What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

If you are focussing on size and definition (e.g. like a bodybuilder) you will be looking at isolating and growing muscles so that they appear a certain way through using weights (often cable weights not free form). This doesn't mean that you are actually stronger or can perform in an athletic context because it is largely through an artificial exercise regime that doesnt match activities you would engage in outside of the gym to create muscle growth. Your body is made up of many smaller and often important stabiliser muscles that never get huge or make you look like hercules. The balance and function between these allow you to run effectively, to take a hit, to carry weight on an odd angle (be an overall better specimen basically). Looking super cut doesnt mean that you have this at all, and often the opposite.

This is why you rarely see athletes look like body builders.

Bailey isnt quite the same as a body builder but he is clearly focussing on some parts of his body for aesthetics more than function out of footy (I dont think there is anything wrong with that). His abs obviously receive disproportionate work which is an aesthetic rather than function thing - they are more prominent than other muscles in his core (look at distribution below his pecs). His pecs are actually not particularly large (despite being defined) and I think disproportionately small to his other muscles compared to other players (his other muscles are just bigger...). His back and legs are no different to other footballers and this is where my thought that his fat percentage isn't absurdly low comes from. Look a the bottom image. In total he doesnt appear to be exercising for complete balance for athletic excellence, or across his whole body (like a body builder would). Man wants to build the cut brand with abs and shredded arms...
View attachment 1882197
4f52c99dc85c149e9781d6804107fa52
So true, Baz needs to start working out like those specimens over at Melbourne

Attachments

• IMG_9172.jpeg
    IMG_9172.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 201
Today’s Herald Sun has an assessment of the Bulldogs list. Nothing that hasn’t been discussed here. They are favouring Darcy over O’Donnell is probably the big difference from what has been said here.

Reading the article I suspect the writer didn’t know who JOD is.

Yeah, a very unimpressive article. The author displayed minimal understanding of our team and list. I think they should actually feel quite embarrassed about producing and publishing it.

It seemed like preparation for the article totaled a brief skimming over some of last year's media articles and a quick check to make sure the quickly thrown together best 22 didn't accidentally include any delisted players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sen Article

Less than two months out from the Opening Round of the 2024 AFL season, the Western Bulldogs are yet to release the findings of their external review, supposedly conducted last November.

It was announced prior to the National Draft that the club would take a look at the football department following their 9th placed finish and shock finals absence in 2023.
Notable critic of the club and their coach Luke Beveridge, Kane Cornes called for a deep review mid-way through last season and is now growing impatient with the lack of emerging information, given their promise to share findings in due course.

He addressed the situation this morning on SEN Breakfast with Sam Edmund, asking “When’s due course? The season starts in 59 days.”

“Half-way through the year I went on footy classified and said ‘the Western Bulldogs need the most forensic review out of any club in the competition,'” Cornes said.

“I would think it’s pretty important to have these findings… to be sharing those with your members by now.

“It’s pretty difficult to implement these changes when the season starts essentially in six or seven weeks.

“I think it’s late and I think Dogs fans would be itching to find out what has been found in the review.”

Granted, substantial changes have been made to the Bulldog’s football department, as Sam Edmund highlighted in response.

“They’ve changed their entire football club from basically all the assistant coaches down,” Edmund said.

Welcoming Matt Egan, Daniel Pratt and Jarryn Geary to the coaching ranks leaves the spotlight on senior coach Luke Beveridge and footy boss Chris Grant, being the last notable coaching members yet to face the music.

With the external review seemingly still ongoing, Cornes believes pressure must be building on these two if the club are resolute on making significant improvements.

“It’s clearly focussed on Chris Grant and Luke Beveridge… it has to be,” Cornes said.

“It doesn’t make sense to focus on people who haven’t started yet.

“I’m sure the Western Bulldogs will get to sharing that information and findings with their members shortly."

The Bulldogs’ season kicks off Sunday, March 17 when they take on Melbourne at the MCG.

Sen Article

Less than two months out from the Opening Round of the 2024 AFL season, the Western Bulldogs are yet to release the findings of their external review, supposedly conducted last November.

It was announced prior to the National Draft that the club would take a look at the football department following their 9th placed finish and shock finals absence in 2023.
Notable critic of the club and their coach Luke Beveridge, Kane Cornes called for a deep review mid-way through last season and is now growing impatient with the lack of emerging information, given their promise to share findings in due course.

