What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another matter, anyone else shudder when you see the regular headlines around "Bad Bulldogs" when talking of our badly behaved NRL namesakes?

Wish they started behaving themselves.
Wouldn't be an NRL pre-season/off-season without a sex scandal. Shouldn't even be a scandal though. Girls were of legal age and the sex was consensual. Crazy that it has even become news...

On another matter, anyone else shudder when you see the regular headlines around "Bad Bulldogs" when talking of our badly behaved NRL namesakes?

Wish they started behaving themselves.
It always seems to be the Bulldogs getting into trouble and ignoramuses sometimes confuse them with us. Remember the time they used OUR Robodog logo on a news report about the Canterbury Bulldogs' bad behaviour?

There is another bulldogs article on the HeraldSun today. Can anyone post this and the sam landsberger articles? Can't get past the paywall to read them

There is another bulldogs article on the HeraldSun today. Can anyone post this and the sam landsberger articles? Can't get past the paywall to read them
Western Bulldogs have learned some tough lessons from last year’s finals battering

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says it was the ‘elephant in the room’, the day his team was belted by the Giants. He knows clubs will be coming after them again this year.

Mark Robinson, Herald Sun
March 13, 2020 9:30pm

As a football coach, Luke Beveridge uses all kinds of themes, theories and historical figures to send a message to his players.

In the shadow of his team’s last serious performance — the belting by GWS in the elimination final last year — he might like to use a quote from Benjamin Franklin, one of America’s founding fathers.

“It takes many good deeds to build a good reputation, and only one bad one to lose it.”

The Bulldogs lost plenty in the loss to the Giants, not least the match.

They also lost a bit of their soul. Soft Dogs is not a term usually associated with Beveridge teams, but soft they were on that first weekend of the 2019 finals.

You remember the game. The Giants won by 61 points and Marcus Bontempelli, the Bulldogs’ new captain, was bumped and crunched and harassed throughout a combative afternoon.

The Bulldogs certainly remember it — because they were embarrassed by it.

Much like Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy was embarrassed when North Melbourne hard man Mick Martyn dragged James Hird by the collar around the MCG at the height of their rivalry in 1998.

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says he was angry with how his team performed against the Giants in the elimination final last year. Picture: Michael Klein

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says he was angry with how his team performed against the Giants in the elimination final last year. Picture: Michael Klein

It was a moment in time that Sheedy would never let his players forget.

“It’s definitely worth touching on,’’ Beveridge said of last year’s final.

“My emotions went from anger at what transpired. We knew what was going to happen based on what happened with Bonty and Nick Haynes (they clashed in Round 22).

“Our players knew it, but most of them didn’t understand what was transpiring and the ones that did know, they didn’t do enough.

“Unlike Sheeds, I’ve gone about it a different way.

“The players are the ones who are talking about it, not me. And that’s all that matters.’’

The coach introduced the conversation, but then listened to the players’ response.

“It was a pretty big elephant in the room. Ultimately we didn’t play footy. They beat us at the game and they beat us with the off-the-ball stuff.

“We’re going to confront every team every week who feel like they can scratch that.

“We probably had it against North in the first Marsh game.

“It’s going to be there. There’s no use saying it won’t because it will be there. We know it’s coming, so ultimately we’ve got to steel ourselves and be ready for it.

“And that has been a focus. It’s a focus every year because every team wants to be that team, but in the end you reflect on what a shame (the loss to the Giants) was. We progressed to the final series and our game went away from us in such an important game.”

The Dogs had no answer to the Giants, but learnt a lesson.

“I said to (GWS coach) Leon Cameron, it would’ve been one of the great coaching feats of all time if they won the flag. They weren’t going well, then they played the game on an edge which they hadn’t probably played ever and they almost won the flag.

“Maybe it’s not sustainable, but I don’t think they would’ve made the Grand Final if they didn’t get themselves to that peak of intensity and the physical edge.

“It’s two things for me. It’s being able to play a harder brand before the combat off the ball, we still need to be good at that. And two, all we’ve done is prepare the players for that.”

Marcus Bontempelli received little help from teammates after he was constantly pestered by Matt de Boer. Picture: AAP

Marcus Bontempelli received little help from teammates after he was constantly pestered by Matt de Boer. Picture: AAP

A POTENT LIST

The Bulldogs are one of the teams being spruiked ahead of the season.

