What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

I just hope we have the right welfare and understanding for Dom. So many of our players and coaches are all from private schools and may lack the understanding needed to see this kid succeed.
In my group of friends we have some from private schools and the rest of us from public and we are very tight, lifelong friends through football and surfing, but just occasionally I here this private school entitlement come through, the type of stuff that could hold this kid back.
I do have faith in our recruitment program, because they thoroughly go into their background, talk to parents, schools and present and past coaches. I am sure it would have been a two way discussion on what is best for the player.

What an accomplishment for him to make it into the league. Gotta wonder whether how skinny he was when drafted had something to do with financial struggles. I really hope he makes it.

Very unlikely. In Australia, wealth and income have a negative correlation with weight. Up until recently (crazy grocery inflaton) food has been very cheap and even the poor could typically afford excess calories even when struggling in other areas. Ironically, in first world countries, the poor are more likely to be overweight than the middle and upper classes. Also, if he had experienced childhood malnourishment then it would have also stunted his growth and its very unlikely he would be as tall as he is.

It’s not about us doing that.

The whole country is moving to a system of haves and have nots. Own a house? Or have parents who do? Welcome aboard - you’re in the haves. Tough luck for the rest of you. It’s a sad state of affairs.

Your best bet might be to become very good at footy.
Or baseball. Shohei Ohtani set to sign a $700M USD 10yr deal. Insane amount of money.

Very unlikely. In Australia, wealth and income have a negative correlation with weight. Up until recently (crazy grocery inflaton) food has been very cheap and even the poor could typically afford excess calories even when struggling in other areas. Ironically, in first world countries, the poor are more likely to be overweight than the middle and upper classes. Also, if he had experienced childhood malnourishment then it would have also stunted his growth and its very unlikely he would be as tall as he is.

I’m thinking more protein, and in his teen years - they became homeless when he was 15. He’d have been able to fill up and get his calories, but putting muscle bulk on could have been tougher on cheaper carbs and fats.

Or baseball. Shohei Ohtani set to sign a $700M USD 10yr deal. Insane amount of money.

The Dodgers opening home game ticket prices soared with the news, I think starting from $360 each…US dollar.

That is truly insane.

Worth every penny, an absolute superstar, even if the pitching never gets back to what it was post surgery. Merch sales in Japan alone will fund his deal.

Worth every penny, an absolute superstar, even if the pitching never gets back to what it was post surgery. Merch sales in Japan alone will fund his deal.
For sure. It's just an obscene amount of money for someone who can throw a ball really well. I actually went to a Nippon League baseball game when I was in Tokyo in September. Such a good vibe in the crowd there.

For sure. It's just an obscene amount of money for someone who can throw a ball really well. I actually went to a Nippon League baseball game when I was in Tokyo in September. Such a good vibe in the crowd there.
The free market system really does throw up some doozies in sport, entertainment and business generally, doesn't it?

The top 0.1% in these fields get ridiculous money. More than they can seriously spend on themselves, their friends and their extended family in a lifetime.

Imagine what we could be buying instead ...

The free market system really does throw up some doozies in sport, entertainment and business generally, doesn't it?

The top 0.1% in these fields get ridiculous money. More than they can seriously spend on themselves, their friends and their extended family in a lifetime.

Imagine what we could be buying instead ...

Bring back communism imo. Sports people shouldn't be making more than real jobs like brickies, plasterers, welders etc.
Cap every sport player at 120k a year and redistribute their excess wealth into wind farms.

Bring back communism imo. Sports people shouldn't be making more than real jobs like brickies, plasterers, welders etc.
Cap every sport player at 120k a year and redistribute their excess wealth into public infrastructure.
Do you really want countries worth of essendope supporters

And bat just as well, hence the crazy amount of money.

Not just us, but the coroner's report into Shane Tuck's death could lead to non-contact training only, no match sim, tackling, etc

Interesting to see where this goes, and how quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just us, but the coroner's report into Shane Tuck's death could lead to non-contact training only, no match sim, tackling, etc

Interesting to see where this goes, and how quickly.
There should be at minimum independent doctors at games with the ability to pull players off. I can't understand how it didn't happen already, at least post the Port incident last season.

