Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Huh what points for are you looking at? There are 12 other sides over 525 points, we rank 13th for points for. 6 teams have kicked 600+ with a further 3 teams nudging it 580 WB, 584 GWS and 599 WC. Every side in the top 8 is 580 plus.

Do you turn the footy off after quarter time? We are 100% leader of it both in scoring ability and making the game a quagmire with our defensive tactics.

We have kicked 201 of those points in the first quarter...
It’s not a massive difference. It’s a low scoring year. Of greatest concern to me is out inability to hit the score board after quarter time. Perhaps we lack fitness?

It’s not a massive difference. It’s a low scoring year. Of greatest concern to me is out inability to hit the score board after quarter time. Perhaps we lack fitness?
Nah.
We start fast, then the opposition unpick the reasons for that fast start and work us over.
The fact we are unable to respond to the way teams can come back at us is a coaching issue.
Pure and simple.

Nah.
We start fast, then the opposition unpick the reasons for that fast start and work us over.
The fact we are unable to respond to the way teams can come back at us is a coaching issue.
Pure and simple.
So what’s the coaching issue?

Do you enjoy watching this side play this year? With the uber defense game plan?

It's sucked the life out of watching us for mine and that is a very hard thing to achieve given how how much I have loved watching the pies since a teen. Even in 04 and 05 bot 4 I got more enjoyment out of games.

Maybe im also getting jaded in my older years combined by our dour defensive team play atm, I know the constant watering down of physical side of the game is slowly leaving a bad taste in the mouth. DOC rules and what not are making the game into another sport one where you reward a player for attacking the ball with no intents to protect himself then suspend the player who comes in legitimately who does.
The defensive game plan of clubs has removed all the enjoyment from football. Adding to the frustration, the AFL keeps changing the rules to try and counter congestion caused by defensive game plans and that only exacerbates the issues as Umpires cant interpret the rules.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So just out of interest, when would be the appropriate time for a (this) coach to be replaced? You might also remember that my suggestion was also predicated on the possible recruitment of a premiership winning coach (who don't just become available whenever you want to pursue a new leader).
Buckley will coach Collingwood in 2021. If we don’t win the premiership that will be ten winless years as coach. That should be the end unfortunately.

So just out of interest, when would be the appropriate time for a (this) coach to be replaced? You might also remember that my suggestion was also predicated on the possible recruitment of a premiership winning coach (who don't just become available whenever you want to pursue a new leader).

Other than Salty & Matthews there haven't been any recent examples of a coach winning a flag at 2 clubs. I will also use the examples of Salty and Pagan to the Blues as counterexamples of how appointing ready made can go wrong.

Just like players they have a limited career and in time they seem to eventually burn out or lose the hunger to keep up with the latest game plans. Clubs hold on to them when they are at their peak and let them go when the message gets stale or the mountain has already been climbed.

When the club appoints a new head coach I'd hope they will also consider the younger guys with a desire to prove themselves. Caracella, Longmuir etc

Other than Salty & Matthews there haven't been any recent examples of a coach winning a flag at 2 clubs. I will also use the examples of Salty and Pagan to the Blues as counterexamples of how appointing ready made can go wrong.

Just like players they have a limited career and in time they seem to eventually burn out or lose the hunger to keep up with the latest game plans. Clubs hold on to them when they are at their peak and let them go when the message gets stale or the mountain has already been climbed.

When the club appoints a new head coach I'd hope they will also consider the younger guys with a desire to prove themselves. Caracella, Longmuir etc

Also interesting is Scott, who won a Flag in his first year, and Geel has not appeared in a GF since.
Some would argue that finals appearances are enough for him to keep coaching into his eleventh year. I would ask how long does the credit for a flag last, particularly given his record of finals is flattered by a massive HG advantage guaranteeing 8-9 games in the bank at the start of every season?

Then we have Hinkley who was appointed in 2013, made PF in 2014, then missed finals 4/5 years since.

How does Buckley stand up against these with around the same tenure - I'd say pretty well.

We have regenerated our list while Geel has topped up and has a number of stars due to retire - these are once in a generation players, who can't be replaced.
PA - have also rebuilt but is Hinkley the man to take them to the ultimate?

So its highly likely PA and Geel will back these coaches to continue - but are they deserving more than Buckley?

The administrations know the answers - but if up to the supporters I'd say they would not survive.

Last edited:
Also interesting is Scott, who won a Flag in his first year, and Geel has not appeared in a GF since.
Some would argue that finals appearances are enough for him to keep coaching into his eleventh year. I would ask how long does the credit for a flag last, particularly given his record of finals is flattered by a massive HG advantage guaranteeing 8-9 games in the bank at the start of every season?

Then we have Hinkley who was appointed in 2013, made PF in 2014, then missed finals 4/5 years since.

How does Buckley stand up against these with around the same tenure - I'd say pretty well.

We have regenerated our list while Geel has topped up and has a number of stars due to retire - these are once in a generation players, who can't be replaced.

So its highly likely PA and Geel will back these coaches to continue - but are they deserving more than Buckley?

The administrations know the answers - but if up to the supporters I'd say they would not survive.

So....still no answer then??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And they get louder....
Have to hand it to him. Only a genius could have a deliberate gameplan this bad and con the entire AFL media into thinking he is somehow great.

So....still no answer then??

i think I’ve made it clear, from the post above, many BF supporters want Buckley gone. His last 2 years have been very good, Scott and Hinkley are safe despite worse records.
So Buckley deserves to see out his contract.
I’m not going to speculate on Clarko, because I don’t think he’s leaving Haw at this point.
If memory serves he maybe out of contract at the same time as Buckley, so there will be huge pressure on Buckley to perform given Clarko could be viable an option at that time.

Time is up.
there’s never been a coach in the history of the game who doesn’t like scoring.
handballing circle work is all we do.

I'm completely done with him now. Was hoping he'd get sacked as part of the 2017 review, but was sadly disappointed. Thought the 2018 GF appearance was a fluke. Imagine if we'd won that and were here now. Bucks would have gotten a 10 year extension, lol.

Anyone would be better. Go after Mitchell, or Caracella, or anyone. ANYONE

It's official Spin Doctor. Your mate Bucks is the worst coach in the AFL, the administration btw have no idea what the answer is. You either work for the club and are trying to save your job or have no idea. please go away from this forum

In the early days it was “this isn’t his team” as an excuse for the failures.
Then it was “he is rebuilding the team”.
Im not sure what it is now except for ”we made a granny”.

It is so hard to watch us play this game. And I’ve been on about this for years, why is a player, turned coach, who was renowned for his skill by foot and hand, overseeing such a poorly skilled team.
This is now “his team”.
This is now a team coached to his standards.
There are no more excuses.
Win or lose tonight, this isn’t the Collingwood we expected after almost a decade under one man.

It's official Spin Doctor. Your mate Bucks is the worst coach in the AFL, the administration btw have no idea what the answer is. You either work for the club and are trying to save your job or have no idea. please go away from this forum

Happy for you to challenge my facts or logic - no need for you to be disparaging because you chose to do neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back