Opinion What have you always wanted the AFL to introduce that would benefit the competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nine points for a goal outside 50. You have an arc and you're not utilising it, which is beyond ridiculous and amateurish. My basketball mate cannot understand why you have a line across the field and I say to him "it's all for aesthetics".

The rule for out of bounds being similar to basketball's rule. ie the ball is only out once it hits the ground, object or a player who is out of bounds.

This would make it way easier for boundary umpires to judge when the ball is out as they could if a players foot is over the line. Its practically impossible for boundary umpire to determine from a distance if an oblong ball has crossed a curverd vertical plane.

Would also see players launching from the field of play to try and keep the ball alive before it hits the ground.

Nine points for a goal outside 50. You have an arc and you're not utilising it, which is beyond ridiculous and amateurish. My basketball mate cannot understand why you have a line across the field and I say to him "it's all for aesthetics".

It helps the umpire measure stuff as well (like 50m penalties) because unlike US football and Rugby we dont have line markings making that job easy, and it's useful for the 6/6/6 rule.

I'd like 2 less players on the ground, and 2 more on the interchange.

That and a fair draw (each side plays each other once, H&A rotate annually).

Lowering the salary cap floor to 80%. That way the bad teams are not paying their list almost the same as the top teams and it means the bad teams can actually build a proper war chest to go after really good players. It would help bottom teams bounce back a lot faster.
But get rid of priority picks as well if you do this.

no tanking and the league has the best players.

This is something that has always annoyed me. Far too many spots on AFL team lists occupied by kids who may or may not turn out to be good players. I've seen many good players in the SANFL aged 22-25 who really should have been playing AFL.

If it were a true sporting competition that would be a wonderful thing, but as AFL is a multi billion dollar industry, that's not going to happen.
We all know how much money is the absolute decider of the afl

well except when we had two states covid free and able to have crowds and the afl chose the state that isnt interested in footy.

If it were a true sporting competition that would be a wonderful thing, but as AFL is a multi billion dollar industry, that's not going to happen.
Yep, keeping the money is the reason.
And if it were a world leading sport, it wouldn't happen because making more money would be the reason.
And if the AFL was a broke on its arse industry, it wasn't going to happen because needing the money is the reason.

Yet somehow all these other world sports find a way to be fair in its fixturing.

Its an Australian (aka Victorian **** measuring contest) thing. Because "our comp is different".

And you're right. It wont change.
But that wasnt the question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) A home & away fixture that is actually home & away. Would most likely require a 13 team comp or a two tier relegation setup.

2) A constitution put in place that prevents flippant rule changes for the betterment of the game. Allow the sport to naturally adapt to the fixed interpretations as time rolls on as opposed to rules interpretations differing on a weekly basis in the interest of 'aesthetics'.

Last edited:
Better contract/salary cap rules like the NBA. No soft cap with tax, but guys like Lever, Boyd, Scully being bought with huge contracts is a joke. Max contract for any player in a 40 player per list, $13m cap comp should be about $1-1.5m a year.

If you sign a 5 year, $500k a year deal that is what you get unless you choose to retire. If a team comes along after a year and wants to trade for you, they trade for that contract. No Brad Hills chasing extra money while under contract. No Jon Pattons (who was a salary dump and reportedly on big money for this year) renegotiating. St Kilda would've traded for Hill's remaining 2/3 years, Hawthorn would've got Patton's say $750k in this year's cap and from 2021 is a new deal. A pre-agent (Shiel, Wingard etc) should still become a free agent when their 8 years are up.

Glass boxes/podiums in one of the rooms at the MCG. Where we can put the players on display for the public

10 day contracts. It’s time the AFL introduced it.

A club can sign a player ANYTIME during the season. Rather then waiting for the mid-season draft, club’s should have the ability to sign a player right on the spot.

Any player(s) who are signed to a 10 day contract, their pay should be part of the salary cap.

If a team is happy with how that player is performing after their 10 days is up, that team can then sign that player for the remainder of the season.

Return to 12 clubs. Locate by geography.

2 WA, 2 SA, 2 Qld, 2 NSW. 3 vic, 1 tas.

whoever finishes last plays the premier of that state for promotion/relegation.

equitable draw, no tanking and the league has the best players.

Or by support...

2 WA, 2 SA, 6 Vic, 1 QLD, 1 NSW (with the last 2 I being generous in order to help expansion).

You can have promotion/relegation, but we should probably agree to adjust the state balance every, 10 years(?) so if/when the game expands in NSW/QLD, they can take over the 2nd SA slot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back