What is the senior coach responsible for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Damo80

Premiership Player
Jul 11, 2011
Latrobe Valley
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Might seem a question with an obvious answer, yet seemingly week after week I am reading arguments that pretty much go like this:

Poster A: Dimma has no idea/no plan B, isn't up to it, need to be sacked!

Poster B: Dimma can't get out there and kick the ball for them/run for them/execute the game plan for them. He led us to 15 wins last season... it's the players who need a rocket.

I can see merit in both arguments, and will contribute my thoughts, but wanted to throw it out there for people to actually consider exactly what they hold the senior coach accountable for, and what they don't...

Might seem a question with an obvious answer, yet seemingly week after week I am reading arguments that pretty much go like this:

Poster A: Dimma has no idea/no plan B, isn't up to it, need to be sacked!

Poster B: Dimma can't get out there and kick the ball for them/run for them/execute the game plan for them. He led us to 15 wins last season... it's the players who need a rocket.

I can see merit in both arguments, and will contribute my thoughts, but wanted to throw it out there for people to actually consider exactly what they hold the senior coach accountable for, and what they don't...
With the professionalism in the game I feel AFL coaches are becoming more like soccer managers, responsible for the week long preparations and coordinating the assistants (with the exception of James Hird who was responsible for coordinating the drug program), responsible for the game plan yes, but relying on a team effort to implement it.
I will again say that I agree with Leigh Matthews, 95% preparation and 5% game day.

The buck stops with a senior coach.

He has final say on everything. Of confidence is down and players are out of form, part of his responsibility is to get them back in form and confident.

The list reflects the ideals of a senior coach.

We have a list full of battlers and our best players are restricted in expressing themselves due to directions from the coach. Jack being a decoy as a prime example.

At the end of the day, the buck stops with the senior coach.

The buck stops with a senior coach.

He has final say on everything. Of confidence is down and players are out of form, part of his responsibility is to get them back in form and confident.

The list reflects the ideals of a senior coach.

We have a list full of battlers and our best players are restricted in expressing themselves due to directions from the coach. Jack being a decoy as a prime example.

No argument that the buck stops with the AFL coach, the soccer manager and the cricket captain, but is that really the same as where does the resposibility lie?

No argument that the buck stops with the AFL coach, the soccer manager and the cricket captain, but is that really the same as where does the resposibility lie?

So the buck stops with him but responsibility lies elsewhere? Interesting.

Look at the end of the day, Hardwick signs off on almost everything. The recruiting, the coaching staff, the game plan, the fitness team and the training etc

If responsibility doesn't fall on him, then who?

So the buck stops with him but responsibility lies elsewhere? Interesting.

Look at the end of the day, Hardwick signs off on almost everything. The recruiting, the coaching staff, the game plan, the fitness team and the training etc

If responsibility doesn't fall on him, then who?
Buck stops, responsibility shared. Simple really.

So we either keep everyone or sack everyone.

No inbetween.
I'd prefer we sack no one now, but in reality the coach will be the one sacked, we agree that the buck stops with him.
Look, we are probably only arguing semantics on this as we appear to have taken adversarial positions.
Managers, Captains and Coaches are always the fall guys.

I'd prefer we sack no one now, but in reality the coach will be the one sacked, we agree that the buck stops with him.
Look, we are probably only arguing semantics on this as we appear to have taken adversarial positions.

Players might not be "sacked", but plenty of them don't get their contract re-newed.

Players might not be "sacked", but plenty of them don't get their contract re-newed.
Oh I agree, was more talking about coach, assistants, admin, fitness staff, recruiting etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. While I get that Dimma can't get out there and execute the skills of the game for individual players, what he must take responsibility for is the general way in which HIS side is playing. Which for the best post of season 2014 has been abysmal.

The game plan - Dimma's game plan - is either crap, or hasn't been communicated well enough to players, or hasn't been understood/bought into by players. They're playing scared, confused, listless football that has us equal last the comp. This falls on Dimma's shoulders.

The players have largely played without passion and spirit. This falls on Dimma's shoulders.

There doesn't seem to be a standard set for the basics... effort and intensity should be a non-negotiable, yet seemingly players keep their spot in the side with little threat of their place for not doing the basics. Just look at sides like Melbourne and Port with new coaches drilling the basics of footy and seeing clear improvement. This falls on Dimma's shoulders.

It's worrying when Cotchin handpasses to Dea, then calls for the cheap follow up possession, rather than shepparding, which would've given Dea all the time in the world to assess options and deliver with time and space... from our captain who should be showing the way, it's indicative of where we're at, and ultimately falls on Dimma's shoulders.

