What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Article on the AFL Website

ANOTHER week, another round of questions about Aaron Naughton for Luke Beveridge to answer.

The 24-year-old Naughton signed an eight-year contract extension at the end of last season after kicking 44 goals in 2023, following 51 in 2022 and 47 in a breakout campaign in 2021, but has only kicked four goals in four games this year, playing a different role.

The injection of Sam Darcy, who won the round four Rising Star nomination after kicking three goals on Saturday night, the rise of former No.1 pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and the form of Cody Weightman, who has kicked 11 goals to sit equal fourth on the Coleman Medal leaderboard after round four, has led to Naughton playing higher up the ground.
As a result, the West Australian is averaging career-highs for disposals (14.3), score involvements (7.5) – he had a career-high four goal assists against West Coast – and inside 50s (3.3) – he had six against West Coast and five against Geelong.

But the role tweak to accommodate Darcy in the same 22 as Ugle-Hagan has meant Naughton has been targeted inside 50 the same number of times as half-forward Rhylee West (10), well behind Ugle-Hagan (27) and even less than Weightman (11).
Speaking inside the Western Bulldogs' new facility at Mission Whitten Oval on Thursday morning, Beveridge explained how the shift in role has been part of the evolution of the club's forward set-up.

"The previous two weeks he was in our best players. (He was) high on score involvements, played on some pretty good key backs in [Tom] Barrass and [Sam] Collins. His work up between the arcs was outstanding, contested marks, worked his tail off," Beveridge said ahead of Friday night’s game against Essendon.
"Sometimes who gets on the end of it is circumstantial. When you play three big guys on the ground, a divide-and-conquer aspect is important. Aaron is a really selfless Western Bulldogs player. I thought he was just outstanding against West Coast and Gold Coast he was just outstanding. Last week, he worked hard and didn't necessarily got on the end of it.

"We don't judge his games on how many times he kicks it between the big sticks. We'd love him to be kicking more for his own sake, but when the team has averaged over 100 points in the last three rounds, no one is happier as a leader and team player than Aaron Naughton. I think the best teams and the ones that challenge at the end of the year are the ones that have multiple goal kickers who share and spread that responsibly. We want to be one of those teams; we don't expect Aaron to kick four or five goals every week.
"I mentioned last week the influence of Cody and Rhylee West and Laitham Vandermeer. The contributions of the small-to-mediums continues to adjust. Cody is a significant threat for us and when he plays a little bit deeper, that displaces one of the keys. I'm sure in the games coming up he is going to kick multiples and hit the scoreboard. As far as forcing a tweak, it has been part of the evolution of how we’re playing."

Caleb Daniel's spot in the Bulldogs' best 23 is up in the air after the 2020 All-Australian and Charles Sutton Medal winner was substituted out of last Saturday night's narrow loss to Geelong at Adelaide Oval.

Beveridge said Daniel's form has suffered from being moved around the ground across the pre-season and early stages of the year and might result in some time at VFL level to settle in one spot and help him regain form.
"There is no absolute need to do anything. When we think about Caleb and the role he might play week to week, he has been pretty adept at playing all over the ground across the journey. He is one of those players that doesn't necessarily settle in one area," Beveridge said.

"I suppose the team needs have come before Caleb's to a degree and that's always hard for a player to process and deal with. He is such a great character with great integrity, he will always process things in accordance with what's best for the team.

"He will probably spend a bit of time at half-back. If he plays State League then maybe he spends some time there. It just depends on who is playing well at different areas at AFL level and where he in the end gets his claws into the competition again. We've got no doubt that will happen."

Three-time All-Australian Jack Macraereplaced Daniel late in the third quarter on the weekend after starting as the substitute in his second game back in the senior side, following a month in the VFL.
Beveridge is confident the Victorian can ignite his season in the not too distant future after dealing with an interrupted pre-season, where he missed the February block of training after injuring his hamstring on the club's pre-season camp on the Sunshine Coast.

"Like Caleb, Jack will have a significant influence at some stage and could be this week. We don't discount that. Jack will play (at some level), but as far as formalising where that will be, we will probably have to wait until Friday night," he said.

The Dogs will meet Essendon in the 30th anniversary of the EJ Whitten Cup on Friday night, dating back to 1995 when the club was still called Footscray.

