kicks

If Gibsons kicking was that bad, he wouldn't have played 130 consecutive games, inc Finals

It would not surprise me at all if Douglas is slotted into that HB role as a stop gap for Smith.

Quite frankly I think Gibsons been drafted for depth as much as anything. Plus it wouldn't surprise if we're keen to bring Gibson in as a development coach. I think we struggle to attract assistant coaches from interstate, so our best bet is to identify them early and bring them in for cheap as a player and once they're here, they're more likely to stay for a bit.

From what I've learned about him thus far, very much sounds like a coach in waiting type. At the very least would set a great example for our younger players about professionalism. I'm also a big fan of having a few experienced heads in our SANFL side to assist with the development of our young 1st/2nd year players. No good having a reserves side if we get pummeled every week by bigger bodied SANFL sides.

I also see Douglas heading back to HBF to cover for Smith. He was pencilled in to play there this year but our need for him in the midfield was greater.

This is what I think is being considered hence bringing in Gibson to fill in for Douglas in the midfield and adding Gibbs as a cherry on top.

Kk
As far as random crows mature age recruits from Victorian clubs goes where does he rate compared to the likes of his esteemed forefathers

Stuart Wigney
Shane Ellen
Barry Stanfield
Evan Hewitt
Fair bit older

Remove this Banner Ad

Back