Analysis What list is in the worst state?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wtf is this post? We've won our last 3 games on the back of good performances from our youngsters and we're absolutely loaded with draft picks. I'd rather be a Crows fan than barrack for North or Hawthorn right now. I can tell you don't know what you're talking about too because you rate Fogarty when out of all our younger guys, he's probably had the weakest performances. The best youngsters at Adelaide are Schoenberg and Sholl. Fogarty would be close to the trade/delist pile if he doesn't pull his finger out soon.

I like Hamill.

May 31, 2019
Belmont, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Perth Glory, Everton FC, SSC Napoli
The last team I’d want to be right now is Essendon... because they are still 2 years off realising this group is no good... then the bottoming out.. going to draft.. then 5 years minnimum from there until a chance of finals.
Absolute no hope of winning a final before 2028
They will probably steal Dimma & Leppitsch from us to go with Rutton & Carracella and still wouldn't be able to copy our game plan with that list.

Kangas_11

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2013
Toronto
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Colts, Raptors, Milan, FU Crabs
Wtf is this post? We've won our last 3 games on the back of good performances from our youngsters and we're absolutely loaded with draft picks. I'd rather be a Crows fan than barrack for North or Hawthorn right now. I can tell you don't know what you're talking about too because you rate Fogarty when out of all our younger guys, he's probably had the weakest performances. The best youngsters at Adelaide are Schoenberg and Sholl. Fogarty would be close to the trade/delist pile if he doesn't pull his finger out soon.
In the time since the last Crows rising star nomination, North have had 5 noms.

You also have pick 1 and 9 in the upcoming draft, North have 2 and 10.

I get that Schoenberg and Sholl have looked decent the last few weeks, but I'd still comfortably rate the young talent coming through at North ahead of the crows at the moment.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
St Kilda kinda has rebuilt its list just with nailing draft picks from 2016 onwards,

Battle, Long, Marshall, Coffield, Clark, Paton, King, Wilke were all drafted in the 2016 to 2018 drafts with also players getting traded in to compensate for our very bad drafting from 2010 - 2015.
Well.... You can de excused for not getting any early picks in 2010-12. Gold coast had 9 of the 1st 15 picks in 2010. Also saints made the grand final. So even if the suns didnt exist in 2010, your 1st pick would of been pick 15 anyway.

2011, GWS had 9 of the 1st 15 picks.

2012, Saints finished 9th. Saints traded pick 12 for tom Lee, pick 24 and 45. Saints had 6 picks in 2012. All were gone. Funny thing is the player that has lasted the longest in 2012 came through a trade in Tim Membrey.

2013 was an ok trade and draft period.

Pick 3: Jack Billlings (Still on the list)
Pick 18: Luke Dunstan (Still on the list)
Pick 19: Blake Acres

traded Ben McEvoy for Pick 18 (Dunstan) and Shane Savage, who is still on the saints list.

Traded picks 24 and 59 for the hawks pick 19 (Acres)

traded pick 48 for Luke Bruest.

Billiings and Dunstan were 18-19 year olds in that 2013 draft. Now should be 25-26 years old.

Not the best haul but far from horrible.

2014 wasnt too bad....

Pick 1: Patrick McCartin
Pick 21: Hugh Goddard
Pick 22: Daniel McKenzie (Still on the list)
Pick 41: Jack Leonie (Still on the list)

And you got Jack Sinclair (Still on the list) as a rookie pick.

Pat McCartin was injury prone. Goddard didnt develop as well as the saints hoped.

McKenzie, Leonie and Sinclair were 18-19 years old in 2014 should be 24-25 now.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well.... You can de excused for not getting any early picks in 2010-12. Gold coast had 9 of the 1st 15 picks in 2010. Also saints made the grand final. So even if the suns didnt exist in 2010, your 1st pick would of been pick 15 anyway.

2011, GWS had 9 of the 1st 15 picks.

2012, Saints finished 9th. Saints traded pick 12 for tom Lee, pick 24 and 45. Saints had 6 picks in 2012. All were gone. Funny thing is the player that has lasted the longest in 2012 came through a trade in Tim Membrey.

2013 was an ok trade and draft period.