Beveridge's side has won nine of the past ten encounters between the two sides, with seven of those victories coming under the roof at Marvel Stadium.

So Bevo's commentary over the past few weeks suggests he believes the list is not good enough to contend. So remind me, why is he the man we've enlisted to coach this list? Imagine being a senior player and having your coach come out and make comments like that.

Do we have a top 2 list in the comp? Of course not. In saying that, with the right structure, coaching and messaging, it has the ability to contend and match it with the best. Instead we have a comp that is hellbent on tearing it down for some reason.

Last edited:
Sen Article

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge’s selection policy has been called into question following his side’s 29-point loss to Essendon on Friday night of Round 5.

Beveridge dropped All-Australian Caleb Daniel for the clash, while Bailey Dale, another All-Australian, was relegated to substitute.
In their place were the likes of Lachlan Bramble (35 games) and Harvey Gallagher (five games), while James O’Donnell (13 games) and Oskar Baker (37 games) are also early in their careers.

Nathan Buckley, who admitted he found it difficult to comment from the outside, was confused at the Bulldogs’ 23.

“If you decide you want to move past players who are All-Australian types that have played significant roles for you in the past… To move past them you need to have better, or they (have to be) terribly out of form,” the former Collingwood coach told SEN Breakfast.

“I don’t know about the evidence of being terribly out of form and I don’t think they’ve found better. The selection of O’Donnell as the third tall made sense, he described that really well, and I like Gallagher in the side, he’s a young player that looks like he’s contributing now and will be better in the future.

“The question I’ve got, I wonder whether there is a bit of list management consideration in this. Are these two, and maybe even Jack Macrae, are they players they feel like they want to move on from in a five-year sense? Are they players they might trade at the end of the year?”

Buckley added: “It’s easy (to say) in retrospect. But it’s not a game they should have given up. They were coming up a wounded side that had their own injury concerns.”

It’s not the first time in 2024 Beveridge’s selections have been questioned. Leaving out three-time All-Australian Macrae earlier in the season raised plenty of eyebrows, while high profile recruit Rory Lobb has been relegated to the VFL.

Port Adelaide great and Breakfast co-host Kane Cornes pointed out the difference between Beveridge’s selection policy and his list management team, suggesting the two could even be far apart on key decisions.

“It feels like he is at loggerheads with his list management group. Bailey Dale was a free agent a year ago, he signed a five-year deal in 2022 and now Luke Beveridge is not even starting him in the best 22,” Cornes remarked.

Caleb Daniel is on big money, he’s got a couple of years left on his contract, Jack Macrae the same. Is Luke Beveridge saying to his list management, ‘I disagree with what you’ve done here and I’m going to make a statement’?

“There’s not better there. We’re talking Oskar Baker, we’re talking James O’Donnell, we’re talking Bramble.”
Meanwhile, Beveridge attempted to explain his selections when speaking in a post-match press conference.

“(Dale’s non-selection) is just a form thing. We've been a little bit on edge about Liam Jones and Buku Khamis shouldering that key defensive load, and without another tall to really play on keys, it's meant Ed Richards and Bailey to a degree, and sometimes Taylor Duryea, have had to really fight out of their weight range in the air," Beveridge said post-game.

“Because Dig's been just a bit off with his influence in games, we thought it was a good week to bring James (O'Donnell) in. James is going to be a really good player for us in the future. You don't pick the side two weeks ahead, but understanding what we've got coming up in the Saints and a bit of a taller forward line, we'll definitely need someone like James in the team.

“(Daniel) is just similar to Bailey Dale. As far as influence goes, and as I've said in the past and I think you guys and girls totally understand, there's a finite amount of minutes midfielders can play.

“(With Daniel), we've moved away from picking him as a half-back at the moment, so it comes down to who plays the other roles and we had others ahead of him this week.”

The Bulldogs fall to a 2-3 record with the defeat to Essendon and face St Kilda under the bright lights of Thursday night footy this week.

Sen Article

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge’s selection policy has been called into question following his side’s 29-point loss to Essendon on Friday night of Round 5.

Beveridge dropped All-Australian Caleb Daniel for the clash, while Bailey Dale, another All-Australian, was relegated to substitute.
In their place were the likes of Lachlan Bramble (35 games) and Harvey Gallagher (five games), while James O’Donnell (13 games) and Oskar Baker (37 games) are also early in their careers.

