What things are you too old for at the age of 30?

Remove this Banner Ad

People often say 'you're never too old to do x or y' and while it's often true and works as motivation, sometimes you are too old for some things.

I'd say at the age of 30 being a professional athlete, astronaut, and surgeon are off limits.

As in starting a career or still being in one?

Because Usain Bolt is 32 and is now pursuing a career as a professional footballer. Thats a big shift from what he was doing before.

As in starting a career or still being in one?

Because Usain Bolt is 32 and is now pursuing a career as a professional footballer. Thats a big shift from what he was doing before.

Starting a career from ground zero. So either never having played, or only played at low level, or not being anywhere near top physical condition.

It goes without saying that Bolt is not the typical 32 year old.

Nearly all astronauts are older than 30.

I feel I should clarify since there is much confusion ITT.

When I said 'being' I should have said 'becoming' because obviously most (/all) surgeons and astronauts are over 30.

But if you're 30 and not already well on the way to becoming a surgeon or astronaut then you have probably missed the boat

IMO of course.

Most astronauts are over the age of 30. It takes quite a long time of training.

Pulling an all-nighter. Just can't do it anymore. I can get to about 3am but it's too hard after that.

3am is such a strange number.

If I'm at home - I glance at the computer and think - gee, have to get up in 3 hours, better go to bed. Hmm, not really that tired though.

If I'm out - I'm SO exhausted I want to sleep right now. Wonder if they'll mind if I just lean against this wall here?

My regular bed time is usually between 1-2am. I'm up at 5:30 three days a week, 6:30 the others. So long as I get about 3.5 hours I'm good to go. Yet put me in a position where I'm supposed to be awake and I'm looking for bed by 11pm.

Most astronauts are over the age of 30. It takes quite a long time of training.

See post above yours. When I say 'too old to become astronaut' it assumes that this is a new career path and you don't have any necessary prereqs for the job. Different story if you've got a degree and experience in the STEM field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't go to a music festival like Listen Out, Defqon or Tomorrowland over the age of 30.

Pulling an all-nighter. Just can't do it anymore. I can get to about 3am but it's too hard after that.
So many ways i could go with this too hard comment

* Couch surfing.

* Working holidays.

* Dating teenagers.

* Hitchhiking.

* Hunting autographs.

* Spewing in public.

* Cavill Avenue/King’s Cross/King Street.

* Pre-mixed drinks.

* Being an AFL club captain who wears an opposition club’s scarf to the Grand Final.

I'd add now it's not just sports but careers. If you don't have or are not on the way to establishing a career by 30 the die is already cast.

Would say the opposite is true nowadays with so many study options available and growth in areas like healthcare and education. Changing jobs is much more common now than in the past. If you have kids and a partner that doesn't/cannot work full time in a decent-paying job then maybe but can't think why it would be impossible otherwise.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back