Welcome to Tigerland - David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

1632144501510.png

The Teague train has arrived at Tigerland.

Richmond has secured the services of David Teague, with the former Carlton coach to work under Damien Hardwick as an assistant.

The Tigers confirmed on Monday that Teague would be an assistant coach at the Tigers from the 2022 season — an appointment flagged by foxfooty.com.au earlier this month.

It comes just under one month after Teague was sacked by the Blues, despite coaching the club in just 50 games.

His dismissal came about after an independent review into the club’s football department, which also saw assistant coach Dale Amos and, eventually, chief executive Cain Liddle depart the club.

“Coaching is my passion, and I am excited by the opportunity to get to work with a new group of players and at a new club,” Teague said.

[PLAYERCARD]David Teague[/PLAYERCARD] was let go by Carlton. Picture: Michael Klein
David Teague was let go by Carlton. Picture: Michael KleinSource: News Corp Australia

“I am looking forward to getting to work this pre-season and embracing the challenge that we all have, to climb the Tigers back up the ladder in 2022.”

After coaching VFL club Northern Bullants, Teague had stints at West Coast, St Kilda and Adelaide before linking up with Carlton, firstly as an assistant before taking over as senior coach.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s AFL 360, Hardwick said Teague would bring “great knowledge” to the Tigers and a “real breath of fresh air”.

“Sometimes I think what happens is you can have a go at senior coaching and you can come back and you can learn a lot – and I’ve got no doubt David has,” Hardwick told AFL 360.

“We’ve had some great conversations. He’ll be involved at our forward end – whether it’s forwards or our offence, we’re not quite sure yet, we haven’t solidified that. But we’re really excited to welcome him on board.

“He’s a great coach, got great knowledge, fantastic fella and it’s a big win for us.”

Richmond football performance boss Tim Livingstone said Teague would be a great addition to the club’s coaching department.

“David is a highly skilled and experienced coach who will be of great benefit to our players and his fellow coaches,” he said.

“We are excited to have David on board and welcome him and his family to the Richmond Football Club.”

Earlier, Blues assistant Cameron Bruce, who worked under Teague, was signed by the Brisbane Lions.

Bruce, a former Melbourne player, started his coaching career at Hawthorn during its three-peat run before joining the Blues in 2018.

Has a better coaching record than clarko and dimma at the same stages of their careers. Was just another carlspoon scapegoat, clubs rotten from the ground up and coaches always get the ass.
Im really excited, will do great with dimma in a winning environment.
Reminds me of ratten , unfairly treated too. Can he can bring over Cripps and walsh too ?

View attachment 1241483

The Teague train has arrived at Tigerland.

Richmond has secured the services of David Teague, with the former Carlton coach to work under Damien Hardwick as an assistant.

The Tigers confirmed on Monday that Teague would be an assistant coach at the Tigers from the 2022 season — an appointment flagged by foxfooty.com.au earlier this month.

It comes just under one month after Teague was sacked by the Blues, despite coaching the club in just 50 games.

His dismissal came about after an independent review into the club’s football department, which also saw assistant coach Dale Amos and, eventually, chief executive Cain Liddle depart the club.

“Coaching is my passion, and I am excited by the opportunity to get to work with a new group of players and at a new club,” Teague said.

David Teague was let go by Carlton. Picture: Michael Klein
David Teague was let go by Carlton. Picture: Michael KleinSource: News Corp Australia

“I am looking forward to getting to work this pre-season and embracing the challenge that we all have, to climb the Tigers back up the ladder in 2022.”

After coaching VFL club Northern Bullants, Teague had stints at West Coast, St Kilda and Adelaide before linking up with Carlton, firstly as an assistant before taking over as senior coach.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s AFL 360, Hardwick said Teague would bring “great knowledge” to the Tigers and a “real breath of fresh air”.

“Sometimes I think what happens is you can have a go at senior coaching and you can come back and you can learn a lot – and I’ve got no doubt David has,” Hardwick told AFL 360.

