Club Focus West Coast 2019

What is the priority at West Coast this off-season?

• Recruiting Tim Kelly

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Finding ruck cover

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Re-signing 2020s RFAs

• Going to the draft

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Managing the salary cap

• Total voters

Lore

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
This is an Eagles-specific version of the player contracts & statistics spreadsheet pinned to the top of this forum. It summarises your players' contract situations, experience, ages and heights. The data is from footywire, and the spreadsheet will update itself when footywire is updated. It may contain some errors, I do not have the ability to update them so we just have to deal with what footywire gives us. It's the best we can do for the moment.

According to this data, West Coast are:
- 17th tallest, averaging 184.9cm
- 12th heaviest, averaging 85.8kg
- 13th oldest with an average age of 24.1 years
- 6th most experienced, averaging 76.2 career games

Your picks in the first five rounds of the 2019 national draft are:
1st round pick (tied to West Coast - currently pick 17)
2nd round pick (tied to Sydney - currently pick 23)
2nd round pick (tied to West Coast - currently pick 35)
4th round pick (tied to St Kilda - currently pick 58)

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Who retires, who is traded, and who is re-signed?

What do you see as the gaps in the list? How could those gaps be filled? Via trade or from the draft?

What will it take to get it all done, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lore

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I guess finding support or a replacement for Nic Nat might be something of a priority?

And the Tim Kelly saga continues to drag on. Outside of that looks pretty tidy at first glance, though I notice you have no 26 year olds at all at the minute. Seems to be a fifteen month age gap between Gaff and Yeo, with only a rookie in between, not that it currently has much impact.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Thanks Lore

Just on your comments we did draft Bailey Williams last year who would seem to be developing replacement for Naitanui. At the same time could be the developing replacement for Kennedy forward.

Like you mentioned Tim Kelly is the key to where our draft position finalizes itself. Would love to see us have a good crack at FA Coniglio as well, if it came down to one or the other I think I'd rather Coniglio fractionally.

In terms of the draft I think a key forward looking post Kennedy is a target. Brander may need to be used to secure Kelly and Oscar Allen isn't going to be a power key fwd I don't think.

Apart from that I want to see midfield, midfield and more midfield. In recent drafts we've just missed some bigger bodied, first possession type mids like Constable (Geelong), Collier Dawkins (Richmond), O'Halloran (GWS) and Stocker (Carlton)

Ryan Byrnes is a favourite of mine that should be available between the second and third rounds.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
We have Kennedy (32), Darling (27), Waterman (21), Allen (20), Brander (20). I don't think drafting another forward is high on our list of priorities. I don't know how highly Geelong rates Brander (I know their fans don't really rate any of our players) but WC rate him absurdly high internally. He was categorically not up for trade last year and is still under contract. Every player is tradeable, but the notion that we will just 'chuck in' Brander to a trade is a bit silly. In a straight swap I doubt the club would entertain a pick outside the top 10 for him. I'm sure plenty of people would say 'Why? What's he ever done?' but take it up with Craig Vozzo and co. They are the ones who do the trades.

With whatever draft picks we end up with just go best available.

ROYAL EAGLE

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
I think apart from cogs and Kelly possible trades wce will focus on mids inside inparticular

We also like another developing key backman and small backman

Another trade target maybe callum ah chee would could be another small backman we need

Top Bottom