What would you trade for inevitable North Melbourne Priority Pick (2024)?

Remove this Banner Ad

• We were all around to watch half a billion of tax payer funds go into improving Adelaide's home ground and turn both teams into proper clubs. Or when Adelaide continued to receive $1m a year after "begging" to help fix its finances and set them on the way to become what it is now.
  • We all saw $12m+ handed to Port on a silver platter to save them going under or when Essendon received similar to build state of the art facilities on a farm.
  • We were around when GC were allowed to have a record four 'academy' picks in the first round.
  • We saw Geelong receive $340 million in tax payer handouts to boost their advantage ... and then some... and again.
  • We witnessed clubs get allocated prestigious academy zones while others were taken away.
  • We all also saw Carlton handed pick #1... twice (or was it three?)... Melbourne, West Coast and Collingwood to name a few.
  • We saw North be given picks 19, 20, 30 something and 40 something instead.
  • We all saw when North finished last and was not allowed to pick the best player in the draft... twice.

Charity, sucking funds, assistance and lifting up the bowl comes in many many forms to prop clubs up. You may have a short memory of them but I don't.

Shut up and sit the fk down.

North was gifted pick 3 last year for a completely average player, you couldn't push him out the door fast enough. It was charity in its purest form, along with all the other picks you've received.

And you complain about other teams, lol. Time for you to take your own advice and sit the **** down clown.

North was gifted pick 3 last year for a completely average player, you couldn't push him out the door fast enough. It was charity in its purest form, along with all the other picks you've received.

And you complain about other teams, lol. Time for you to take your own advice and sit the heck down clown.
I guess that’s one way of admitting you don’t know how compensation works.

1. So what if clubs just put up duds?

2. That's not how trading works anyway - it's the players that decide where they want to go, and then the clubs have to work it out after that.

3a. Harley Reid, Harry Sheezel, Nick Daicos, etc all say hello.

3b. Why the obsession with someone who helps in the short term? Surely we are better off having someone who will be a good player for 15 years, not have a little sugar hit.

I say this with the greatest of respect, because I envy the way Geelong has been able to constantly regenerate over the past 15+ years without ever dropping down. But I feel like you can't possibly understand North Melbourne's situation. Good players don't want to come. They just don't, and, frankly, I don't blame them.

If you were, say, Hugh McCluggage - you'll get $1m + wherever you go, so do you go to Geelong, and play finals every year, Collingwood and play on the MCG most weeks, Essendon and play Anzac Day, Dreamtime, etc, or North Melbourne, and maybe win a few games next year, play in the worst timeslots, etc, etc? Sure, we can offer a few hundred grand more, but at the level these guys are being paid, does that even matter?

Give us high-end draft picks, tell us we CAN'T trade them, and then be patient.
this is the problem, North only want high-end kids from the draft. no intent on being competitive and absolutely the reason PP's were abolished, It's NOT the AFL's job to see North in contention for a flag in 4/5 years time, and if that's the goal, to load up on kids and wait, then, they should not be given access to handouts.

this is the problem, North only want high-end kids from the draft. no intent on being competitive and absolutely the reason PP's were abolished, It's NOT the AFL's job to see North in contention for a flag in 4/5 years time, and if that's the goal, to load up on kids and wait, then, they should not be given access to handouts.
The only time St Kilda have fired a shot this century is when they loaded up on high draft picks, including consecutive number ones, if memory serves, and then several years later, hey presto, consistent finals performances.

It's not the only reason for St Kilda's run of finals back then, but high draft picks are basically the only way a team gets from the bottom to the top these days. Of course I want more of them. What's the point of getting to the dizzy heights of 7th to 10th for half a decade again?

The only time St Kilda have fired a shot this century is when they loaded up on high draft picks, including consecutive number ones, if memory serves, and then several years later, hey presto, consistent finals performances.

It's not the only reason for St Kilda's run of finals back then, but high draft picks are basically the only way a team gets from the bottom to the top these days. Of course I want more of them. What's the point of getting to the dizzy heights of 7th to 10th for half a decade again?
you discount the trades we brought in as well Gherig, Hamill, H Black, Gram, Guerra, Fiora, Gardiner
S.Milne, Clint Jones, and Geary through the rookie draft, and plenty more that were traded for that didn't work or were minor players during that period.

But again, It's not the AFL's job to give you PP's to see you at the pointy end.

Last edited:
Similar to Centrelink who require those collecting welfare to prove they are applying for jobs and attending interviews, the AFL should require that North provide evidence every week that they’re actually trying to get better.
They are trying, its just bad recruiting that's cost them

The AFL conspired against the Roys because they needed one less team in Melbourne.
Where thy introduced a short term rule; you could grab one uncontracted player from anoher club.
Guess which club lost players under that rule: Peter Craven to the Crows was one of them.

If Fitzroy could have held on another 5 years every chance they’d be around today.

Though perhaps not, as their supporter base was dwarfed by even that of Norths by the end there, or was that more due to the success of the respective sides by the 90s?

I think we should get maybe 2 or 3 priority picks - in addition to pick #1. Picks 1, 2 and 3 should get us back on our feet.

I think we should get maybe 2 or 3 priority picks - in addition to pick #1. Picks 1, 2 and 3 should get us back on our feet.
I’m all for it if one of those went to the Pies for a senior leader like Jeremy Howe.

Young talented kids aren’t the issue. A concerning lack of leaders is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont mind the salary cap floor going down to 90 percent. nice wriggle room If the salary cap is 13 million, then there is 1.3 million to move around. that could lure a free agent or 2 or give younger players an extra $100-$200,000 a year in their next contract.