It's worrying when you hear players who've left to another club voice how much harder they have to work at their new club. This falls on Dimma's shoulders.

So, Dimma can't get out on the ground and do it for them, but it's on his shoulder to have a game plan that works, that he can get the players to execute with a level of confidence competence, to set the minimum standard on the track and on game day, and ultimately to get the results.

That's my $0.02, anyway :)

I agree. While I get that Dimma can't get out there and execute the skills of the game for individual players, what he must take responsibility for is the general way in which HIS side is playing. Which for the best post of season 2014 has been abysmal.

The game plan - Dimma's game plan - is either crap, or hasn't been communicated well enough to players, or hasn't been understood/bought into by players. They're playing scared, confused, listless football that has us equal last the comp. This falls on Dimma's shoulders.

The players have largely played without passion and spirit. This falls on Dimma's shoulders.

There doesn't seem to be a standard set for the basics... effort and intensity should be a non-negotiable, yet seemingly players keep their spot in the side with little threat of their place for not doing the basics. Just look at sides like Melbourne and Port with new coaches drilling the basics of footy and seeing clear improvement. This falls on Dimma's shoulders.

It's worrying when Cotchin handpasses to Dea, then calls for the cheap follow up possession, rather than shepparding, which would've given Dea all the time in the world to assess options and deliver with time and space... from our captain who should be showing the way, it's indicative of where we're at, and ultimately falls on Dimma's shoulders.

It's worrying when you hear players who've left to another club voice how much harder they have to work at their new club. This falls on Dimma's shoulders.

So, Dimma can't get out on the ground and do it for them, but it's on his shoulder to have a game plan that works, that he can get the players to execute with a level of confidence competence, to set the minimum standard on the track and on game day, and ultimately to get the results.

Wonderfully said. Spot on.

Shaping the list -List management/General Manager of Football?
Developing players -Development coaches(4)/Player Development Manager/Coaching & Football Performance Manager
Creating a game plan -Senior coach, with a tick of approval from the General Manager of Football, CEO, and the board with assistants advising?
Ensuring that game plan is executed correctly -Defensive/Mid stoppage/mid spread/forwards coaches?
Recruiting -Recruitment Manager/officers(3)/List management/General Manager of Football?

Would love to know what responsibility the senior coach has, Id think alot whats being blamed on Hardwick around here probably isnt his fault, theres alot of people on our payroll in the football department.
Probably facepalmed at giving up round 2 pick for Hampson lol.

Shaping the list
Developing players
Creating a game plan
Ensuring that game plan is executed correctly
To some extent, al of these.
However - once you get to elite professional level, where so much depends on what is going on inside an athletes head, IMO the biggest responsibility for a senior coach is to motivate, energise, inspire, bring a group together as one, encourage and above all else lead.

Like Mickey Arthur? like Mark Neeld ? Like Terry Wallace?

Wonderfully said , absolutely spot on

Shaping the list -List management/General Manager of Football?
Developing players -Development coaches(4)/Player Development Manager/Coaching & Football Performance Manager
Creating a game plan -Senior coach, with a tick of approval from the General Manager of Football, CEO, and the board with assistants advising?
Ensuring that game plan is executed correctly -Defensive/Mid stoppage/mid spread/forwards coaches?
Recruiting -Recruitment Manager/officers(3)/List management/General Manager of Football?

Would love to know what responsibility the senior coach has, Id think alot whats being blamed on Hardwick around here probably isnt his fault, theres alot of people on our payroll in the football department.
Probably facepalmed at giving up round 2 pick for Hampson lol.
I know Hamspson continually getting picked has fractured the playing group and split opinions pretty strongly amongst the coaching group but don't you believe the performance of his assistants is his responsibilty ? and re uniting the group. A step in the right direction is to reward Big O with at least one game for bleeding for the jumper at VFL level and hand Hampson over to our new development coach in Max Bailey for a few weeks. Would anyone think that was a responsibility of a coach considering the season Hammer is having. He's actually got worse than when he was at Carlton is that even possible ?

I know Hamspson continually getting picked has fractured the playing group and split opinions pretty strongly amongst the coaching group but don't you believe the performance of his assistants is his responsibilty ? and re uniting the group.
A step in the right direction is to reward Big O with at least one game for bleeding for the jumper at VFL level and hand Hampson over to our new development coach in Max Bailey for a few weeks. Would anyone think that was a responsibility of a coach considering the season Hammer is having. He's actually got worse than when he was at Carlton is that even possible ?

No I believe the performance of his assistants is the responsibility of the Coaching & Football Performance Manager.
And meh..Hampson's probably too busy with the ruck coach...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back