There should be at minimum independent doctors at games with the ability to pull players off. I can't understand how it didn't happen already, at least post the Port incident last season.
That’s one of the recommendations. Their opinion would trump that of the club-employed doctors.

That’s one of the recommendations. Their opinion would trump that of the club-employed doctors.

No idea why it's taken so long to get here.

Independent doctor making the assessment, final decision, no correspondence entered into. The club docs AND the players have clearly not taken concussion seriously enough and rushed back on too often in the past.

Yes, players need to be accountable as well, you can guarantee plenty have ignored docs over the years.

Yep they're the two main recommendations, just to clarify dogwatch's point - if independent and club doctors agree on action, no issue.
If they contradict each other, independent doctor will over-ride club doctor/s... assuming AFL agrees to the recommendations (hard to see how they wont).

"They should jointly decide whether the player should be removed from the game but if there's a disagreement, the independent advice wins out, Judge Cain said.

The AFL acknowledged the findings and said it would take time to review the recommendations, though it is required to formally respond within three months."

Yep they're the two main recommendations, just to clarify dogwatch's point - if independent and club doctors agree on action, no issue.
If they contradict each other, independent doctor will over-ride club doctor/s... assuming AFL agrees to the recommendations (hard to see how they wont).

"They should jointly decide whether the player should be removed from the game but if there's a disagreement, the independent advice wins out, Judge Cain said.

The AFL acknowledged the findings and said it would take time to review the recommendations, though it is required to formally respond within three months."
If they disagree then then removal of the player from the game should win out. If the independent thinks it’s fine and the club doctor thinks it’s a concussion then the coach shouldn’t have the option to put the player back on.

They could go even further and put a number on the amount of concussions you can have before you are told to call it quits. So you have six concussions and that's it.

Tough, but it'll have to be drastic otherwise they'll have ambulance chasing lawyers with dollar signs in their eyes trying to bankrupt clubs forevermore if they don't go hard.

They could go even further and put a number on the amount of concussions you can have before you are told to call it quits. So you have six concussions and that's it.

Tough, but it'll have to be drastic otherwise they'll have ambulance chasing lawyers with dollar signs in their eyes trying to bankrupt clubs forevermore if they don't go hard.
There’s got to be more onus on the players, too. Mandatory high risk insurance having to be taken out annually to cover this going forward. I work in an industry where I pay my own high risk insurance premium partially subsidised by my employer. The AFL will introduce the same.

As for the independent doctor stuff, it should have been in place for 10 years. Wild it’s not.

There’s got to be more onus on the players, too. Mandatory high risk insurance having to be taken out annually to cover this going forward. I work in an industry where I pay my own high risk insurance premium partially subsidised by my employer. The AFL will introduce the same.

As for the independent doctor stuff, it should have been in place for 10 years. Wild it’s not.
I imagine the AFLPA would push to have that entirely league funded.

No idea why it's taken so long to get here.
This has been recommended by research and health professional teams for years, and years, and years, and years, and years. I can tell you for a fact at minimum this was recommended by at least one research team 6 years ago. AFL have continued to refuse.

The independent doctor stuff will create a whole new craze on Big Footy and other social media sites as well as the less honorable news outlets. The first time they pull a plyer off the field I can hear the outrage coming. "He's not independent, everybody knows he grew up as a [insert opposing team name here] fan! Everybody knows the rich clubs are paying them under the table and screwing the poor clubs! Etc., etc. That being said, I think it's an excellent and long overdue idea.

This has been recommended by research and health professional teams for years, and years, and years, and years, and years. I can tell you for a fact at minimum this was recommended by at least one research team 6 years ago. AFL have continued to refuse.

This is why all claims for compo should be directed to the AFL, not the clubs.

The AFL make the rules here (or ignore them).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back