Hell back in 2010-2011 when Port was struggling and Collingwood made grand finals, the salary floor was 92.5%

If the Salary cap is 15 million, 90 percent of that is 13.5 million. 92.5% of 15 million is 13.875 million or round it off to 14 million.
I personally would have the floor at 90 or 92.5%.

If a team doesn't get above that threshold during the season, say 87% then the extra 3% cap room then gets distributed evenly amongst the playing group. End of season bonus if you will.

Basically, North could pay 85% of the cap this year, everyone gets a bonus then they have extra salary room and can offer a player big money.

At the moment they are having to sign poor free agents on big frontloaded deals, plus extend their players just to hit the salary floor.

North must be really regretting that final round win in 2023. First the Horne - Francis disaster and then the Reid catastrophe. They've had their chances, but i see a Fitzroy type of scenario happening sooner than later. I hope it doesn't come to that.

It's time to merge Fremantle and north.

Fremantle are gifted half a state. If they were in any other state they would have been folded by now. The have a shit colour (purple), mascot (surfer doofus), emblem (an object wtf as an anchor) and theme. And after all that they lack success.

If they merged Fremantle and north they would combine half the state with Norths better colors, mascot and theme. Call them Fremantle kangeroos or north Fremantle kangeroos.

It's a simple fix that does alot

i see a Fitzroy type of scenario happening sooner than later. I hope it doesn't come to that.

The current situation with North Melbourne is completely different to the conditions in 1996. It will take a little bit of time but North will climb out of their current on-field malaise. As a Melbourne-based club they won't be going anywhere.

they can have sam weideman for free

North must be really regretting that final round win in 2023. First the Horne - Francis disaster and then the Reid catastrophe. They've had their chances, but i see a Fitzroy type of scenario happening sooner than later. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Nah, I don't think they'd be regretting it.

It's great fodder for the media who will take any angle to criticise a club - particularly a struggling club - but talk of it being a "catastrophe" is completely overblown, and enormously disrespectful to McKercher who also looks excellent

The profitable clubs and actually all clubs should tell north to heck off

They won't get one. Wce and hawks are next in line. The game has moved on from north. Last thing we need is hawks and wce going into a death spiral

Pp should even be uttered by north supporters and should be used as a joke by opposition supporters not actual valid idea.
If Essendon don't win a final, surely it's them and St Kilda that should be getting help ahead of anyone.

This concept of giving a rubbish team some kids is quite bizarre. Considering up until only recently, it was always considered fact that draftees take 4 years to come good - what was the logic behind this model?

Melbourne suck (for example ). They get the best kids from the Draft while sucking. They still suck. Let's give them priority picks. Hmmmm, that didn't work, they still suck. Nek minnit...when those kids develop - they've win a flag by 10 goals.

Teams that suck, get the best kids in the country. They already get that. Giving them more doesn't get them off the bottom quickly. It just means that when inevitably do get off the bottom they're stacked and go straight past the battlers that have been plugging away in no man's land for a decade.

It's the teams that are in no man's land that need help.

Nah, I don't think they'd be regretting it.

It's great fodder for the media who will take any angle to criticise a club - particularly a struggling club - but talk of it being a "catastrophe" is completely overblown, and enormously disrespectful to McKercher who also looks excellent
Is that the McKercher who is counting the days until end of 2027 when he can escape to Tasmania?

Wonder how many winning games he will have played in by then?

North in the worse 'doom loop' since Fitzroy

The AFL propping up North has a detrimental effect on the rebuilding clubs above them on the ladder. It needs to stop, maybe bottom four is North's natural position from now?

Is that the McKercher who is counting the days until end of 2027 when he can escape to Tasmania?

Maybe he is, maybe he'll become a North Melbourne great. Maybe Reid would have wanted out after his first contract too.

Wasn't really relevant to my point, which was that he too looks like he'll be an excellent footballer for many years.

1. So what if clubs just put up duds?

2. That's not how trading works anyway - it's the players that decide where they want to go, and then the clubs have to work it out after that.

3a. Harley Reid, Harry Sheezel, Nick Daicos, etc all say hello.

3b. Why the obsession with someone who helps in the short term? Surely we are better off having someone who will be a good player for 15 years, not have a little sugar hit.

I say this with the greatest of respect, because I envy the way Geelong has been able to constantly regenerate over the past 15+ years without ever dropping down. But I feel like you can't possibly understand North Melbourne's situation. Good players don't want to come. They just don't, and, frankly, I don't blame them.

If you were, say, Hugh McCluggage - you'll get $1m + wherever you go, so do you go to Geelong, and play finals every year, Collingwood and play on the MCG most weeks, Essendon and play Anzac Day, Dreamtime, etc, or North Melbourne, and maybe win a few games next year, play in the worst timeslots, etc, etc? Sure, we can offer a few hundred grand more, but at the level these guys are being paid, does that even matter?

Give us high-end draft picks, tell us we CAN'T trade them, and then be patient.

On your first point, there is no way clubs would "offer up duds" in a bidding war for pick 2. That's a ridiculous suggestion. If you've seen the ridiculous offers that have come for Pick 1 and pick 2 over the last few years (including to North for JHF), there is no way clubs would only offer a crappy trade that hurts North - top 2 picks are a high commodity and teams are typically willing to overpay as getting your hands on top 2 picks is very hard (some clubs have never had them in their entire history) .

Obviously there is more to the suggestion than that and I'm not saying it's a good one (it's not). I personally think there are enough equalisation and assistance measures in place and that it should now be up to North to turn their situation around. It's still a competition and there can only be so many support structures before it is incumbent on the competitor to improve and be more competitive. Way more satisfying as a supporter when you eventually do turn it around also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back