Western Australian State Cricket Team: Treble Winners. Again

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim David hurt his foot before Christmas, he fractured a bone or something like that, not sure what has happened since then.

Jason Behrendorff as well, just maybe not quite as young at the time.

That's true, but I would say that was a bit more understandable since he's from ACT and was never going to get the chance to play FC cricket if he didn't relocate anyway. I do note the other point that he did toil away in grade cricket for Subi-Floreat for a couple of years and he came out the better for it.

Maybe my thinking is just wrong/outdated and there is no reason why essentially following the footy ideology drafting a young 18 year old interstate and moulding him can't work in this day and age.

will anyone do a new Warriors 2019-20 thread? a friend of mine in the waca media department told me that the waca (matthews, voges and knightley) will be doing an announcement tomorrow for the release of the shield/one-day domestic fixtures (looking very likely that the domestic one dayers are going to be played alongside the shield)

will anyone do a new Warriors 2019-20 thread? a friend of mine in the waca media department told me that the waca (matthews, voges and knightley) will be doing an announcement tomorrow for the release of the shield/one-day domestic fixtures (looking very likely that the domestic one dayers are going to be played alongside the shield)

Probably worth starting one up tomorrow then, or just changing the title of this to being a generic Warriors thread.

according to my media friend, the warriors' team name is going to be changed (dont know if its both men and womens team names or just the one team or a new sponsor etc) so very interested in finding that out tomorrow (missed the old retravision warriors from the 90s/early 2000s from when i was a youngster)

i think it was 2014 when they were just known as warriors... then 2015/16 it was alcohol think again western warriors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think it was 2014 when they were just known as warriors... then 2015/16 it was alcohol think again western warriors

No much longer back than that, they definitely had the Warriors moiker when I was a young kid (going close to 20yrs now :/)
Reading books on Lillee, Marsh, Huges etc can't recall them ever referring to themselves as the Warriors. Presuming it had something to do with the ODD cup.

No much longer back than that, they definitely had the Warriors moiker when I was a young kid (going close to 20yrs now :/)
Reading books on Lillee, Marsh, Huges etc can't recall them ever referring to themselves as the Warriors. Presuming it had something to do with the ODD cup.
Names came in only maybe 20 years ago? From memory at the time the Sheffield Shield became the Pura Cup. But I may be conflating things....

Name change: https://waca.com.au/news/domestic-cricket-changes/2019-07-29

The Western Australian State Cricket Teams will now be referred to as the Western Australian Men’s Team and the Western Australian Women’s Team, replacing the Western Warriors and the Western Fury heading into the 2019-20 Domestic Season.

Interesting, I wonder if the other states will also be ditching their nicknames
I could be wrong but I think Victoria might have done it last season

I could be wrong but I think Victoria might have done it last season

Looks like you are spot on

Although it looks like we've just copied the Vics with both the naming and the crest design...

Probably worth starting one up tomorrow then, or just changing the title of this to being a generic Warriors thread.

Van_Dyke has the power as the OP to do this, or we could just ask Gough very nicely

Looks like you are spot on
View attachment 717838

Although it looks like we've just copied the Vics with both the naming and the crest design...
I think we reverted to the original crest, or at least one that was used decades ago. And I think they started using it a couple of years ago.

As for copying the dropping of the nickname, yeah, so what?

I think you guys are favourites for the JLT given you probably have an XI of:

S Marsh
Short
Philippe (+)
Turner
M Marsh (c)
Stoinis
Agar
NCN
Richardson
Paris
Behrendorff

Although with that many all rounders you could play Inglis/Whiteman/Cartwright at 7 and drop, um, one of the bowlers. Just have a 6 player rotation of NCN, Richo, Paris, Dorff, Tye and Kelly haha.

I wonder what year they started being called the Warriors?

I reckon about 94/95 is when it sticks out for me. I remember Martyn captaining and having the poster of them all posed around the scoreboard.

Around the same time hitting the Mercantile Mutual sign and winning $50k became a thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back