Opinion What if your "least favourite" Crows player played well in the Finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
A change of pace from all the serious analysis. What if "insert your least favourite Crows player", started playing well starting this week against Geelong round 11, all the way into the Finals. Let's double up, and ask what if, this particular player actually helped us win the Grand Final and won the Norm Smith medal?

Question would be....what would you then do? Eat your words and start sending apology letters to that player? Change your viewpoint from next year onwards? Go seek counseling just to do a reality check? Run around Adelaide Oval naked?

A change of pace from all the serious analysis. What if "insert your least favourite Crows player", started playing well starting this week against Geelong round 11, all the way into the Finals. Let's double up, and ask what if, this particular player actually helped us win the Grand Final and won the Norm Smith medal?

Question would be....what would you then do? Eat your words and start sending apology letters to that player? Change your viewpoint from next year onwards? Go seek counseling just to do a reality check? Run around Adelaide Oval naked?

A change of pace? This isn't even a thinly disguised extension of your idiotic thread wondering why posters don't think Mackay is much chop. FFS let it go, he's just s**t and if he plays well, it won't last long, it's been the same s**t over and over for years.

Yeah, no doubt this is another Mackay related thread okay I'll bite.
If Mackay somehow did pull another Hawks type game and drag us over the line in a final I would be very happy for him and the team. In fact I recall defending him in another thread concerning that game when people were knocking him for the rest of his game. As for eating my words I wouldn't do that because I believe my words against his continual selection despite any good performances are completely justified so if he pulls out a blinder in a final (which I highly doubt) it still doesn't detract away from the fact that he shouldn't have been picked for many other games; it would only set a standard to which a player of his experience should be able to live up to far more often. If Mackay could even do a Hawks game 1 in 4 games and the rest an acceptable 20 possessions for the rest I wouldn't be on his case so much but it never seems to happen.

I'd go sell that Brooklyn bridge I'd purchased for huge profit.

We as a club need to get away from the idea that finals performances are something you can just fluke, and aren't the result of your processes and performances at all other times.

'97, and '98, whilst brilliant, were also in the long term harmful to our club. For some reason we think we're going to reap Blight miracles without the genius of Blight.

If David Mackay kicked four in a GF, I'd expect that the next time I logged onto the Adelaide board, it would have been reduced to a smoking ruin, with those Hiroshima type shadows of various well-known posters burned onto the screen.

A change of pace? This isn't even a thinly disguised extension of your idiotic thread wondering why posters don't think Mackay is much chop. FFS let it go, he's just s**t and if he plays well, it won't last long, it's been the same s**t over and over for years.

You can have your say, and I can have mine. This ain't a Mackay thread. Some people can dislike the Crouch Bros, others dislike Milera/Hampton/Atkins/Jenkins etc. Be more open-minded please. If you don't like the thread, just ignore it Mr!

I need to also add that I'm not a Mackay lover. Just don't hate him either. I understand the negative sentiments regarding him. I was just making the point that it's a bit over the top and there must be intangible reasons others can't see that the Coaches can. And I repeat, this ain't a Mackay thread!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1wWILd.jpg

Anyone who puts their hatred of a player over the ultimate success has the brains of a tadpole.

Single handedly win a premiership for the team and you're forgiven imo.

Before 97 it was Shane who? Now etched in folklore history. Might have done nothing in any other game he ever played... but it matters nought.

I was actually thinking the same this morning. Shane Ellen, in case anyone didn't know, or have forgotten. He was real good on that day. Actually kicked 5 goals. Not bad eh? ...Anyone recall any other great games from Ellen?

I'd go sell that Brooklyn bridge I'd purchased for huge profit.

We as a club need to get away from the idea that finals performances are something you can just fluke, and aren't the result of your processes and performances at all other times.

'97, and '98, whilst brilliant, were also in the long term harmful to our club. For some reason we think we're going to reap Blight miracles without the genius of Blight.
this is a pretty good point actually.

we all like to joke about the "make the 8 and anything can happen" approach of the club, but its not wonder is it. Kind of obvious when you think about it but I haven't really noticed anyone join the dots like that. Duh-doy

I was actually thinking the same this morning. Shane Ellen, in case anyone didn't know, or have forgotten. He was real good on that day. Actually kicked 5 goals. Not bad eh? ...Anyone recall any other great games from Ellen?
please don't tell me you actually think this is a decent argument in defense of Mackay?

This is the dumbest thread ever.

If a player i dont like because they were s**t started playing well i would stop disliking them because they are no longer s**t.

This thread though? Its got less chance of not being s**t than dmack

That would be a fantastic opportunity for him to retire and bow out on a high.
Would be a fantasic opportunity to trade him for a first round pick...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back