Club Focus West Coast 2020 - Langdon, Withered, Edwards, Winder, Trew

AFL Club Focus

What is the priority at West Coast this off-season?

• Recruiting via trade

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Re-signing free agents

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Going to the draft

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast club focus
What is WC's 2021 first-rounder worth in terms of this year's draft picks?

If WC packaged their 2021 first-rounder with a later pick in 2020, could they trade into the middle of this year's first round?

Would teams prefer picks next year or this year? Is next year's draft meant to be stronger?
Should be asking Geelong to give us back our 2020 first-rounder in return for next year's first-rounder.

Then trade Hickey + 30 + 52 to Swans for picks 22 + 54.

Go draft the 2 best available mids with 13 and 22, hopefully from WA.

Last edited:

Apparently he's not as good as Petruccelle, Nelson, Ah Chee or Ainsworth.

I'll be surprised if WC win another flag with those guys in the best 22.

Ah Chee and Nelson at least played roles in 2020. Ah Chee is an average mid who is playing forward because we have better mids and are missing Rioli, Venables and at times were missing Cripps. Plus Cameron who might end up a good forward got injured. I think Ah Chee offers a bit as a forward, but not what WC need. WC need small, creative forwards who apply pressure. Not a 189cm guy who is a good overhead mark for his size.

Nelson is the sort of guy who would play every game if John Worsfold was coach. Like Patrick McGinnity. But at least he gives 100% and puts his head over the ball. Even if he makes dumb decisions. Like Ashley Smith.

Petruccelle and Ainsworth offered nothing this year. Baffling to see them picked for the EF after small runs of ordinary form. There was a Petruccelle thread on here at one stage. At this stage I would let him go for a token 3rd round pick if he wanted to return to Victoria. Ainsworth looks like a talented kid who needs 3 pre-seasons in the gym. Without the obvious talent.

Ah Chee and Nelson at least played roles in 2020. Ah Chee is an average mid who is playing forward because we have better mids and are missing Rioli, Venables and at times were missing Cripps. Plus Cameron who might end up a good forward got injured. I think Ah Chee offers a bit as a forward, but not what WC need. WC need small, creative forwards who apply pressure. Not a 189cm guy who is a good overhead mark for his size.

Nelson is the sort of guy who would play every game if John Worsfold was coach. Like Patrick McGinnity. But at least he gives 100% and puts his head over the ball. Even if he makes dumb decisions. Like Ashley Smith.

Petruccelle and Ainsworth offered nothing this year. Baffling to see them picked for the EF after small runs of ordinary form. There was a Petruccelle thread on here at one stage. At this stage I would let him go for a token 3rd round pick if he wanted to return to Victoria. Ainsworth looks like a talented kid who needs 3 pre-seasons in the gym. Without the obvious talent.
Most teams in contention have an obvious positional weakness they still need to address or need to add an extra elite talent somewhere, aiming to improve their top end. WC don't really need that. The elite talent is good enough. Instead, WC need to improve from the bottom. We need upgrades on the last 3 or 4 guys picked.

I find it baffling that Jetta and Schofield were overlooked for them.

Last edited:
Most teams in contention have an obvious positional weakness they still need to address or need to add an extra elite talent somewhere, aiming to improve their top end. WC don't really need that. The elite talent is good enough. Instead, WC need to improve from the bottom. We need upgrades on the last 3 or 4 guys picked.

I find it baffling that Jetta and Schofield were overlooked for them.

Jetta didn't play between Rd 4 and Rd 15. He came in for two, went out for two and that was that. Schofield barely played at all then came in for the last two.

Rd 18 we had Ainsworth, Schofield, Foley, Petruccelle, Williams, Rotham (injured) who all played 10 or fewer games for the year. Waterman also but I reckon he's best 22.

If it was me I would've stuck with Duggan in a more attacking wing role and played Schofield who was at least in the team when the H&A sseason finished and doing a job. I get picking Rotham over Schofield if he was available as he'd played 8 in a row and has slotted in and looked AFL ready in the 14 games he has played. But I am with you in being baffled by Ainsworth and Petruccelle getting the nod given both are young and inconsistent players who haven't really shown much at AFL level. I'd love to know the match committee rationale behind what they thought those guys would add over a defender with closing speed or a half back who can kick 60 or a tagger etc.

Interesting off-season for West Coast. Do they go aggressive and bring in a couple of experienced players. Or do they think the cattle they have is good enough and have another proper crack in Kennedy's last dance?

