West Coast - time for a rebuild?

How is Eddie Betts remembered?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically they should start this year if they don't win the flag which is a very very slim chance. Their list is in shocking shape, they're going to lose genuine superstars of the game in Kennedy and nic nat over the next 2 years, hurn might go this year. Shuey and mcgovern are on the serious decline already with injuries starting to play a big part. Gaff and redden are workhorses but provide no hurt factor .

They have one potentially elite player under 22 in Allen but outside a few games early he hasn't been overly impressive this year . The rest of their youth is made up of picks jn the 30+ range and the ones that have come in O'Neil,ainsworth, Foley,Edwards have 1 good game then a sub standard game and are dropped again. They are a big club and should be able to attract a fair share of wa players home but if I'm picking a wa club to go back to it would be freo right now.

How they could only kick 2 goals to 3QT with Kennedy, Darling, Allen, Cripps, Petch in the forward line is astounding.

That’s one of the leagues most potent forward lines right there (add Ryan and Rioli as well) and either the game plan has gone past the team and needs to be reset or the players pick and choose when to play.

I suspect the former.

How they could only kick 2 goals to 3QT with Kennedy, Darling, Allen, Cripps, Petch in the forward line is astounding.

That’s one of the leagues most potent forward lines right there (add Ryan and Rioli as well) and either the game plan has gone past the team and needs to be reset or the players pick and choose when to play.

I suspect the former.

Old, stale and predictable game plan.

Zone defense that is no longer relevant after rule changes.

Lazy coaches who refuse to change with the times.

Handful of players happy to sit back on big $$$$ and coast.

Refuse to spend low picks drafting skilled mids and runners.

Eagles have enough talent. Just dont know how to use it and wont drop big names. Were playing well then dropped 5 kids / role players to bring back big names, have struggled ever since.

Your analysis is usually quite unimpassioned and considered but your post here is a bit of a hodgepodge with each sentence appearing unrelated to the one preceding it. West Coast is better than Freo and will soon win a 12th consecutive derby yet somehow we've managed to upset you by using a facetious term that your own fans contrived. Is that the gist of it?

Tbh i'm not really sure why you're discussing Freo fans in a thread about West Coast's imminent rebuild. Is there something special about us that rattles you? I guess it's easier to go after the low-hanging fruit than it is facing the reality of your situation.

Did you read the post directly above mine?

The idea that WC 'get up' for derbies is silly. We don't get up for anything lately. The reason our recent record vs Freo is so strong is that Freo have been poor.

Old, stale and predictable game pla

Eagles have enough talent. Just dont know how to use it and wont drop big names. Were playing well then dropped 5 kids / role players to bring back big names, have struggled ever since.

Re - just dont know how to use it

Re Kelly - id play him and Geel were towards to the end - 70% half forward - 30% on the ball - he kicked 20 plus goals in both seasons - and some ripper goals out of nothing - you have to get him around the goals - he is clever and dangerous around the goals

He is no A grade midfielder - he is not quick enough - nor is a good enough kick or penetrating kick

Play him around the goals and you will get some value

Did you read the post directly above mine?

The idea that WC 'get up' for derbies is silly. We don't get up for anything lately. The reason our recent record vs Freo is so strong is that Freo have been poor.
I’ll guess we ll see in the next derby then.
the number 1 reason WC have had these diabolical performances is attitude or lack of effort.

Of course youve already positioned your POV perfectly tho so when the inevitable happens and WC come out breathing fire in the derby, you can simply put it down to freo playing bad .

Totally dismissing the fact that your team will be close to full strength 9AA players is it?) and clearly in a different phase(pushing for a premiership) whilst freo are still in the latter stages of a rebuild with a few key injuries.

I’ll guess we ll see in the next derby then.
the number 1 reason WC have had these diabolical performances is attitude or lack of effort.

Of course youve already positioned your POV perfectly tho so when the inevitable happens and WC come out breathing fire in the derby, you can simply put it down to freo playing bad .

Totally dismissing the fact that your team will be close to full strength 9AA players is it?) and clearly in a different phase(pushing for a premiership) whilst freo are still in the latter stages of a rebuild with a few key injuries.

Yeah no one cares. Given the winner of the derby might make the finals at the expense of the other maybe worry about your own team 'breathing fire'.

The bolded is 100% correct. The 'quarters won' ladder hasn't got a run for a while but I imagine we would be bottom 6 despite having a positive W-L record.

Things can turn around quickly but WC definitely need to find a few younger players.

The number I keep going back to: in the past 10 off-seasons, how many proven AFL-calibre midfielders have WC drafted?

It's one-and-a-half.

Dom Sheed the Kalgoorlie Kid and Rabbit Hutchings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bolded is 100% correct. The 'quarters won' ladder hasn't got a run for a while but I imagine we would be bottom 6 despite having a positive W-L record.
It is attitude/lack of effort? Or has the game plan imploded and we're not attuned to having to play on these different terms where we can't just chip it around uncontested?

Pretty reasonable chat between David King and Joe Montagna on First Crack about WC's position. Is it personnel? Is it game plan? Are WC headed for a rebuiild?

Tom Morris trying to shop Elliot Yeo for a trade can get in the sea, though.

It is attitude/lack of effort? Or has the game plan imploded and we're not attuned to having to play on these different terms where we can't just chip it around uncontested?

It can be both, but I've never heard of a game plan that involves not sticking tackles.

We are last in the comp in tackles with 47.8 per game, down from 61 in 2018. We've gone from slightly above average to dead last.

This clip doesn't highlight all of it, but our intensity around the ball when Port had it was much higher than in most games this year. I don't know why we look so lacklustre.

We are probably playing the worst footy of all clubs.

Next few years could get ugly.

Im predicting a spoon battle in 2022 if Simpson doesnt mix things up a bit.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Last time pre-season predictions had you guys being a bit **** you won the flag. Rather not go through that again.

You'll be right, top up and go again.

Back