Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Definitely! Any suggestions?
Absolutely. Forewarning - I'm a huge Newman fan but also a big fan of pre-1970's cinema, so not all will be to everyone's tastes. Rough ranking for me, in terms of the film quality:

Hud
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Road to Perdition
The Hustler
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Nobody's Fool
Slap Shot
Hombre
The Towering Inferno
The Verdict
The Color of Money

Absolutely. Forewarning - I'm a huge Newman fan but also a big fan of pre-1970's cinema, so not all will be to everyone's tastes. Rough ranking for me, in terms of the film quality:

Hud
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Road to Perdition
The Hustler
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Nobody's Fool
Slap Shot
Hombre
The Towering Inferno
The Verdict
The Color of Money
Thanks so much I'll start with Hud :D

Although I haven't seen enough classic cinema I've enjoyed most I've seen like Casablanca, 12 Angry Men, Modern Times, Rear Window, On the Waterfront... basically the classic on IMDB's top 250 list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My issue with Ford is despite his swagger and acting ability... he's never looked convinving in the action. When he fights it's like, every punch is taking his breath away. Tommy Lee Jones is the same and somehow he had a run of action flicks too in the 90s, one with Ford which was like two out of practice dads in pre-season, and another with Steven ******* Segal! That's nearly as bad as when the casting agent for Cliffhanger was like 'yep, the dad from Third Rock from the Sun will be a good match up for Rocky Rambo!'

Yep, yes you did.....

IIRC weren't you saying that Tommy Lee Jones is totally implausible as a bad guy not that long ago and that he couldn't cut it as a lead villain?
No.

He can't be convincing as an action actor during the action.

His everything else is great. He only has to fight once in the movie and it's a ridiculous scene anyway that looks like a slap fight with Segal right at the end, so there's no killing of 'suspension of disbelief'. Most of the movie he just sits around or walks around being very convincing as an unstable domestic terrorist.

Also Steven Segal's different fighting style to most Hollywood stuff make it plausible, it's a fairly quick scene and he gets ****ed up.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

My favourite Newman film is Space Jam.

Space-Jam.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back