Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nocturnal Animals-
Brilliant, the juxtaposition between the two storylines visually was exceptional and the acting (particularly Shannon and Taylor-Johnson) was top notch. The film stayed with me for a while after we left the cinema, haunting, sad and in a weird way terrifying. 9/10
... Yesssssss. Not like pants wetting scary but so much tension and a few jumps.

Good.

Should be able to catch it this weekend, looking forward to it.

Behind the Candelabra

Technically a made-for-TV movie (those who notice aspect ratios will pick that up quickly).

In the late 1970s, young Scott (Matt Damon) gets into a relationship with rich and famous and closeted musician Liberace (Michael Douglas). Scott has his own issues but it quickly becomes apparent Liberace is also ****ed up in the head. Movie follows their years-long time together mostly from Scott's perspective. Rob Lowe, Scott Bakula and Dan Aykroyd are also in it and great. Very good.

Douglas won an Emmy for it

Elle: The last Paul Verhoeven film I saw was Black Book which was excellent so I went in with high expectations and it delivered. Isabelle Huppert is as dynamic as the films direction which feature many well constructed and well thought out scenes. I liked the pacing of the film which really keeps you engaged. It won't be to everyone's tastes due to some of the subject matter and how they deal with it but Huppert's performance is one of the best i've seen for a while. She is an all time great. Her portrayal in The Piano Teacher is probably still her pinnacle but this ain't far off! 8.5/10

Arrival: :thumbsupemoji: Denis Villeneuve Is doing good things. Bit unsure if it will hold up, but just really glad to see some different approaches to storytelling at the movies in 2016.

Also, is it just me or do Passengers and Fantastic Beats look pretty bad?

Arrival - Honestly the real world parallels are what elevates this for me. If the world wasn't in its current climate, I would of come away thinking this was a decent and different take on the alien invasion genre with a stellar performance from Adams. Because we're in what we're in, I came away feeling hopeful, as dumb as that sounds, that happens far less from a movie than it should tbh. Villeneuve still maintains (in my eyes) as the best director going around. Really happy he made this. 8.5/10.

Dr Strange (Stephen)

Arguably the most thought provoking Marvel movie ever. A cerebral one. Funny that it stars a fallen neurosurgeon too (thought, cerebral haha). Expected rubbish, received a very entertaining movie that defied expectations and time. Didnt labour like i thiought it would.

Benedict Wong played Wong (wut?)
Wait that means there were two benedicts (Dr Strange) in the same movie?! Mind blown!!

Special effects stole the show in a movie that featured only a handful of main actors.

Recommended!

Arrival - Honestly the real world parallels are what elevates this for me. If the world wasn't in its current climate, I would of come away thinking this was a decent and different take on the alien invasion genre with a stellar performance from Adams. Because we're in what we're in, I came away feeling hopeful, as dumb as that sounds, that happens far less from a movie than it should tbh. Villeneuve still maintains (in my eyes) as the best director going around. Really happy he made this. 8.5/10.
Easily the best film of the year for me. Followed by Nocturnal Animals and Hell or High Water.

Brooklyn.

Pretty much a love story with an Irish girl, played by Saoirse Ronan moving to Brooklyn to try and get ahead in life. She meets an Italian American guy... My wife recorded it from Foxtel and I ended up sitting to watch it with her and got drawn in very quickly. Saoirse Ronan has the most incredibly expressive face.

Sounds like Mills and Boon, but it was terrific. Some great writing. The book was by Colm Toibin and Nick Hornby wrote the screenplay. Domhnal Gleeson played a boy from back in her village in Ireland. He has now been in 3 movies that I have seen very recently.

Witty, moving and very well acted.

7.5/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Bronx Tale - Robert De Niro's directorial debut, i love mob/mafia films so i was suprised that i'd missed this one.
Both De Niro & Chazz Palminteri give great performances, some of the younger characters acting was a little awkward at times but it still worked.
Very enjoyable film.

3.5/5

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bronx_tale

Oslo, August 31st
- A Norwegian film, the story centers around a recovering drug addict who goes on day release from rehab.
He encounters people from his past and struggles with his personal demons.
Overall i liked it, the film is as you might expect is rather bleak in tone.
It deals with themes like how hard it is to adjust back into society after dealing with substance abuse & depression.

3.5/5

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oslo_august_31st/

Room -
This film was fantastic.
Brie Larson and the young boy who plays Jack give excellent performances.
Shows how we can adapt in the worst circumstances and come out the other side.
A great story of a mother & son's love for each other as well.
One to remember.

4/5

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/room_2015

The Purge: Election Year

I've always liked this series for what it is.
This one sticks pretty true to the formula.
It's nothing amazing by any stretch but it's entertaining enough.

2.5/5

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_purge_election_year

The Conjuring 2

James Wan returns to the directors chair for the sequel.
It helps the film being every bit as good as it's predecessor.
Grim atmosphere & effective scares throughout.
Without relying on thoughtless jump scares to often.
The acting is pretty good.
Maybe a few plot holes here and there but i won't nitpick.

3/5

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_conjuring_2/

Last edited:
Brooklyn.

Pretty much a love story with an Irish girl, played by Saoirse Ronan moving to Brooklyn to try and get ahead in life. She meets an Italian American guy... My wife recorded it from Foxtel and I ended up sitting to watch it with her and got drawn in very quickly. Saoirse Ronan has the most incredibly expressive face.

Sounds like Mills and Boon, but it was terrific. Some great writing. The book was by Colm Toibin and Nick Hornby wrote the screenplay. Domhnal Gleeson played a boy from back in her village in Ireland. He has now been in 3 movies that I have seen very recently.

7.5/10
It was one of those movies where one actor just nails it imo. She just really owned that film.

Brooklyn.

7.5/10

Good movie but also pedestrian. Can see why people weren't happy about the whiteness of the Oscars this year.

Good movie but also pedestrian. Can see why people weren't happy about the whiteness of the Oscars this year.

That's an interesting point. I pay little attention to the Oscars in recent years as I go to the movies less and less. (Time constraints rather than a moral decision). I had no idea about the acclaim that this film got and only sat down to watch it because my wife recorded it.

I really enjoyed it for what it was, but it did not jump out to me as an Oscar type film. Having said that, there is something to be said for actors performing believable, nuanced roles rather than over the top theatrics which sometimes grab the judge's eye. The performances were top shelf in this movie.

Re Brooklyn: it's funny it's not the type of movie I usually watch at all but it really drew me in and I really dug it. Lots of credit would have to go to the lead actress, didn't mind her getting a nomination.

Re Arrival: Posts in this thread are getting me extra keen, huge van of Sicario, Enemy and Prisoners (Indcendies is meant to be really good too), will get along to the theatre soon.

Been watching a fair few movies lately, one that stood out was Blue Velvet (1986)

David Lynch has undeniable film making talent which is definitely on display here. Some of his stuff can be a bit out there for me when the plots escalate into seemingly intentionally not making sense, which often seems his formula, so I was pleasantly surprised when the storyline of this thriller turned out to be actually linear. It still has plenty of Lynchesque crazy moments (namely a psychotic, randy gas huffing Denis Hopper).

He has a flair for crafting a really intriguing mystery flick, as shown in the first half of Mulholland Drive before it went crazy (love that movie too), but the fact that he followed through on the premise of this one and the craziness didn't come at the expense of the plot just made it a bit more enjoyable for me. A wildly entertaining crime / mystery / thriller. 9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back