What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My prediction for the top five in tonight's Fox Footy's "The Greatest" countdown.

They are counting down the top five buzzer beaters.

1) Malcolm Blight: Round 5, 1976 v Carlton.

Known for his 75 metre kick, after the siren at Princes Park to kick the winning goal.

2) Tony Lockett: PF, 1996 v Essendon.

Not a winning goal, but the winning behind, kicked by Tony Lockett. His 60 metre kick after the siren sent the Swans through to their first Grand Final since relocating from South Melbourne.

3) Tom Hawkins: Round 19, 2012 v Hawthorn.
Another massive goal after the siren. The Geelong v Hawthorn rivalry was fierce. Going into the match, the Cats had won their previous seven matches against the Hawks, since the 2008 Grand Final. It finally looked like Hawthorn would end the Kennett Curse, but a brain fade by Paul Puopolo in the dying stages gave Geelong possession and set up Tom Hawkins to make a hero of himself, and he delivered.

4) Gary Buckenara: PF, 1987 v Melbourne.
It was Melbourne's first finals campaign in 23 years. Hawthorn were in the midst of their greatest era. There were only 22 seconds left when Michael Tuck kicked out from Full Back following a Melbourne behind. They Hawks were four points down. Chris Langford delivers the ball inside 50 and Buckenara was pushed in the back, earning himself a free kick. Just seconds later, as he was lining up for goal with the man on the mark standing 51 metres from the Hawks goal, a young Jim Stynes crosses over the mark and Buckenara is awarded a 15 metre penalty. The rest is history, and history that still haunts Melbourne to this day.

5) Billy Brownless: QF, 1994 v Footscray.
After a rock and roll season, Billy had been down and out and up and down, but on this night he was King of Geelong. Richard Osborne appeared to have kicked the winning goal, as 26 remained on the clock with the Bulldogs one point up. Billy had been well held all night by Danny Southern, but when David Mensch marked 60 metres out with just seconds remaining, Billy's eyes lit up. The rest is history, and the monkey was off Billy's back.

If they're going to show goals that weren't actually kicked after the siren, then I will just about put my house on Nick Davis being in the top five. Technically not a buzzer beater, but it's their countdown and if that's the criteria they are using, then he surely has to be top five.

If they're going to show goals that weren't actually kicked after the siren, then I will just about put my house on Nick Davis being in the top five. Technically not a buzzer beater, but it's their countdown and if that's the criteria they are using, then he surely has to be top five.
I reckon it should be included - it was the last kick of the game, so it wasn't like others where despite there being 4/5 seconds left there was another disposal involved.

My prediction for the top five in tonight's Fox Footy's "The Greatest" countdown.

Known for his 75 metre kick, after the siren at Princes Park to kick the winning goal.

Not a winning goal, but the winning behind, kicked by Tony Lockett. His 60 metre kick after the siren sent the Swans through to their first Grand Final since relocating from South Melbourne.

Another massive goal after the siren. The Geelong v Hawthorn rivalry was fierce. Going into the match, the Cats had won their previous seven matches against the Hawks, since the 2008 Grand Final. It finally looked like Hawthorn would end the Kennett Curse, but a brain fade by Paul Puopolo in the dying stages gave Geelong possession and set up Tom Hawkins to make a hero of himself, and he delivered.

It was Melbourne's first finals campaign in 23 years. Hawthorn were in the midst of their greatest era. There were only 22 seconds left when Michael Tuck kicked out from Full Back following a Melbourne behind. They Hawks were four points down. Chris Langford delivers the ball inside 50 and Buckenara was pushed in the back, earning himself a free kick. Just seconds later, as he was lining up for goal with the man on the mark standing 51 metres from the Hawks goal, a young Jim Stynes crosses over the mark and Buckenara is awarded a 15 metre penalty. The rest is history, and history that still haunts Melbourne to this day.

