Traded Tyler Brockman [Traded to West Coast for #44 and #63]

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. We wanted a few more points for our F/S bids and your team are still working out the most important trade/no trade of the year.

I just think Duursma and Curtin would be huge for the Eagles.

Would want McKercher and Curtin if we ended up with 2+3 personally

Midfield needs bolstering, question marks on if Duursma and Curtin can transition to that

I think the sign of a good trade for all parties is when both sides say 'Hmmm, yes, wasn't great but wasn't bad. We're not entirely happy but we're happy enough'.

Good luck Tyler, back at home.

Ouch. Expected, but Eagles have been able to take full advantage of their situation. (PSD, family network in WA, Freo not interested early, etc). Disagree with people saying #44 and #63 is not insulting - it's certainly at the very low end of "fair" at best.

I fully expect in five years time, the media will include this trade in their group of worst ever. Brocky's a potential top-50 player in the future (optimistic) and in an open market I would have expected him to attract an early 2nd pick.

I'm disappointed Tyler changed his mind so late in the season, after he apparently committed to staying another two years back in July. (The Eagles two extra years and the extra $$$$$ offered would certainly help make that decision!).

I don't begrudge him wanting to go home - I can only imagine how hard it was for his wife with twin bubs and no family support in Vic. I hope he can show Eagles fans what he only gave us glimpses of (except against us).

Eagles caved. Nice guys once again

Got it done as they always do

Paid overs given the leverage but that's just standard WC

Overs? Caved?

What on earth - there's no overs here. You gave away very little - some late picks in a notoriously shallow draft for a talented young player. Are people not aware that picks in the 40's have something like 8% chance of ever playing 50 games. The likelihood you would have picked someone better at pick 44 is very, very slim (and you wouldn't have even used pick 63).

For some perspective, I looked up the last 7 pick 44's to give a sense of what you've likely given away:

2016 - Myles Poholke (Ade)
2017 - Hugh Dixon (Freo)
2018 - Justin McInerny (Syd)
2019 - Will Martyn (Rich)
2020 - Beau McCreery (Coll)
2021 - Zac Taylor (Adel)
2022 - Isaac Keeler (St K)

So more than half never played a game and another guy who was delisted after 1 match. Only 2 out of 7 likely to reach the 50 game mark - basically as role players.

You definately haven't paid overs.

I think the sign of a good trade for all parties is when both sides say 'Hmmm, yes, wasn't great but wasn't bad. We're not entirely happy but we're happy enough'.

Good luck Tyler, back at home.
Not sure the Eagles should be at all in that camp, despite his inconsistencies he has talent.

They got a decent young prospect for two late picks in a very very shallow draft... It was a great result for them.

Overs? Caved?

What on earth - there's no overs here. You gave away very little - some late picks in a notoriously shallow draft for a talented young player. Are people not aware that picks in the 40's have something like 8% chance of ever playing 50 games. The likelihood you would have picked someone better at pick 44 is very, very slim (and you wouldn't have even used pick 63).

For some perspective, I looked up the last 7 pick 44's to give a sense of what you've likely given away:

2017 - Hugh Dixon (Freo)
2021 - Zac Taylor (Adel)

So more than half never played a game and another guy who was delisted after 1 match. Only 2 out of 7 likely to reach the 50 game mark - basically as role players.

Zac Taylor imo is going to be a very good player for us once he is injury free.

Polholke was a bust though.

This trade was around as expected, given Weagles had leverage of PSD threat.

Thats why he is a bargain. He has some real tricks but due to his circumstances his head hasnt been fully in the game.

He could be a very good player back home.
Something thats hard to quantify no doubt

Small fwds can get away with just applying pressure and kicking 1 goal a week and its ok going

Overs? Caved?

2017 - Hugh Dixon (Freo)
2021 - Zac Taylor (Adel)

Some people are never happy with what the club does.

Saying 44 and 63 is somehow overs because we could've gotten him in the PSD for nothing is insane.

Pick 44 for Brockman was the power of the PSD in play no doubt.
In the end, the hawks salvaged what they could as was always going to be the case and better than they would have received from the likes of Dodoro/Silvagni/Mackie.
The funniest part of this thread was the nonsense that Brockman was prepared to stay in Melbourne if the Eagles didn’t stump up big time in trade 🤣🤣

Saying 44 and 63 is somehow overs because we could've gotten him in the PSD for nothing is insane.

Or it's possible to be happy that the club gets deals done, but also be of the belief that given the leverage we played a bit more than needed to keep the good relationship

Insane I know

No idea what the lad is worth - never seen him play

What I do find odd though is the complete lack of clubs taking a player in the PSD

Aside from Pick 1 - it’s the massive bonus for finishing last - being able to target any uncontracted player

What I do find odd though is the complete lack of clubs taking a player in the PSD

Aside from Pick 1 - it’s the massive bonus for finishing last - being able to target any uncontracted player
I don't think the clubs see it that way. The PSD has always been a path for players who are unwanted. The rare occasions it has been used to circumvent trades have always been controversial and disdained.

Even now, fans look down on Adelaide and Carlton over Hately and Martin (and neither of them are even that good).