He addressed the situation this morning on SEN Breakfast with Sam Edmund, asking “When’s due course? The season starts in 59 days.”

“Half-way through the year I went on footy classified and said ‘the Western Bulldogs need the most forensic review out of any club in the competition,'” Cornes said.

“I would think it’s pretty important to have these findings… to be sharing those with your members by now.

“It’s pretty difficult to implement these changes when the season starts essentially in six or seven weeks.

“I think it’s late and I think Dogs fans would be itching to find out what has been found in the review.”

Granted, substantial changes have been made to the Bulldog’s football department, as Sam Edmund highlighted in response.

“They’ve changed their entire football club from basically all the assistant coaches down,” Edmund said.

Welcoming Matt Egan, Daniel Pratt and Jarryn Geary to the coaching ranks leaves the spotlight on senior coach Luke Beveridge and footy boss Chris Grant, being the last notable coaching members yet to face the music.

With the external review seemingly still ongoing, Cornes believes pressure must be building on these two if the club are resolute on making significant improvements.

“It’s clearly focussed on Chris Grant and Luke Beveridge… it has to be,” Cornes said.

“I’m sure the Western Bulldogs will get to sharing that information and findings with their members shortly."

The Bulldogs’ season kicks off Sunday, March 17 when they take on Melbourne at the MCG.
The mugs have no idea about our club.

Sen Article

Kano must have missed the part where we changed the entire support structure behind Bevo and then backed him.

If you are focussing on size and definition (e.g. like a bodybuilder) you will be looking at isolating and growing muscles so that they appear a certain way through using weights (often cable weights not free form). This doesn't mean that you are actually stronger or can perform in an athletic context because it is largely through an artificial exercise regime that doesnt match activities you would engage in outside of the gym to create muscle growth. Your body is made up of many smaller and often important stabiliser muscles that never get huge or make you look like hercules. The balance and function between these allow you to run effectively, to take a hit, to carry weight on an odd angle (be an overall better specimen basically). Looking super cut doesnt mean that you have this at all, and often the opposite.

This is why you rarely see athletes look like body builders.

Bailey isnt quite the same as a body builder but he is clearly focussing on some parts of his body for aesthetics more than function out of footy (I dont think there is anything wrong with that). His abs obviously receive disproportionate work which is an aesthetic rather than function thing - they are more prominent than other muscles in his core (look at distribution below his pecs). His pecs are actually not particularly large (despite being defined) and I think disproportionately small to his other muscles compared to other players (his other muscles are just bigger...). His back and legs are no different to other footballers and this is where my thought that his fat percentage isn't absurdly low comes from. Look a the bottom image. In total he doesnt appear to be exercising for complete balance for athletic excellence, or across his whole body (like a body builder would). Man wants to build the cut brand with abs and shredded arms...
View attachment 1882197
4f52c99dc85c149e9781d6804107fa52

That’s absolute nonsense, for starters afl aren’t going into the gym and doing what they want they have set programs. Getting abs has nothing to do with ab focused exercise, if you’re lean enough and are doing an all body gym program you’ll have a six pack how defined it is will be due to genetics. Smith isn’t strongly built but is quite good at breaking tackles and obviously runs very well, of all the criticism you could have of his none of them would be of a physical nature.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

His ruck craft is actually pretty good, at the very least he gives us another option.
Lobb competes in the ruck exchange at 100%. Blue collar - not like our AA ruck who drops his head too often for my liking.

Tom Boyd commented that rucking against Lobb was bloody difficult the few chances he got. Lobb > Zaine Cordy.

Sen Article

I think Cornes deserves the Colonel Jessup response. "I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!'

I have said this before, but if the CEO and President really believe they need to hire someone to come in and conduct a review to tell them what is going on and how to improve things then at least one and possibly both of them should start working on their resignation letters, because they are admitting they aren't capable of performing their roles effectively.

I think Cornes deserves the Colonel Jessup response. "I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!'

I have said this before, but if the CEO and President really believe they need to hire someone to come in and conduct a review to tell them what is going on and how to improve things then at least one and possibly both of them should start working on their resignation letters, because they are admitting they aren't capable of performing their roles effectively.
Did Richmond not have a similar review before winning 3 in 17, 19 & 20.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back