What will happen first? Geelong finishing bottom 4, or Carlton finishing top 4?

Which is more likely to happen first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

home and away
At least it means this thread is still alive.
Carlton should finish top 4 home and away before we finish bottom 4.
Remember we haven't finished bottom 4 since 1986 and we've never finished below 12th.

Remember we haven't finished bottom 4 since 1986 and we've never finished below 12th.
So you're due much like Carlton finishing top 4, I'm thinking either next year or 2025 for both.

So you're due much like Carlton finishing top 4, I'm thinking either next year or 2025 for both.

We aren't due at all to finish bottom four. Do you know how inept and downright pathetic you have to be in order to finish bottom four?
You are basically only winning a maximum of 7 games.
Cats just had arguably it's worst season since 2006. Literally nothing went right and injuries were probably at an all-time high. Even after all of this, we won 10 games and drew in another.

I think we win a minimum of 11-12 games next year. Carlton should rightfully finish above us given the age demographic of their list.

We aren't due at all to finish bottom four. Do you know how inept and downright pathetic you have to be in order to finish bottom four?
Cats just had arguably it's worst season since 2006. Literally nothing went right and injuries were probably at an all-time high. Even after all of this, we won 10 games and drew in another.

I think we win a minimum of 11-12 games next year. Carlton should rightfully finish above us given the age demographic of their list.

Some years are more even than others
Hawks finished 2nd last in 1997 with 8 wins

Yeah I'm expecting all those 30+ year old's to just keep improving and those very average youth to suddenly turn it around and become superstars, lets be honest without the advantages of KP you are already just about a bottom 4 side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I'm expecting all those 30+ year old's to just keep improving and those very average youth to suddenly turn it around and become superstars, lets be honest without the advantages of KP you are already just about a bottom 4 side.

That's the thing about transitioning a list. Remember when you said a similar thing three years ago? You know, too many 30+ yr old's.

I suppose you also assume guys like De Koning, Holmes, Miers, Henry, Guthrie, Bruhn and Stengle regress to become nothing in the coming years?

That's the thing about transitioning a list. Remember when you said a similar thing three years ago? You know, too many 30+ yr old's.

I suppose you also assume guys like De Koning, Holmes, Miers, Henry, Guthrie, Bruhn and Stengle regress to become nothing in the coming years?

It’s bizarre how often people just assume that even the non-superstar young players are somehow going to just always stay at the level they’re at between 18-24.

Like even a 10 per cent improvement from any player in that age bracket who has already shown they can at least hold their own in AFL footy - which all those players have - is going to have a large collective impact on the team. It doesn’t mean flags or regular top four finishes but if they’re already playing in a best 22 of a mid table side coming off a recent flag I’d suggest they’re not going to just disappear off the radar

It’s bizarre how often people just assume that even the non-superstar young players are somehow going to just always stay at the level they’re at between 18-24.

Like even a 10 per cent improvement from any player in that age bracket who has already shown they can at least hold their own in AFL footy - which all those players have - is going to have a large collective impact on the team. It doesn’t mean flags or regular top four finishes but if they’re already playing in a best 22 of a mid table side coming off a recent flag I’d suggest they’re not going to just disappear off the radar

Not to mention Stephen Wells who has a pretty decent record of finding players no one has heard about into fine footballers.

Not to mention Stephen Wells who has a pretty decent record of finding players no one has heard about into fine footballers.

Love them or hate them, the Melbourne Storm have been above average basically for the entire quarter century they’ve been in the comp.

When they lost Kimmorley and Scott Hill and Lazarus etc it was just assumed they would eventually drop off. Then Smith, Slater, Inglis and Cronk arrived. Inglis left, Slater started to get injured and Munster deputised at fullback in his debut season. Then one by one Smith, Cronk and Slater retired or left. At every juncture up to about 2016 the pundits would just keep saying ‘well now they’re cooked for the foreseeable future.’ Finally it stopped happening and now across the nrl it’s just a given that whatever happens, the Storm will find a way to at least compete and not disappear.
I’m not sure how long we have to keep proving ourselves until people take the same view

Well Carlton didnt finish top 4 ladder wise. they finished 5th in the regular season.

made a prelim in 2023. Does that count?
Well the OP didnt state Home and Away or final finishing order which holds more weight as it reflects draft order.

Anti Carlton bias will say no as usual but draft order and the TRUE final finishing order say Yes.

So it becomes a case of sort your bias and hate out team wise and then comment! 🤣

Fudge will be in here soon to dispel all theories i hope and share his guidance for all on Carlton! 🤪

Fudge will be in here soon to dispel all theories i hope and share his guidance for all on Carlton! 🤪
He will need to retrieve his spreadsheets from 2019 to confirm how accurate posters were with their theories of probabilities.
So we sit here and wait for those to be produced...

We were 6 points off being bottom 4 this year, and I'd suggest we're more likely to go down than up in the next few years.

No we weren't. Our % was way higher than Gold Coast. We were therefore 8 points off bottom 4, 8 points off finals. Or with a standard issue injury run, playing finals.
The old glass half full / half empty analogy

Back