Teams down the bottom have lots of tools. You have elite draft picks and the MSD, which your club and mine have used spectacularly. We don't need the "dodgy" PSD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the clubs see it that way. The PSD has always been a path for players who are unwanted. The rare occasions it has been used to circumvent trades have always been controversial and disdained.

Even now, fans look down on Adelaide and Carlton over Hately and Martin (and neither of them are even that good).

Teams down the bottom have lots of tools. You have elite draft picks and the MSD, which your club and mine have used spectacularly. We don't need the "dodgy" PSD.
Yep half the deal went down as it did fair deal and yes absolutely get rid of the PSD it’s just AFL creating more media content.

Hope he has a good career and fulfills his potential, fun to watch. The way he moves always reminds me of mark Williams, particularly the way he decelerates so quickly once he takes the mark.

Agree the clubs don’t see it that way - I just don’t understand why

It’s a legacy draft that’s probably not needed given free agency, delisted free agents etc

However a club would be negligent to not use the rules as they stand

It’s not a loophole - it’s actually how it’s structured

Wouldn’t be surprised if the PSD is actually removed in the future

Agree the clubs don’t see it that way - I just don’t understand why

It’s a legacy draft that’s probably not needed given free agency, delisted free agents etc

However a club would be negligent to not use the rules as they stand

It’s not a loophole - it’s actually how it’s structured

Wouldn’t be surprised if the PSD is actually removed in the future
I think in all sports there have always been rules that are deemed wrong or "against the spitit of the game". That culture can change over time though. I wonder if it will.

I think in all sports there have always been rules that are deemed wrong or "against the spitit of the game". That culture can change over time though. I wonder if it will.

Nothing wrong with the PSD. Its job is keep deals reasonable and not lop sided.......unless you dont negotiate at all.

Also a mid season trade period coming up will make the PSD even more interesting. Will clubs select players in the PSD and then trade them in six months time mid season?

Nothing wrong with the PSD. Its job is keep deals reasonable and not lop sided.......unless you dont negotiate at all.

Also a mid season trade period coming up will make the PSD even more interesting. Will clubs select players in the PSD and then trade them in six months time mid season?
Yeah I don't know. I like the idea of a mid season trading period, but I do have fears about it. I really like the idea of players who aren't really wanted by their teams getting out earlier, or teams who need a journeyman to fill a key role able to get them in before the season is lost.

Tyler could have gone to WC half way through the year and probably been much happier. He is a great example of how it could have worked really well.

But what I don't want to see from a mid season trading period is elite players jumping onto the bandwagon of a team that looks almost certain to win a flag. That just would feel really cheap to me.

But what I don't want to see from a mid season trading period is elite players jumping onto the bandwagon of a team that looks almost certain to win a flag. That just would feel really cheap to me.

I agree with this - for no logical reason other than the feels

All hoping it’s the reserve ruckman who goes to a club who have lost their ruckman and are competing for finals and need a tall body

Wondering whether the AFL could implement a rule that only players who have played 5 games or less at the time qualify. That way, unless injury or suspension - it stops it being the gun players

Again - many other sports have no restrictions - so accept it is just the feels and not logic

Yeah, this is something I was keen to discuss. The only reason people see thes trades as "overs" (when they're clearly not) is because of the "we could have got him for free in the PSD". But to be fair - it's only really biased supporters who bring this up everytime who have no real sense of what the PSD is and how it is used.

If I'm to use an analogy. This Brockman trade is like (West Coast) going to Woolies and seeing something you want is 70% off. Sure, you are capable of walking out without paying for it at all (ie. just put it under your shirt and take it). But you are already getting it at a big discount - a more than fair price - so it is not worth the reputational risk (for the cost of some loose change) to try and bother walking out without paying.

In trade terms, why damage your reputation with other clubs and with prospective players wanting to come to your club for the more than fair cost of some nothing picks. (Some) fans love the idea of screwing the other club over but clubs are smarter than that (and the PSD is designed for the exact opposite). It's a fail safe. It's there as protection to enable players to get to the club of their choosing (or to pick up delisted players) when the 'selling' club refuse to negotiate or be anywhere near reasonable.

You don't need to walk away from a fair deal and exercise the 'emergency button' to save your club a couple of crappy picks that are worth less than the player you are getting. That's a very quick way to tell the player he is worth nothing, to show other players the club won't trade in good faith for you and to show other clubs and list managers the same.

Pull the trigger when the seller is being completely unreasonable for a prized asset, not for a cheap trade that costs next to nothing.

^^. FYI this wasn’t about Brockman - some late picks isn’t worth the hassle

But why not target the best uncontracted player available - give them the same offer you’d give a RFA

Take for example English - if we were last next year - and he wanted to come. Why even entertain a trade

Just take him via the PSD

I get clubs don’t do that and it’s frowned upon - I just don’t understand why

If it’s structured incorrectly - then change the rules or scrap the PSD

For those saying why Brockman didn't entertain a trade to Freo, the Eagles had been in his ear since last year, wanted him.to come home back then, before he signed a 1 year extension with Hawthorn

It's unfortunate that Freo were caught off guard about Lachie Schultz wanting to return home to Victoria, or I am sure they would have joined in the chase for Brockman sooner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back