Society/Culture What makes a man a man?

Remove this Banner Ad

Brian Close was 45 years old when he faced the might of the West Indies pace battery for almost 3 hours on his way to scratching out 20 runs.

He was a man.

View attachment 1033287
Yep.

I'm not saying women can't be as courageous as he was that day or as brave or anything, but if I wasn't prepared to go thru that I'd feel like less of a man.

And if another man piked something like that I might lose a little respect for them.

The answer to that is actually that you become "less" than a man, yes. In the eyes of females at least, based on studies done during the Vietnam war.

The attitudes of nurses towards those who had lost their genitals was to reduce them to a more childlike state, almost to "baby" them both in care and in how they addressed them, and yet maintained a more normal approach and paid far more attention during rehabilitation towards those otherwise wounded - even those who had lost limbs.

The next comparison to make would be to research how many nurses formed romantic attachments with those who were merely wounded, versus those who lost their genitals altogether.
Would that be something that really requires a research grant?

Last edited:
To have a goal and have the agency to genuinely attempt to achieve it. Sometimes you'll fail and accepting it as a learning experience is also part of the journey. Essentially to seek competence so you can execute your dreams.

Also having a strong moral foundation and the ability to defend ones self and family physically, though that falls under seeking competency.

Last edited:
The answer to that is actually that you become "less" than a man, yes. In the eyes of females at least, based on studies done during the Vietnam war.

The attitudes of nurses towards those who had lost their genitals was to reduce them to a more childlike state, almost to "baby" them both in care and in how they addressed them, and yet maintained a more normal approach and paid far more attention during rehabilitation towards those otherwise wounded - even those who had lost limbs.

The next comparison to make would be to research how many nurses formed romantic attachments with those who were merely wounded, versus those who lost their genitals altogether.
Would that be something that really requires a research grant?

That’s brutal as *, where can i find the studies?

Ignoring biology, I dont think there is an answer to the OPs question. Its more about if you are a man, what sort of man do you want to be and what defines you as a man.

Your values might be different to another's, and values that define you as a man can be shared by others, so they aren't exclusive to "being a man".

I've always felt strongly that being truthful, standing up for what you believe in, general goodwill, loyalty to those you care about are some important values that I want to define me as a man, and that I respect in another man. And strength, not physical strength, but strength as a person and as a character. That doesn't mean a man isn't vulnerable.

Having thought about things for a while, it's clear to me that the primary point of distinction is that real men spend a lot of time concerning themselves with the question of what constitutes a real man.

It's not a contemporary thing. Real men have always been a bit confused and concerned about their manliness.

The Romans for instance. Even as they slayed the Mediterranean and made it their own, there were frequent concerns that they'd taken too much (so to speak) from the Greeks.

Industrialisation caused a kerfuffle, too. Didn't 'real men' work a plough? Wouldn't shunting blokes into factories and cities rob them of their vitality? Fear not, we'll just create a new type of real man!

The proliferation of white-collar industries in the 20th century was yet another occasion for 'crisis'. After all, nothing especially blokey about bending for a bureaucratic and organisation hierarchy.

Among all of these changes, through the centuries, the one constant of manliness is this: the real man spends an inordinate amount of time being concerned with their own manliness, which makes us in this thread more John Wayne than the Duke himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s lighten it up a bit. The old ‘chores’ debate

OK men don’t do inside jobs because they do them badly either by design or incompetence.

BUT they can do them however badly.

Many women wouldn’t even dream of even learning how to do the outside jobs.
Probably see it as a chance to get some hot young tradesmen in to do them.

Imagine if we guys decided we were so bad at inside jobs we decided we need to get a hot young trades woman in to do them?

We can't help that women have impossibly high standards of hygiene.
bingo. This is the real answer. Its not that men dont pull their weight. Its the women want to do work that isnt needed to be done.

My wife wants to wash the bed linen every week. I think doing it once a year is sufficient.

my wife wants to hang all the laundry on the clothes line. Im happy to chuck it in the dryer.

my wife sweeps the floors every second night. I just turn on the robot vacuum.

my wife spends 3 hours baking bread. I buy bread from the bakery. It tastes way better then my wifes bread.

my wife irons and folds effing underwear. I dont even iron and fold my workshirts. All you need is one or two sprays of water and let natural body sweat do its work.

bingo. This is the real answer. Its not that men dont pull their weight. Its the women want to do work that isnt needed to be done.

My wife wants to wash the bed linen every week. I think doing it once a year is sufficient.

my wife wants to hang all the laundry on the clothes line. Im happy to chuck it in the dryer.

my wife irons and folds effing underwear. I dont even iron and fold my workshirts. All you need is one or two sprays of water and let natural body sweat do its work.
I was thinking more about them getting the shits with you for having a dump with door open or being sick in the sink. I fully support the weekly change of bed linen.

my wife spends 3 hours baking bread. I buy bread from the bakery. It tastes way better then my wifes bread.

‘Once a year. Whether it needs it or not’

Same with a dryer, but I won’t tumble dry a towel, it seems illogical and no one needs a particular towel in a hurry

We replaced our crappy iron just before lockdown. And it’s (new one) probably been used 6 times since - lockdown WfH

Last edited:
I was thinking more about them getting the shits with you for having a dump with door open or being sick in the sink. I fully support the weekly change of bed linen.

I remember the limbo club discussed peeing in the shower and one guy said a girlfriend suggested a shower together, then took a whiz while they were both in there.

Ah the limbo club (the bots are sure to find these words)

I remember the limbo club discussed peeing in the shower and one guy said a girlfriend suggested a shower together, then took a whiz while they were both in there.

Ah the limbo club (the bots are sure to find these words)

Was that same thread where another limboclubber revealed that, while living at home, he once 'caught the scent' of his mother on his bath towel? It was an intellectually eye-opening thread, that one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back