It doesn’t mean much in March and that’s why Beveridge isn’t spruiking them from the rooftop of Footscray’s Plough Hotel.

There is an anticipation, though: Just what can his team accomplish?

Beveridge is more confident this year than the past three years because, he says, his team has changed and matured and they have recruited strongly.

“It’s going to be a different team this year,” he said.

“We’ve got more capable taller key position players than we’ve ever had. Our challenge is to use them in the right way.”

At his disposal in the forward 50 are Aaron Naughton, Josh Bruce, Josh Schache and Lewis Young.

In the back half, it’s Alex Keath, Ryan Gardner, Zaine Cordy, Easton Wood and Jackson Trengove.

“The other thing to consider is Tim English. He’s a Jimmy Stynes and a Dean Cox, and how we capitalise on his stuff front and square is important. Tim’s not just going to play in the ruck. He’s still a young man who won’t just grind against Grundy and Gawn. He will play forward at times.”

Depth is welcomed. The midfield is potent and growing still. While Lachie Hunter has one wing position, the other is up for grabs. Lin Jong probably had it but is injured. Maybe it’s Jason Johannisen or Matthew Suckling.

“We’ve got handful of blokes sniffing around. Maybe Roarke Smith,” Beveridge said.

In the forward 50m, Sam Lloyd, Bailey Dale, Tory Dickson, Toby McLean and draftees Cody Weightman, Rhylee West, Ben Cavarra and Laitham Vandermeer will fight for spots.

Who would’ve thought the list would need such replenishment after the 2016 flag?

Tim English leaps for a mark against Port Adelaide during the Marsh Series. Picture: Getty Images

Tim English leaps for a mark against Port Adelaide during the Marsh Series. Picture: Getty Images

THE AFTERMATH

What happened to the Bulldogs after that glorious September — two missed finals and second-half of the season surge last year to finish eighth — has been well discussed.

Beveridge says his players and club have been resilient in the face of high external expectations.

“Everyone was expecting after ’16 that the distinct probability is we’d forge a sustainable period of success,” he said.

“The reality unfortunately is we got shot in the foot on a number of fronts: injury and a handful of our group not being able to manage the expectation around performance.

“When I look back at ’16, if you look at the expression on the players’ faces, it’s partly a look of jubilation but mostly a look of surprise.”

Suddenly, their unique game style was dissected, some of their core competitive players were injured, mental health became an issue, and more often than any other team in the past three years, the Bulldogs fielded the youngest team of the round.

“There was a period of inconsistency to sustain the level of performance and physically we weren’t able to,’’ Beveridge said.
No Libba. And injuries to Liam Picken, Dale Morris, Clay Smith and Wood hurt.

“We needed that core and we became vulnerable. We’re re-establishing that and we’re not quite there yet, but the signs are good.”

Through 2018 and half of 2019, the questions came. Has Beveridge lost the players? Did the players lose themselves?

Alex Keath adds depth to the Bulldogs’ backline. Picture: Michael Klein

Alex Keath adds depth to the Bulldogs’ backline. Picture: Michael Klein

SELF DOUBT

Beveridge told the Herald Sun this week that he felt vulnerable midway through last season.

It was a new frontier for Beveridge, whose coaching career until then was pathed with premierships — St Bede’s in the ammos, Collingwood, Hawthorn as an assistant and then with the Bulldogs.

He says he’s a better coach now than he was three years ago.

“I’ve been through a period I’ve been unaccustomed to. I’ve been really fortunate to have so much success in my coaching. It was foreign for me as coach. I don’t feel like I have made too many blues at all. I felt like was I constant, stable and my challenge was to convince other people things were going to be all right.”

This year, Beveridge sees promise.

“I believe our players are now more equipped to really lead the charge and take us forward. There’s more certainty there. They get it. There’s a really god emotional connection among them. I feel they are driving each other more so than what I’ve seen and that’s going to help.”

The football world got a taste last year. At the bye, the Bulldogs were 4-7 and came home 8-3 and played finals. In the final six weeks, they were highest-scoring team in the competition, a miracle for the Bulldogs.

“We were under pressure. I’m proud of the players. It’s been a long time since a team has come from so far back and then made the finals. We just believed in what we were doing rather than what people were telling us.”

Luke Beveridge with captain Easton Wood. Picture: Michael Klein

Luke Beveridge with captain Easton Wood. Picture: Michael Klein

THE REAL BEVO

This is a rare Beveridge interview. There’s a mystique about him that’s common with football people who don’t speak about themselves.

He’s the Dustin Martin of coaching. Private and, he says, paranoid.

“I do two press conferences every week and that’s a lot for me.

“I’m paranoid about what I might say. I always feel, whatever our narrative is at the moment or has been recently, because we haven’t been successful, I don’t think we’re worthy of telling the story. We’ll tell it if we’re successful.”

The paranoia exists because he’s always aware of what the players might think about what he says.

“They are your most important relationship and if you lose them, you’re in trouble. I’ve always said, and it’s not unique to me, but you can build a relationship and friendship over a lifetime but you can lose it in 30 seconds by something you say or do, and I’m always checking myself over that.’’

There’s a bit of Benjamin Franklin in that.

IF Bailey Smith couldn't finish top three in the 2019 Rising Star award ...

THEN ...
it was a legitimately hot crop. By the end of 2020, and as good as Rozee, Walsh, Blakey, Stack, Thomas and Clark clearly were last year, this guy might be the standout. (And I - until now secretly - ABSOLUTELY love the mullet).

Jeez, something nice from Damian Barrett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez, something nice from Damian Barrett.

Just read the whole article, wowee did he take a big whack at Clarko! Usually he’s trying to marry him, but not this time. Are we gonna get the usually positive Hawk posts & they’ll get our bottom feeding attention?

Shane Biggs

Hawk and Granty debuted on this day 12 years apart - 1978 and 1990. Club FB just uploaded highlights of Hawk - how many times does he instinctively turn onto his non-preferred left, and some of his lefties go further than modern players preferred:

Still probably the most skilled all-round player I've ever seen.

Edit: Glad Bobby Skilton commentated on a lot of those games, as he could recognise a (fellow) highly-skilled footballer. Richards just talked for the sake of talking, much like McAveney.

Hawk and Granty debuted on this day 12 years apart - 1978 and 1990. Club FB just uploaded highlights of Hawk - how many times does he instinctively turn onto his non-preferred left, and some of his lefties go further than modern players preferred:

Edit: Glad Bobby Skilton commentated on a lot of those games, as he could recognise a (fellow) highly-skilled footballer. Richards just talked for the sake of talking, much like McAveney.

How lucky I was. Our family stood just north of the Doug Hawkins Wing and we just took the skills for granted almost (we did love him tho as there wasn't much else to love about the Bulldogs for most of his tenure). Always made it look like he had plenty of time with the ball. And grace - which is hardly a word you'd use for Dougie, lol!

I feel sorry for all our mates on here that didn’t get to see the Hawk play Ivan.
Still have him as the best player I have seen in our jumper. Bont some chance of taking over.

I feel sorry for all our mates on here that didn’t get to see the Hawk play Ivan.
Still have him as the best player I have seen in our jumper. Bont some chance of taking over.

Too right King. There's a Grumpy Old Men episode where they feature Dougie - in the highlights of that episode he takes contested marks, beats taller opponents with skill and body positioning, kicks a torpedo goal from outside 50 (before his ACL), and on the run pulls a left foot pass to the right of the goal square to hit Beasley without breaking stride. I agree, for all-round ability, and across 17 seasons, I'd rate him #1. Bont and Grant are/were superb players, but they had the advantage of an extra 14 and 13 cms, and while good on their non-preferred, Hawk was outstanding on both sides, kick or hb.

How lucky are we to have seen them all?! :D

Found the Grumpy Old Men episode, plus this from the club - today also the anniversary of the debuts of Georgiades, Clay Smith and Tory Dickson, as well as Hawk and Granty:

How could I not have fallen in love with footy after seeing players like Dougie? But, probably like most Americans, the marking is what astounded me. You all can blame Gary Dempsey for having to put up with me as a member. That first match I saw 44 years ago on Friday got me addicted.

Seeing Doug Hawkins in his full glory was indeed a sight to behold. I kept my old transistor radio that I used to take to the footy back in the 70s and 80s and found it while packing to return to Melbourne three years ago. On the back of it still is a footy sticker of Dougie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back