With that list they should be contending.

Interesting off-season for West Coast. Do they go aggressive and bring in a couple of experienced players. Or do they think the cattle they have is good enough and have another proper crack in Kennedy's last dance?

With that list they should be contending.
It won't be interesting. We'll cut some dead wood and maybe do some pick swaps. We don't have the bargaining chips or the cap space to bring in experience of note.

Need a new ruckman to replace Naitanui who is 31 next year. Also need a new HBF as Hurn is just about done and Jetta is on the outer
We've drafted two young ruckmen recently and have no shortage of medium HBFs. Rotham, for example, is good enough to play across HB every week. Frankly, I'd rather find a replacement for Nelson because he is not good.

More pressing is young midfield depth and a small forward who would effectively replace Rioli/Venables while being an upgrade on Petruccelle/Ah Chee.

Need a new ruckman to replace Naitanui who is 31 next year. Also need a new HBF as Hurn is just about done and Jetta is on the outer
Got plenty of HBFs ,never going to get hurn like quality. But rotham,nelson,cole,duggan and ben johnson are a good start
Weve got 2 promising young ruckmen on the list to go with hickey and vardy ( altho 1 of or both of those veterens may not be on the list next year)
Another small forward would be good especially with rumours that Collingwood has approached jarrod cameron
An inside mid and a wingman would be top priority

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hurn's not actually that good as a player overall, we give him a pretty unaccountable role. But he has that ability to kick 60m darts. We have effective kicks in the back 6 but without Hurn and Jetta we don't have anyone who is damaging by foot.

Also trading Brander would be just about the dumbest thing we could do. Drafted him at pick 13 then signed him for 4 years because we saw long term potential in him. Right now he's a guy that has been on the list 3 years for 11 games with no standouts. He's supposed to be the next Josh Kennedy but hasn't kicked a goal, mainly due to the fact that we don't have room for him to play forward. Any club that is interested in Brander would be looking at picking him up next year for pennies on the pound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brander potential target.

What is he worth?

3 seasons in, has shown more as a wingman than KPF/KPD if anything.
One of the hardest guys to nail down what he is worth.
Personally I think his best position is as a fwd, pushing up the ground from time to time, Gunston like I guess. So for mine he would work best at a club with big stay at home FF.
Geelong were apparently interested, straight swap for Narkle?
I'd love Clark @ WC but Geelong would want a fair bit more, even though for mine Narkle has shown just as much as Clark.

As a straight pick, I'd say he is worth around 15-20 as I think he will be a gun but not all will think the same

One of the hardest guys to nail down what he is worth.
Personally I think his best position is as a fwd, pushing up the ground from time to time, Gunston like I guess. So for mine he would work best at a club with big stay at home FF.
Geelong were apparently interested, straight swap for Narkle?
I'd love Clark @ WC but Geelong would want a fair bit more, even though for mine Narkle has shown just as much as Clark.

As a straight pick, I'd say he is worth around 15-20 as I think he will be a gun but not all will think the same
Think this is almost impossible to get in return of Brander, when you considered higher draft picks with superior runs on board yielding even less at the trade table.

Think this is almost impossible to get in return of Brander, when you considered higher draft picks with superior runs on board yielding even less at the trade table.
Maybe, but you also have to take into account that he is not a run of the mill mid. Talls with his potential, versatility and skill below his knees are rare.
If he was drafted to a club who wasn't playing for a flag, without very good KPP then he would of played a heap more games.

I think North could do a lot worse than throwing their pick 25 in the ring

Maybe, but you also have to take into account that he is not a run of the mill mid. Talls with his potential, versatility and skill below his knees are rare.
If he was drafted to a club who wasn't playing for a flag, without very good KPP then he would of played a heap more games.

I think North could do a lot worse than throwing their pick 25 in the ring
Yeap, as North, I think Brander will be better than whoever they get at 25.

However, 1 - i don't think Brander would want to join a club likely to struggle for the next 5-10 years. 2 - even if I think Brander is better than pick 25, doesn't mean that will be his trading price, as similar or even better players have gone for much lower.

Yeap, as North, I think Brander will be better than whoever they get at 25.

However, 1 - i don't think Brander would want to join a club likely to struggle for the next 5-10 years. 2 - even if I think Brander is better than pick 25, doesn't mean that will be his trading price, as similar or even better players have gone for much lower.
Think if the budgies get 25-40 they should take it and run

Back