Nathan Buckley, who admitted he found it difficult to comment from the outside, was confused at the Bulldogs’ 23.

“If you decide you want to move past players who are All-Australian types that have played significant roles for you in the past… To move past them you need to have better, or they (have to be) terribly out of form,” the former Collingwood coach told SEN Breakfast.

“I don’t know about the evidence of being terribly out of form and I don’t think they’ve found better. The selection of O’Donnell as the third tall made sense, he described that really well, and I like Gallagher in the side, he’s a young player that looks like he’s contributing now and will be better in the future.

“The question I’ve got, I wonder whether there is a bit of list management consideration in this. Are these two, and maybe even Jack Macrae, are they players they feel like they want to move on from in a five-year sense? Are they players they might trade at the end of the year?”

Buckley added: “It’s easy (to say) in retrospect. But it’s not a game they should have given up. They were coming up a wounded side that had their own injury concerns.”

It’s not the first time in 2024 Beveridge’s selections have been questioned. Leaving out three-time All-Australian Macrae earlier in the season raised plenty of eyebrows, while high profile recruit Rory Lobb has been relegated to the VFL.

Port Adelaide great and Breakfast co-host Kane Cornes pointed out the difference between Beveridge’s selection policy and his list management team, suggesting the two could even be far apart on key decisions.

“It feels like he is at loggerheads with his list management group. Bailey Dale was a free agent a year ago, he signed a five-year deal in 2022 and now Luke Beveridge is not even starting him in the best 22,” Cornes remarked.

“Caleb Daniel is on big money, he’s got a couple of years left on his contract, Jack Macrae the same. Is Luke Beveridge saying to his list management, ‘I disagree with what you’ve done here and I’m going to make a statement’?

“There’s not better there. We’re talking Oskar Baker, we’re talking James O’Donnell, we’re talking Bramble.”
Meanwhile, Beveridge attempted to explain his selections when speaking in a post-match press conference.

“(Dale’s non-selection) is just a form thing. We've been a little bit on edge about Liam Jones and Buku Khamis shouldering that key defensive load, and without another tall to really play on keys, it's meant Ed Richards and Bailey to a degree, and sometimes Taylor Duryea, have had to really fight out of their weight range in the air," Beveridge said post-game.

“Because Dig's been just a bit off with his influence in games, we thought it was a good week to bring James (O'Donnell) in. James is going to be a really good player for us in the future. You don't pick the side two weeks ahead, but understanding what we've got coming up in the Saints and a bit of a taller forward line, we'll definitely need someone like James in the team.

“(Daniel) is just similar to Bailey Dale. As far as influence goes, and as I've said in the past and I think you guys and girls totally understand, there's a finite amount of minutes midfielders can play.

“(With Daniel), we've moved away from picking him as a half-back at the moment, so it comes down to who plays the other roles and we had others ahead of him this week.”

The Bulldogs fall to a 2-3 record with the defeat to Essendon and face St Kilda under the bright lights of Thursday night footy this week.
To his credit, Bevo is clearly trying to shake things up, following on from his "definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" quote earlier in the year.

Problem is, in true Bevo style it's being done in a round about way, causing all sorts of confusion and frustration, and so far it's just not working.

Media will pile on Bevo for his Dale, Daniel, Macrae and Sanders decisions but they’re miniscule issues compared to our actual problems.

Dale sub is justified by the fact that he’s been poor this season, anyone who actually watches us play would see that. Caleb Daniel we couldn’t see in pre-season but based on his AFL form and this weekend in the VFL, I don’t see him as a current Best 22 player either. Macrae was returning from injury and barely had any impact against West Coast, he’s been better since and will stay in the side as a result. I don’t think Sanders should have been subbed but taking out a first year player shouldn’t be controversial at all.

They’ll talk about our team selection as the issue when it’s the game plan that’s letting us down.

Again, I don’t have any issue with the Daniel & Dale (& Macrae) decisions in isolation because their form hasn’t been good enough.

The question and issue is why have these players fallen off so much? What has caused this? These guys are all guys previously AA, in their theoretical primes and signed on long contracts.

Fox Footy Article

Are the Bulldogs a flag chance, rebuilding or somewhere in between?

The Western Bulldogs suffered a 29-point defeat to Essendon in round five, slumping to a record of 2-3 for season 2024.

