Welcome Welcome to the Hawks Jack Scrimshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have signed Jack Scrimshaw on for the next 7 years. I think Jack Scrimshaw is the most vital defender in Sam Mitchell's system and may just be the player most integral to our hopeful future success.

Jack Scrimshaw has well and truly gone from being a promising youngster to one of the best defenders overall this season. He has stood up as a leader, being asked to play as a true key defender, something he probably hasn’t done since U18s. And it has brought out the best in him. He has held up our backline and defensive structure (aided consistently by Sam Frost and inconsistently by Sis). His aerial intercepting has been absolutely sublime and of the highest order. As I said after the Bulldogs match, he really could intercept a Boeing 737 the way he is playing. But he's not just intercepting in aerial contests. He's holding his ground in one-on-ones and starting to win out in more contests. He's also still providing his Birchall-esque qualities to start plays and get the ball out of our defensive half. He still has a fair bit of room to improve as well.

We'd be very fortunate if we beat Port this weekend without Scrimshaw. In the future, he'll probably go back to his third-tall role, but it certainly seems he'll be holding down a key position post in the short term. He could very well be on his way to a Peter Crimmins Medal. He has become one of my favourites (all of them are my favourites haha). I couldn't be happier that Scrimma has signed on.

I would have signed Jack Scrimshaw on for the next 7 years. I think Jack Scrimshaw is the most vital defender in Sam Mitchell's system and may just be the player most integral to our hopeful future success.

Jack Scrimshaw has well and truly gone from being a promising youngster to one of the best defenders overall this season. He has stood up as a leader, being asked to play as a true key defender, something he probably hasn’t done since U18s. And it has brought out the best in him. He has held up our backline and defensive structure (aided consistently by Sam Frost and inconsistently by Sis). His aerial intercepting has been absolutely sublime and of the highest order. As I said after the Bulldogs match, he really could intercept a Boeing 737 the way he is playing. But he's not just intercepting in aerial contests. He's holding his ground in one-on-ones and starting to win out in more contests. He's also still providing his Birchall-esque qualities to start plays and get the ball out of our defensive half. He still has a fair bit of room to improve as well.

We'd be very fortunate if we beat Port this weekend without Scrimshaw. In the future, he'll probably go back to his third-tall role, but it certainly seems he'll be holding down a key position post in the short term. He could very well be on his way to a Peter Crimmins Medal. He has become one of my favourites (all of them are my favourites haha). I couldn't be happier that Scrimma has signed on.

Did you change your username [mention]Simon Crawshay [/mention] ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you change your username [mention]Simon Crawshay [/mention] ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No but to be honest though I did have to double check that it wasn't one of my old posts 😂

Well put Titch, I honestly couldn't have put it better myself and that's high praise indeed when it comes to Scrimmers 👍

I'm stoked to (finally) see Jack getting both the Internal and External recognition his output and talent deserves.

No but to be honest though I did have to double check that it wasn't one of my old posts 😂

Well put Titch, I honestly couldn't have put it better myself and that's high praise indeed when it comes to Scrimmers 👍

I'm stoked to (finally) see Jack getting both the Internal and External recognition his output and talent deserves.
Talent was never doubted by anyone. He’s always been sublimely skillful, footy iq, flashes of brilliance, cleanliness, courage and ability aerially to mark anything and everything.

You’ve seen him intercept and provided the “Birchall run” off half back where he glides off and can pinpoint low darts, but also getting those handballs for finishes outside 50 (more of this from him, Sicily, Amon and Weddle please).

He would always struggle for continuity of game time and during games where his effort and intensity would be up and down. At his best he was electric and a superb player. At his worse he was a liability. As Hawthorn will as a team, he has taken his worse games and demolished the gap between that and his best.

The next step is continuing to back in his abilities and to find more of the footy to utilise his skill.

Able to lockdown on smalls/talls, skills, intercept and leadership is an all round player who if we see it all at once with high end production for a season. Screams All Australian. He’s very capable, talent is through the roof.

High praise deserved after a super start to his 2024 campaign.

This is a great contract length for Scrim. Keeps a bit of a fire under him, and gives both player and club some flexibility. If we don't manage to kick on he'll be out of contract at 28 and given the opportunity to seek some success elsewhere, and it's not so long that he'll get complacent as other players given massive deals have.

2024 has been below his career average disposals, kicks, marks, metres gained, tackles.

...yet it's the best he's ever played IMO.
He’s been incredible defensively. We now know what we are going to get each week from him.

Something we need across the team now. The offensive will come need a consistent defensive effort.

2024 has been below his career average disposals, kicks, marks, metres gained, tackles.

...yet it's the best he's ever played IMO.
It’s not all about how often you get it, but what you do with it when you have it, and moreso what you do when you don’t.

Hes finally worked that out.

I said last year something along the lines that we should be talking about him in the same way we do Sicily.

If we’re not there yet then we’re getting bloody close.
Getting close. Still hasn't blow apart a game with 40 touches, which is a rare skill. Would love to see him be able to do that.

I said last year something along the lines that we should be talking about him in the same way we do Sicily.

If we’re not there yet then we’re getting bloody close.
He's always had a similar offensive game to Sic (great kick, excellent intercept mark, smooth mover).

But this year he's improved his ability to compete man on man with the key forwards, similar to what Sicily did at around the same age (25).

If we can get Scrimmers and Sic on the park in peak form at the same time that will be a huge asset to the side. Two of the best intercept marks in the game playing across half back is a tantalising prospect.

Getting close. Still hasn't blow apart a game with 40 touches, which is a rare skill. Would love to see him be able to do that.
Why?

He has improved significantly this year by defending better and his disposal rate is lower.

Getting lots of disposals as a defender is not a sign of a good game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't mean he should be the same player as Sicily. More that with what we know his potential could be that if he could reach it his importance and standing within the team would be on par with Sicily.

Don't worry about the stats. İt's the NET ( Naked Eye Test) . He goes for those intercept marks with confidence and better still, he takes them. There's a real determination in his body language that passed all statistical analysis.

Why?

He has improved significantly this year by defending better and his disposal rate is lower.

Getting lots of disposals as a defender is not a sign of a good game.

Contrast Scrim’s performance with those games last year where Sicily absolutely blew three game apart - pies, saints, etc. The possessions are just one metric, but having the ball 40 times in the hands with someone who has as dangerous a boot as Sicily or Scrimshaw is huge for the team.

Yes he’s been very very good this year, but he’s not yet shown his best is as good as Sicily’s best. Doesn’t mean it won’t/can’t be. Just hasn’t done it yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back