“We’ve had some great conversations. He’ll be involved at our forward end – whether it’s forwards or our offence, we’re not quite sure yet, we haven’t solidified that. But we’re really excited to welcome him on board.

“He’s a great coach, got great knowledge, fantastic fella and it’s a big win for us.”

Richmond football performance boss Tim Livingstone said Teague would be a great addition to the club’s coaching department.

“David is a highly skilled and experienced coach who will be of great benefit to our players and his fellow coaches,” he said.

“We are excited to have David on board and welcome him and his family to the Richmond Football Club.”

Earlier, Blues assistant Cameron Bruce, who worked under Teague, was signed by the Brisbane Lions.

Bruce, a former Melbourne player, started his coaching career at Hawthorn during its three-peat run before joining the Blues in 2018.

Oooo I do like he is working on our offence. Our ball movement inside 50 was shite. Good recruitment IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is actually a great get.
Look at leppas impact after a senior gig.

Yeah mate, that was my first thoughts too. Former senior coaches who were quality assistants first are gold when they get back to assistant level. Full cooperation and empathy with the senior coach, no desire to undermine them, hungry to prove the knockers wrong and contribute heavily in a new environment.

Should be a really good asset with his knowledge and ability setting teams up forward of centre, it's certainly an area we can improve significantly on.

Very excited by this appointment.

I've mentioned on another thread that I really like the idea of bringing in ex-head coaches. I feel that they are actually better for the experience of running their own team and can better support the head couch as a result. They have their own ideas, know what worked for them and what didn't. They are students of the game and have a greater scope of the leagues successful strategies.

They understand what it means to run a club and so are better at supporting a head coach as a result. probably most importantly though, they have a point to prove and are determined to so the football world that they can be a success and will stop at nothing to help the club, who gave them a second chance, into achieving that.

Leppa is a prime example of what a ex-head coach can bring to our side. He brought in new ideas, challenged Dimma, was fiercely loyal to him. Teague will do the same. Leppa's greatest strength and legacy to our club, was transforming our defence. Teague will do the same to our offence.

Ex-head coaches will not agree to work beneath any other coach. Only the most successful and respected head coaches can attract the loyalty of such assets. We are lucky to have one of them and we will be all the better for having Teague join our ranks.

It's worth noting that Teague was the Crows fwd line Coach in '16 & '17 when they were #1 for scoring in both yrs. It's an area we need to be better at & we have the right guy to sort it. In '17 they scored 247 more pts than next best across H&A #GoTiges !

Tex, Jenkins and Eddie and he did that. Imagine what he could do with Jack, Lynch and Dusty! :cool:

It was clearly obvious after watching AFL 360 last night that Clarko will be at Richmond in 2023 as a assistant coach
he was giggling at everything Dimma said
If we have another season like the last one i wouldn't be surprised if he took over lol :tongueoutv1:

Very excited by this appointment.

I've mentioned on another thread that I really like the idea of bringing in ex-head coaches. I feel that they are actually better for the experience of running their own team and can better support the head couch as a result. They have their own ideas, know what worked for them and what didn't. They are students of the game and have a greater scope of the leagues successful strategies.

They understand what it means to run a club and so are better at supporting a head coach as a result. probably most importantly though, they have a point to prove and are determined to so the football world that they can be a success and will stop at nothing to help the club, who gave them a second chance, into achieving that.

Leppa is a prime example of what a ex-head coach can bring to our side. He brought in new ideas, challenged Dimma, was fiercely loyal to him. Teague will do the same. Leppa's greatest strength and legacy to our club, was transforming our defence. Teague will do the same to our offence.

Ex-head coaches will not agree to work beneath any other coach. Only the most successful and respected head coaches can attract the loyalty of such assets. We are lucky to have one of them and we will be all the better for having Teague join our ranks.
I'd like to think so but in the case of Leppa and Teag coaching...lightening never strikes the same spot twice...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back