Remove this Banner Ad

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ask Alastair Clarkson :

Hawthorn champion Jarryd Roughead has vowed to fight his way back into the senior team after being dropped for round eight in a selection bombshell.

The four-time premiership player and former captain will line up with the Box Hill Hawks in an attempt to regain his spot and add to his tally of 281 AFL games.

The 32-year-old told Channel Seven he accepted coach Alastair Clarkson's call to drop him for the first time since he became a regular fixture in the Hawks' golden era and he would knuckle down to win his position back.

"When I had the discussions with 'Clarko' all the way back to August last year I knew that my form and the team's form were probably going to decide where I was going to be playing," Roughead said.

"Obviously the form hasn't stacked up to where it needs to be the last couple of weeks. So I go back to Box Hill and see what happens from there on."

Ask Alastair Clarkson :

Hawthorn champion Jarryd Roughead has vowed to fight his way back into the senior team after being dropped for round eight in a selection bombshell.

The four-time premiership player and former captain will line up with the Box Hill Hawks in an attempt to regain his spot and add to his tally of 281 AFL games.

The 32-year-old told Channel Seven he accepted coach Alastair Clarkson's call to drop him for the first time since he became a regular fixture in the Hawks' golden era and he would knuckle down to win his position back.

"When I had the discussions with 'Clarko' all the way back to August last year I knew that my form and the team's form were probably going to decide where I was going to be playing," Roughead said.

"Obviously the form hasn't stacked up to where it needs to be the last couple of weeks. So I go back to Box Hill and see what happens from there on."

Never going to happen under the Brad Scott Boys Club

Read a twitter exchange about this last night - should a club look after its premiership players better than Clarkson does, or is this ruthlessness the reason Hawthorn has so many premiership players?

Realistically at his age the club has looked after Roughead. Not that he hasn't given plenty as well. Looking back at the last few years it is abundantly clear that this team has a huge issue with identifying the standards expected from each individual player and demanding them. In the long run, this doesn't benefit the player or the team. We are just way too conservative and treat so many players as untouchable.

FWIW I don't think it's really that ruthless. What worries me the most is that it might not be our ruthlessness that is the problem - what if it is our ability to actually identify what players are contributing to the whole that is the problem? What if they're not dropping poorly performing players, not because of a lack of willpower, but a lack of actually being able to assess their contribution? That's an even bigger worry.

Recall the enormous sooking when we showed Boomer, Dish and Spud the door.

Yep. Even though none of those from an age and list profile point of view was that outrageous. Boomer was playing decent footy still but was it really that big a shock? He had definitely started slowing down - I wouldn't be adverse to having had him in a pocket but it wasn't that big a call.

More importantly are all the calls within a year where players are just never rotated unless they are on the fringes. That's okay when you're a key position and going well but not blazing (say Brown, Tarrant, Goldy) but we often treat the 22nd picked player as if they are a key part of the team's ability to successfully run through the banner - I just can't buy it. I just can't buy that a team in our position, this week, can't easily find 4-5+ potential players that could be replaced with a fit replacement. It particularly annoys me when we suffer an injury to these journeymen players and the replacement clearly doesn't struggle to provide adequate cover and often does more. The way we stuffed around Daw in 2016 while gifting games to Petrie - a bloody well loved gentleman of the club - was wrong. We weren't looking to the future even though the season was falling down the toilet. Not good enough.

Last edited:
He doesn't deserve a game in current form. We did the same with ex-captain Swallow. And of course the forced exits of Drew/Spud/Boomer plus losses of NDS and Wells.

Waite could have gone on another season, and probably a better player than Roughead right now. But we timed his exit to give Larkey and Wood room to grow.

Is it really that hard of a decision to drop a 32yo after an 8 possession game? Scott dropped Hall after a better game than that.

How many games did Hodge miss after getting done for drink driving?

Is it really that hard of a decision to drop a 32yo after an 8 possession game? Scott dropped Hall after a better game than that.

How many games did Hodge miss after getting done for drink driving?

To be fair though, Scott also didn't drop Boomer after a 4 possession game from memory, not that I think it was the wrong decision but still...