Pick 3: Jack Billlings (Still on the list)
Pick 18: Luke Dunstan (Still on the list)
Pick 19: Blake Acres

traded Ben McEvoy for Pick 18 (Dunstan) and Shane Savage, who is still on the saints list.

Traded picks 24 and 59 for the hawks pick 19 (Acres)

traded pick 48 for Luke Bruest.

Billiings and Dunstan were 18-19 year olds in that 2013 draft. Now should be 25-26 years old.

Not the best haul but far from horrible.

2014 wasnt too bad....

Pick 1: Patrick McCartin
Pick 21: Hugh Goddard
Pick 22: Daniel McKenzie (Still on the list)
Pick 41: Jack Leonie (Still on the list)

And you got Jack Sinclair (Still on the list) as a rookie pick.

Pat McCartin was injury prone. Goddard didnt develop as well as the saints hoped.

McKenzie, Leonie and Sinclair were 18-19 years old in 2014 should be 24-25 now.
I'd say its been good overall drafting bar the Petracca miss. They hit that and it's hard to really complain.
Unfortunately they missed and it's incredibly significant.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I'd say its been good overall drafting bar the Petracca miss. They hit that and it's hard to really complain.
Unfortunately they missed and it's incredibly significant.
well the guys from that 2013 and 2014 draft are still on your list and playing regualr games such as Jack Billings. So yeah you blew early picks on McCartin and Goddard but still got a couple of 18 year olds that are still on the list that are in that prime 24-26 year old age.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
well the guys from that 2013 and 2014 draft are still on your list and playing regualr games such as Jack Billings. So yeah you blew early picks on McCartin and Goddard but still got a couple of 18 year olds that are still on the list that are in that prime 24-26 year old age.
They're no good really, Lonies ok.
Even if you bust those 21, 22 selections (Goddard, McKenzie) it doesn't matter if you hit Petracca.

2014 was the biggest investment in the draft and the worst mark.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Absolutely agree.

3-4 years ago I would have put the Cats in Group 1 alongside Sydney and the Hawks - make hay but watch out for the cliff. But, due to list decisions and player progression the three lists all sit in really different places now.

It’s not certain that the Pies and Eagles will fall off the cliff - that will be defined by what they’ve done at the trade/draft table over the last two years and what they do in the next two years.

Tim Kelly leaving saved the Cats.

Probably Hawthorns lucky like Sydney they are professionally run and that gives the club every chance to get thing right moving forward.

Make a string of good decisions and your club quickly bounces back. Only clubs who continue to make the same mistakes spend decades in mediocrity.

So my bet is on one of those stuffing up again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
When you delist 11 guys in one day and none of them are guaranteed a spot on another list, your list is cooked, like absolutely cooked. North have basically told the competition their list is shot.

The chances of anyone of worth or value would want to come to your club is greatly reduced.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
There are plenty of Melbourne players that wish they were Shaun Burgoyne...
I agree, but I’m not sure what that has to do with my post. It looks bad for Hawthorn because he’s way past it. Add in the fact McEvoy and Frost were voted into your top three MVP’s and your lack of younger players coming through and it’s a poor situation to be in.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Adelaide for sure. They are so far from being a good side again that you cant even see the light at the end of the tunnel atm. I couldnt even name you 1 young gun under 23 on their list. Maybe Fogarty, but that's still a big maybe right now.
Adelaide yes are the worst now but at least theyve bottomed out.

North still on the way down, rhys will not have a fun start to his career.

Hot Diggity

All Australian
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I agree, but I’m not sure what that has to do with my post. It looks bad for Hawthorn because he’s way past it. Add in the fact McEvoy and Frost were voted into your top three MVP’s and your lack of younger players coming through and it’s a poor situation to be in.
Oh for sure. List is dire. However, I actually agree with the Burgoyne re-signing. We have very little leadership, he will mentor some players on and off the park, and the Indigenous lads love him. More than just a list spot where Burgoyne is concerned.

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
When you delist 11 guys in one day and none of them are guaranteed a spot on another list, your list is cooked, like absolutely cooked. North have basically told the competition their list is shot.

The chances of anyone of worth or value would want to come to your club is greatly reduced.

But imagine the salary cap they have to go after GWS midfielders this draft season!

Agree though. Norths list is the worse by far.

Even their leading goalkicker wants out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back