After a rock and roll season, Billy had been down and out and up and down, but on this night he was King of Geelong. Richard Osborne appeared to have kicked the winning goal, as 26 remained on the clock with the Bulldogs one point up. Billy had been well held all night by Danny Southern, but when David Mensch marked 60 metres out with just seconds remaining, Billy's eyes lit up. The rest is history, and the monkey was off Billy's back.
Super MacPherson to draw a game against Norf at the G in 87 needs a mention.

Good looking hound, long legs, must be an Australian Bulldog. The English Bulldog fraternity would be up in arms if true. Welcome to the AFL Caesar, may your reign of being the most important Bulldog last long.

No mate he is a British bulldog not an Aussie.

No mate he is a British bulldog not an Aussie.

He had very long legs for a young dog and his head seems to presently be well out of proportion. I'm going to want to see papers before I accept this, even then, I doubt I'll be inclined :D. Just in case you're part of the English Bulldog illuminati, Aussies are better, just as strong willed and powerful but much more athletic, much more representative of the modern day Bulldog footballer. Plus, it's well time we cast aside our attachments to our colonial overlords. Old Libba was an English, The Bont is an Aussie. Both great, love them both, especially Libba for how he re-invented himself when it looked like he was on the scrap heap, but surely we'd all be choosing The Bont in the modern game. It may not be too late to swap in a similarly looking Aussie, who happens to also be named Caesar.

The Buckenara one...couldn't handle that happenning to the dogs. Most devastating loss ever?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the western bulldogs are leading the afl on the injury ladder , followed by gws, syd
the dogs also lead the 'in game injuries'
It's been happening for 3 years now. Surely it's now gone past being a coincidence. As soon as we get a few back, we lose a couple more. Our depth takes a beating because of it.

Last edited:
It's been happening for 3 years now. Surely it's now gone past being a coincidence. As soon as we get a we back, we lose a couple more. Our depth takes a beating because of it.

not sure why , it is the strength and conditioning ? or just a coincidence ?, etihad surface?
Its beyond a joke
injuries cost us top 4 and should have the premiership, and this year possible top 4
the injuries to picken and libba cost us both games
St Kilda is at the bottom of the list ..... again

It has to be something to do with our game style. Be interesting to see now that other teams are trying to play our way if they start to incur injuries.

It's been happening for 3 years now. Surely it's now gone past being a coincidence. As soon as we get a few back, we lose a couple more. Our depth takes a beating because of it.
Our contested, frenetic, unpredictable gamestyle, coupled with playing a lot of our games on the worst surface in the AFL.

A lot of our veteran players are just fragile aswell.

Really depends what kind of injuries.

All injuries for a start have an element of randomness to them, however:

Things like soft tissue injuries, quad and hamstring strains etc. can largely be reduced and monitored through fatigue and workload management.

Ankles and the like can be the surface of the stadium

Things like shoulder dislocations (poor Dunks) and other impact-based injuries aren't really controllable and can be considered "random".

If we're getting a lot of soft tissue injuries then we should examine why that's happening. If not it's kind of out of our control.

Depth takes a beating ? I'd suggest the opposite. Our depth players are getting valuable experience. But I think I get what you meant.

Don't know what I like more about Barrett's Sliding Doors this week, his continual hard-on for us or the fake he calls out GWS for having s**t depth. Love it.

No matter how hard you try Barrett, you aren't getting back into Bevo's good books.

Did anyone see the article on the AFL site regarding the Dogs given longer term contracts to their assistants? It's certainly an interesting concept his raises. I do enjoy that our football club seems to be now built on stability, a long cry from previous regimes.

No matter how hard you try Barrett, you aren't getting back into Bevo's good books.

Did anyone see the article on the AFL site regarding the Dogs given longer term contracts to their assistants? It's certainly an interesting concept his raises. I do enjoy that our football club seems to be now built on stability, a long cry from previous regimes.

My favourite post of last year was after the JJ last second game winner somebody posted "Suck my Meatlog Barrett". Gold.

I love the longer contracts, quite a lot of assistant coaches need two-three years to really impact their area (depending on their players of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back