I believe it was a 5 possession game against St. Kilda? Clinton Jones went to him and completely took him out of the game.

The next week however he had 44 possessions, 11 marks, 3 tackles and kicked 1.3 against the Eagles. It was also the game where he kicked the point of the year lol.
https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2010/3/nmfc-v-wce

Realistically at his age the club has looked after Roughead. Not that he hasn't given plenty as well. Looking back at the last few years it is abundantly clear that this team has a huge issue with identifying the standards expected from each individual player and demanding them. In the long run, this doesn't benefit the player or the team. We are just way too conservative and treat so many players as untouchable.

FWIW I don't think it's really that ruthless. What worries me the most is that it might not be our ruthlessness that is the problem - what if it is our ability to actually identify what players are contributing to the whole that is the problem? What if they're not dropping poorly performing players, not because of a lack of willpower, but a lack of actually being able to assess their contribution? That's an even bigger worry.

It's obviously limited from afar but I feel like they do pick up on underperformance in that the blokes we are critical off tend to get named on the bench but that's usually as far as it goes.

According to Rough they started discussions in August last year....so no revelation and probably a conversation that is had with most functional clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the honesty between Clarko and his senior players is the difference. They know where they stand and they know that he will drop them if their form warrants and they know to look for a trade option when their future at the club is uncertain. None of that appears to apply at NMFC.

On a related note, it was interesting to see the Open Mike ep during the week with David Dench where he talked about the time when Barry Cable wanted to send him back to the reserves due to poor form. He told Cable to stick it up his arse, he retired that night and has not spoken to Cable since. Dench was a childhood hero of mine and I still love him, but that is one almighty dummy spit right there. Full respect to Roughhead for taking his omission with such grace. And again, credit to Clarko for preparing Roughy for the inevitable.

Last edited:
Clarkson's misunderstood and the Roughead omission highlights it. People pass it off as ruthlessness. Nothing further from the truth. It's about merit and integrity.. Players know instinctively who's pulling their weight and who's not and all they expect is that the coach will spot the difference and enforce it. We lack that and we suffer as a consequence. The most galling thing is that he's kin.

It is disturbing how far off the mark we were.

We could win every game for the rest of the year, and you would still have to address the scenario as to how a 10 year coach who built this list, managed to enter an AFL season with that level of understanding and preparation.

If you cannot enter a season with your team prepared, then you are simply not fit to be an AFL coach.

To accept anything less is a gross disservice to the NMFC.

We could win every game for the rest of the year, and you would still have to address the scenario as to how a 10 year coach who built this list, managed to enter an AFL season with that level of understanding and preparation.

If you cannot enter a season with your team prepared, then you are simply not fit to be an AFL coach.

It's disturbing how the coach can sit in front of the media, be so comfortable to say "I had no idea about how the rule changes would work and that's why the season is shot by the end of April" and not expect any one of his employers to be flabbergasted by that. Speaks volumes of his coaching, speaks volumes of his employers' standards.

It's disturbing how the coach can sit in front of the media, be so comfortable to say "I had no idea about how the rule changes would work and that's why the season is shot by the end of April" and not expect any one of his employers to be flabbergasted by that. Speaks volumes of his coaching, speaks volumes of his employers' standards.

This is the thing. If this is just viewed as a "hiccup" then we are in very deep s**t.

Did you see Thursdays presser? He's carrying on as if we're entrenched in the top 4 and he doesn't have a care in the world.

Just watch his response to "can you cause an upset".

He acknowledges that winning would actually be an upset, rather than exuding the notion that there is an expectation to win. There is no single-mindedness to his resolve, or any hint of the focus that comes with a ruthless mindset.

True. However, in no way was Scott on his lonesome. I’d argue that Goodwin, Pyke, Worsfold, Simpson and Longmire were similarly guilty. Simpson has the excuse of a premiership hangover, at least.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

True. However, in no way was Scott on his lonesome. I’d argue that Goodwin, Pyke, Worsfold, Simpson and Longmire were similarly guilty. Simpson has the excuse of a premiership hangover, at least.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

2016 is the only year of Brad's entire tenure we've won round 1.

Once.

Weve won it once in 10 seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back