Society/Culture What are parents doing these days to help their child’s cognitive development?

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeds

Hall of Famer
Sep 15, 2007
I don't know
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think that's accurate. Mental health issues among teens is rising at a rate that can't be explained only by more recognition or diagnosis.
Do you have anything to back that up?

Bullying and violence was just part of going to school in the past and no one spoke up. Its not anymore. Bullies are now called out and ostracised. Nerd culture is now a thing. School seems to be a much more enjoyable place these days.

ShanDog

Super Moderator
Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Do you have anything to back that up?

Bullying and violence was just part of going to school in the past and no one spoke up. Its not anymore. Bullies are now called out and ostracised. Nerd culture is now a thing. School seems to be a much more enjoyable place these days.
Yes, when the rates of hospitalisation for self harm are rising by percentages in the hundreds over the last 8 years, that's not increased awareness. That's increased issues.

1605659068959.png

Last edited:

ShanDog

Super Moderator
Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Bullies are now called out and ostracised. Nerd culture is now a thing. School seems to be a much more enjoyable place these days.
I think you may have a distorted view of what school is like based on your experience. It's likely much better in some areas, but in others, it's still very bad. Throw social media into the mix and it's a perfect storm for bullying, harrassment unacceptable behaviour etc. I see it all the time where I work.

utility

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Books are great! Feck kindles and that crap. I'd rather my kids pick a book off the shelf than run to a device. They'll use them more as they get older but at least have the habit of reaching for a book.

I discovered op shop books about 18 months ago. If you know where to look you can buy great kids books for 2-3 for a dollar. My kids have hundreds of books and read every day. Fiction, non-fiction, picture books, chapter books, different languages, bilingual books, some great stuff. When my son asks me science-related questions that I can't answer I can point to some books and either read them with him or let him learn independently. Then we jump onto YT and watch videos together.

ShanDog

Super Moderator
Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Books are great! Feck kindles and that crap. I'd rather my kids pick a book off the shelf than run to a device. They'll use them more as they get older but at least have the habit of reaching for a book.

I discovered op shop books about 18 months ago. If you know where to look you can buy great kids books for 2-3 for a dollar. My kids have hundreds of books and read every day. Fiction, non-fiction, picture books, chapter books, different languages, bilingual books, some great stuff. When my son asks me science-related questions that I can't answer I can point to some books and either read them with him or let him learn independently. Then we jump onto YT and watch videos together.
There's not much better you can do to encourage and foster your children's reading and learning than this. Great stuff.

Suspense

AOC + 3
Mar 28, 2006
POLICE STATE
AFL Club
Collingwood
In defense of Kindles, they have excellent accessibility options - particularly for students that are dyslexic, low vision or just have trouble focusing on small text/bad fonts/minimal line spacing.

Enhanced Typesetting and Reading Customization

They also have useful built-in dictionary and translation features which can assist all students when reading texts - but particularly those from non-english speaking backgrounds.

Look Up Words, People, and Places While You Read

Last edited:

RookiePick

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I think you may have a distorted view of what school is like based on your experience. It's likely much better in some areas, but in others, it's still very bad. Throw social media into the mix and it's a perfect storm for bullying, harrassment unacceptable behaviour etc. I see it all the time where I work.
There is a lot of lip service to anti-bullying policies in my experience (4 x primary aged children) but when issues arise the policies are used as a shield to avoid having to deal with the issue at hand eg. we have anti-bullying policies therefore bullying cannot be occuring.

It's no surprise to me that teaching and administration staff don't want to see it when they have very effectively had their hands tied behind their backs around discipline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad