What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on the Mongrel Punt article and the loss to Fremantle in the final, has the club given any information on why the match was lost? I know we on here have our theories on what went wrong but i wonder if the results of a review by the club brainstrust has found its way out of the club. It would be interesting to know how they assessed it and what is being done to address it.

Just on the Mongrel Punt article and the loss to Fremantle in the final, has the club given any information on why the match was lost? I know we on here have our theories on what went wrong but i wonder if the results of a review by the club brainstrust has found its way out of the club. It would be interesting to know how they assessed it and what is being done to address it.
I’d hope some assessments have been made and that there’s an appropriate response from the coaches. However I doubt we’d get any details. How often do clubs release their post mortem findings? It’s competitive information and we won’t want to let others know what we’re planning.

Its not just the Freo game, going back to the 2021 Granny I've lost count of how many times opposition teams have gone on 5-6 goal unanswered runs. You can only blame 6-6-6 for so long.

in an interview with Bevo

The players will tell you there’s differing match-day plans from week to week, but they all revolve around your core principles and style, and what we’ve done at different times is move away from the things that have served us well. And in the final we did that. We were really territory based in the early part of that game coming out of the back half, but then we started to look for things that weren’t there, and made fundamental errors which gave Fremantle momentum.

Tried to be too clever and that took away from the fundamentals.

Article on the AFL site about a few of our players

WESTERN Bulldogs young gun Sam Darcyhas returned to full training after an interrupted start to the summer, but star midfielder Adam Treloaris still recovering from off-season ankle surgery.

Darcy was restricted to light duties away from the main group before Christmas due to an infection in his knee.

The 19-year-old transitioned back into the main group when the Bulldogs reported back for pre-season training last Thursday and completed Monday morning's session at Skinner Reserve.
Darcy overcame a non-existent first pre-season at the club due to a stress fracture in his footto force his way into Luke Beveridge's side late last season, playing the final three rounds and the elimination final loss to Fremantle.

With the return of veteran defender Liam Jones and the arrival of star forward-ruck Rory Lobb, it remains to be seen where Darcy will play in his second season.

But after such an exciting start to life in the AFL, especially given the foot injury that wiped out his first six months at the club, the 2021 No.2 pick will start the season as one of the favourites for the Rising Star Award.
Treloar underwent an operation in Septemberto repair an ankle problem he carried across the second half of last season.

The 29-year-old has trained away from the main group across the first half of the pre-season and is taking a little bit longer than first hoped to recover from surgery. He is on track to be fit in time for round one and expected to return to a more permanent midfield spot after spending time at half-back last year, helping to fill the void left by the departure of reigning Sutton Medallist Josh Dunkley.
Meanwhile, coach Beveridge is currently trialling Josh Bruce in defence after the 30-year-old returned from a knee reconstruction late last season.

The former Saint and Giant booted 48 goals in 2021 before his season ended when he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in round 21 – and has kicked at least 36 goals in a season on five occasions – but he could be headed for a return to the backline, where he spent his first three seasons in the AFL.

Much like at the other end of the ground, the Dogs have pressure for spots in the key defensive posts with Alex Keath fighting for a position against the likes of Ryan Gardner – who finished seventh in last year's best and fairest – and Jones.

Bailey Smith was restricted to training away from the main group alongside Rhylee West for the first half of Monday's session, before returning to the club. The star midfielder is dealing with soreness but is expected to transition into the main group later this month as the club takes a conservative approach at this time of year.Young key defender Jedd Busslinger is nearing a return to full fitness after his draft year was ended by a shoulder reconstruction in July.
The club used pick No.13 in last November's NAB AFL Draft on Busslinger and expects the West Australian to start contact training in the coming weeks after building his load across the first block of the pre-season.

The Bulldogs open their 2023 season against Melbourne at the MCG in a little more than two months.

Cripps did just win a brownlow.... but Bont was carrying injury all year.

A lot of our fortune rests on Timmy staying fit. Our whole team game is based on his ability around the ground and we have little ruck depth.
Are we recognising the Cripps Brownlow?!

VAFA reigning premiers St Kevin’s are set for another successful season after signing former AFL player Mitch Wallis and his talented younger brother Josh.
Mitch, 30, will join SKOB after he was delisted from the Western Bulldogs last year where he played 160 games from 2011 to 2022 and was a fan favourite.
His younger brother Josh, a 26-year-old midfielder and VAFA MVP coaches award winner in 2021, will rejoin the club after a season with Noosa Tigers last year.

SKOB coach Anthony Lynch said he was stoked to have Mitch joining his brother Josh at the club.
“It’s a great acquisition,” Lynch said.
“Obviously Mitch is fairly well known to the group because he went through the school with some of the players in our team and he has watched his brother play for the club over the last few years.
“Getting him over the line was great, he will be fantastic for our young group.”
Former Western Bulldog Mitch Wallis has joined St Kevin’s Old Boys. Photo by Michael Klein

Former Western Bulldog Mitch Wallis has joined St Kevin’s Old Boys. Photo by Michael Klein
Lynch said the recruit of Wallis came about after he sent him a message of support after he was delisted by the Bulldogs.
“It was pretty informal to be honest,” he said.

“I have had a relationship with Mitch for probably a decade really, I was following his AFL career, I’m pretty close with the family so I have always had a relationship.
“When he was delisted by the Bulldogs there was a bit of contact there.
“It was mainly about supporting him out of the AFL and checking in with him and it was only in recent weeks he reached out and said he was keen to play footy at St Kevin’s with his mates and with his brother.
“So it was a pretty easy one to be honest, we’re fortunate there wasn’t too much work involved but we are very happy to have him on board.”
Lynch said the fact that Mitch’s brother Josh was playing for the club made it a big attraction for the former Bulldog to come on board.
“There is not doubt,” he said.
Josh Wallis will rejoin St Kevin’s after having a season with the Noosa Tigers in the QAFL. Picture: Craig Slaney Sports Photography.

Josh Wallis will rejoin St Kevin’s after having a season with the Noosa Tigers in the QAFL. Picture: Craig Slaney Sports Photography.
“Josh was our best and fairest winner a couple of years ago and then he moved up to Noosa for a year with his partner and they have obviously come back to Melbourne this year so the brothers are very keen to play together.
“It will be pretty special to watch.”
Josh is expected to play in the midfield while Mitch’s role could entail positions outside of the forward line.

Do they get paid very much? Obv not like AFL.
Don’t think they’re allowed to be paid a whole lot in that league (correct me if I’m wrong anyone).

The suburban teams are ridiculous - an ex-player I have some connection to got healthy match payments plus a ‘job’ which just happened to align with what he wanted to do after footy through one of the committee members on a very healthy starters salary.

Some of the ones without any clear path get steered into jobs with some sort of progression etc.

I think the ammos are firmer on that sort of thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t think they’re allowed to be paid a whole lot in that league (correct me if I’m wrong anyone).

The suburban teams are ridiculous - an ex-player I have some connection to got healthy match payments plus a ‘job’ which just happened to align with what he wanted to do after footy through one of the committee members on a very healthy starters salary.

Some of the ones without any clear path get steered into jobs with some sort of progression etc.

I think the ammos are firmer on that sort of thing.
VAFA might be the worst when it comes to incentives given to players. The players wouldn’t receive much in direct compensation but that league is notorious as being very well connected to players receiving high paying employment positions, moreso than suburban leagues.

Josh Treacy on Rory Lobb:

Refreshed over the summer and benefiting from a strong running program, Treacy said he wanted to be among the forwards who covered the loss of Lobb, who led the team with 36 goals last year.

"I feel a little bit of that responsibility. It leaves a great hole, not only as a player but as a person too. He was a great mentor and someone I worked really closely with," Treacy told AFL.com.au.

Paints a bit of a different picture to some of the salty portrayals of Lobb coming from Freo supporters.

Herald sun article

WESTERN BULLDOGS​

Who is fit and firing?

Key defender Alex Keath has trimmed up this pre-season, dropping five-six kilograms ahead of his 2023 campaign.

Track watchers also reported midfielder Tom Liberatore and ruckman Tim English to be looking sharp in the sessions so far.

After two injury-hit seasons, midfielder Toby McLean was a standout in the club’s time trials. In positional moves, forward Josh Bruce is being trialled in defence this summer.

Who is injured?

Midfielder Adam Treloar is still training away from the main group as he continues to recover from off-season ankle surgery. The club has not put a timeline on his return to full training as it monitors his progress.

Star midfielder Bailey Smith has also been on a modified load since training resumed due to general soreness, but is expected to transition back to full training next week.

Adam Treloar continues to make progress from off-season ankle surgery.

Adam Treloar continues to make progress from off-season ankle surgery.
Who is back from surgery/injury?

Young gun Sam Darcy has returned to training with the main group after he suffered an infection in his knee due to an ingrown hair, which had restricted him to light duties before Christmas.

Players who won’t play round 1​

No Bulldogs have been ruled out for the start of the home-and-away season at this stage.

Herald sun article

WESTERN BULLDOGS​

The Bulldogs are under a big spotlight next year after underachieving in 2022.

They scraped into the finals and shot to a big lead before capitulating after half time in the elimination final loss to Fremantle. But the Dogs have enjoyed a proactive post-season, bolstering their spine with Rory Lobb and Liam Jones and the coaching staff adding Brendon Lade from St Kilda.

The Dogs have one of the best engine rooms in the game but defensive flaws have cost the club badly.

COACH STATUS

Luke Beveridge secured a contract extension until the end of the 2025 season. The club was keen to find ways to support him more and Brendon Lade clearly adds some expertise and experience to an assistantcoaching staff which felt the losses of Ash Hansen to Carlton and Steven King to Gold Coast.

The Dogs have been known to makesome left-field team selections and there is no reason to think that won’t continue in 2023.

WHO IS IN LAST YEAR OF CONTRACT?​

Alex Keath, Anthony Scott, Arthur Jones, Bailey Williams, Buku Khamis, Cody Raak, Dominic Bedendo, Ed Richards, Hayden Crozier, Jordon Sweet, Josh Bruce, Lachlan McNeil, Latham Vandermeer, Luke Cleary, Mitch Hannan, Roarke Smith, Robbie McComb, Ryan Gardner, Sam Darcy, Taylor Duryea, Tom Liberatore, Tim O’Brien, Toby McLean.

Herald sun article

WESTERN BULLDOGS​

The Bulldogs are under a big spotlight next year after underachieving in 2022.

They scraped into the finals and shot to a big lead before capitulating after half time in the elimination final loss to Fremantle. But the Dogs have enjoyed a proactive post-season, bolstering their spine with Rory Lobb and Liam Jones and the coaching staff adding Brendon Lade from St Kilda.

The Dogs have one of the best engine rooms in the game but defensive flaws have cost the club badly.

COACH STATUS

Luke Beveridge secured a contract extension until the end of the 2025 season. The club was keen to find ways to support him more and Brendon Lade clearly adds some expertise and experience to an assistantcoaching staff which felt the losses of Ash Hansen to Carlton and Steven King to Gold Coast.

The Dogs have been known to makesome left-field team selections and there is no reason to think that won’t continue in 2023.

WHO IS IN LAST YEAR OF CONTRACT?​

Alex Keath, Anthony Scott, Arthur Jones, Bailey Williams, Buku Khamis, Cody Raak, Dominic Bedendo, Ed Richards, Hayden Crozier, Jordon Sweet, Josh Bruce, Lachlan McNeil, Latham Vandermeer, Luke Cleary, Mitch Hannan, Roarke Smith, Robbie McComb, Ryan Gardner, Sam Darcy, Taylor Duryea, Tom Liberatore, Tim O’Brien, Toby McLean.
Really slow news day..

We should rightfully be under the spotlight but most pundits will be picking us not to make the 8 so the pressure won’t be high as you think. Brissy on the other hand need to win a flag in the next few years, their list is not as ready to contend for the next 5 years. Zorko & Rich are on their last legs, their KPD are pretty thin and their forward line relies way too much on Charlie/McCarthy/Bailey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back