But where do they stand? Do they give themselves a shot at the flag this season or have they internally accepted that it’s time to rebuild and go again?
Pressure continues to mount on head coach Luke Beveridge, with the clock ticking on their premiership window.

“I don’t think Luke Beveridge is safe,” Herald Sun Chief Football Writer Mark Robinson said on Fox Footy’s AFL360.

“It depends on what the alignment (inside the club) is like, coming into the season they didn’t feel like the team that was going ‘nah, we can’t win it with this group we’re going to change things’, they felt like a team that had removed all the obstacles to nail it down now and finally deliver,” co-host Gerard Whateley added.
“They were one of the two fascinations of the off-season and how they would present into the year.

“All of their work was done to achieve success now, to smooth the obstacles, to remove the barriers and to be successful now.

“They don’t look like that team.”

Robinson believes that these conversations might have been bubbling away inside the four walls at the Whitten Oval for some time.

“I think the Dogs decided in the off-season they were doing this,” he said.

“I don’t think they started the season saying ‘oh, let’s all play the kids’.

“They decided in the off-season, what are we doing, where are we.

“I think they’ve made enormous list management issues, mistakes, I think the Dogs are the first club to be bitten by these long contracts.”

Both Jack Macrae and Bailey Dale are contracted until the end of 2027 while Caleb Daniel is tied to the club until the end of 2026.
“What are they going to do with them? They’re going to have to trade them out,” Robinson said.

“The Dogs have decided in the off-season, ‘we’ve gone as far as we can go with this list’.

“If they continued going with this same group, everyone would be saying what are you doing Dogs?

“They’re tossing some old out and they’re putting some speed in.

“Those speedy players, they’re not as talented as some of these others, but it’s not all about talent.

“They’re trying to juggle where they are. They might play finals they might not, they’re building, they’re not in it to win it this year.”

Whateley believes that Beveridge is “looking for a fresh mix” of players to lead the club forward.“It’s a high wire act with the core of players who thought they were in it to win it now,” Whateley said.
Robinson then put the blowtorch on exciting youngster Ryley Sanders, who appeared to be incredibly frustrated after being subbed out of the game for the second time in five weeks.

“Is he spitting the dummy? Mick Malthouse thinks he should get fined,” Robinson said.

“Chill out, Ryley. You’re a good young player, you’ve been in the senior team for two and a half minutes and you start kicking the toys out because you get taken off the ground and you’re not happy.

“I wouldn’t drop him, good young man but pull your head in pal, you’ve done nothing yet, you’ve played a good under 18s year.”

Whateley said the football world will have a far clearer picture of where the Dogs are at after their round six clash against the Saints on Thursday.

“I think he’s got to be crystal clear… where’s the alignment and what does Marcus Bontempelli think of it.

“Part of the off-season to me was recognition that they’re on the clock with Bonntempelli and that wasn’t about rebuilding this year.

“They’ve got a big week ahead, teams typically respond in this week, we’ll get a bit of a glimpse publicly but then when they play against St Kilda on Thursday night, we’ll know.”

The Dogs take on the Saints in a mouth-watering clash at Marvel Stadium on Thursday night.

Again, I don’t have any issue with the Daniel & Dale (& Macrae) decisions in isolation because their form hasn’t been good enough.

The question and issue is why have these players fallen off so much? What has caused this? These guys are all guys previously AA, in their theoretical primes and signed on long contracts.

The one thing that's really annoying me is the focus/pile on from the media about the contracts that Macre, Daniel and Dale are on. When none of these people battered an eye-lid when they got announced. We were praised for retaining AA's on long term deals.

The fact the focus isn't solely on what you have mentioned above about the why/how have they dropped away so quickly is frustrating. One you could understand but three at once? Doesn't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little promo vid of Baz doing rehab on the Dogs socials is a bit cruel for supporters. Surely only about a 10% chance to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Little promo vid of Baz doing rehab on the Dogs socials is a bit cruel for supporters. Surely only about a 10% chance to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Maybe word has got out that Bailey Smith has been missing from the club doing his rehab so just trying to hush those talks and that they’ve been engaged with him throughout the whole process.

Dougie Hawkins doesn't hold back in this REVIEW - he slams the toxic journalism, implores our supporters to hang in there AND goes BOOM about Bevo's future at the Club! Don't miss this episode...​

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back