Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gunpowder Milkshake.

If you took the violence and storytelling of Tarantino, the colour scheme of Wes Anderson, horribly written dialogue and threw it all into a blender topped off with an obvious feminist lean you'd have Gunpowder Milkshake. If that appeals, and if you want something that you can switch off when watching it's worth a look, but otherwise it's a middle of the road B grade flick.

Was just another film in already flooded genre of movies.

Leon (1994) - Gary Oldman is absolutely brilliant. Holds up very well for a film from the early to mid nineties.

Jolt… yet another attempt to cash in on the unexpected badass genre (Taken, John Wick, Gunpowder Milkshake) but its daft premise premise never quite comes off (it’s more like Jason Statham’s Crank than the aforementioned movies). I could watch Kate Beckinsale all day and some of the fight scenes are decent, Stanley Tucci does his best but Bobby Cannavale is wasted talent. They clearly thought this would become a franchise but it just underwhelms. 4/10

Midnight in Paris (2011) D: Woody Allen Nice little fantasy flick about a writer visiting Paris encountering Hemingway, the Fitzgeralds, Porter, Picasso, Monet, Man Ray, Dali and TS Eliot. I liked it, I liked Gil’s (Wilson) reactions when meeting his idols. 4 out of 5.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Midnight in Paris (2011) D: Woody Allen Nice little fantasy flick about a writer visiting Paris encountering Hemingway, the Fitzgeralds, Porter, Picasso, Monet, Man Ray, Dali and TS Eliot. I liked it, I liked Gil’s (Wilson) reactions when meeting his idols. 4 out of 5.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Love MIP. Is a regular on the SBS movie channel

An American Pickle

Seth Rogen doubles up in this 'fish out of water' attempt

Herschel Greenbaum is pickled in 1919 and is awoken in 2019 - and the movie revolves around his attempts to fit in surrounded by social media and the associated 'green' living

To be fair it has some nice moments but overall it fell flat for me

6/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An American Pickle

Seth Rogen doubles up in this 'fish out of water' attempt

Herschel Greenbaum is pickled in 1919 and is awoken in 2019 - and the movie revolves around his attempts to fit in surrounded by social media and the associated 'green' living

To be fair it has some nice moments but overall it fell flat for me

6/10
6/10 is generous.. this was a shocker imo

The Handmaiden (2016)

By Park Chan-wook (Oldboy), I personally think fans of Parasite should look to this rather than Bong Joon Ho's filmography. Much more similar thematically and quality wise. It's a bit soft-core pr0n at times with all the lesbian action and sex themes, but overall an extremely classy and twisty thriller. Happy to put it up there with Parasite and Oldboy as another South Korean masterpiece 8.5/10

Sound of Metal

It was a good movie, but it never quite reached the heights that the hype around suggested it would. I also felt a bit let down by the ending:

The guy goes and has a $50,000 surgery, but had no idea what the end result would actually be? Did he not have a chat with the doctor about how the things work and the risks involved? That took me out of the movie a fair bit, to be honest.

Any fans of the old He Man serious, Masters of the Universe should avoid the coming movie at all costs. Pure poisonous woke nonsense from all reports. He man is not even the main character if you can beleive that. Usual female empowerment nonsense in Hollywood. 0/10

Movie I saw ages ago and it’s pretty old is “ The Counterfeiters “
Was an interesting true story history lesson on how the course of the war was influenced by a few prisoners.

The Handmaiden (2016)

By Park Chan-wook (Oldboy), I personally think fans of Parasite should look to this rather than Bong Joon Ho's filmography. Much more similar thematically and quality wise. It's a bit soft-core pr0n at times with all the lesbian action and sex themes, but overall an extremely classy and twisty thriller. Happy to put it up there with Parasite and Oldboy as another South Korean masterpiece 8.5/10

I intended to watch this yesterday but had a Joe Biden moment and mistakenly started playing The Housemaid. It soon became apparent that it was the wrong movie as it was Vietnamese not Korean but it was pretty good so I carried on watching it. It's set in 1955 and is the story of a young woman who starts working at the mansion of a former rubber plantation. There's quite a lot of jump scare horror moments then some love scenes and a couple of twists at the end. The lead actress Kate Nhung looks fine and the movie is beautifully shot.

6/10

Any fans of the old He Man serious, Masters of the Universe should avoid the coming movie at all costs. Pure poisonous woke nonsense from all reports. He man is not even the main character if you can beleive that. Usual female empowerment nonsense in Hollywood. 0/10
‘From all reports’

‘0/10’

Keep manufacturing that outrage.

... have u actually seen it?

* I love this movie.

Sound of Metal

It was a good movie, but it never quite reached the heights that the hype around suggested it would. I also felt a bit let down by the ending:

The guy goes and has a $50,000 surgery, but had no idea what the end result would actually be? Did he not have a chat with the doctor about how the things work and the risks involved? That took me out of the movie a fair bit, to be honest.
I didn't think that was so out of the realms of possibility.

It was tragic, but Riz Ahmed's character was so desperate and in denial that he probably would have agreed anyway. Wouldn't be the first time doctors deceive and cash in on people in desperate situations. Especially as the procedure was in somewhat of a beta stage.

I actually really loved the ending. The grating sound of the implant contrasted with that beautiful moment of pure silence at the end where he finally accepted and found his calm.

It was tragic, but Riz Ahmed's character was so desperate and in denial that he probably would have agreed anyway. Wouldn't be the first time doctors deceive and cash in on people in desperate situations. Especially as the procedure was in somewhat of a beta stage.

I actually really loved the ending. The grating sound of the implant contrasted with that beautiful moment of pure silence at the end where he finally accepted and found his calm.
Agree on this take. And on the ending, I thought it elevated the film to somewhere near where the hype would have you believe it lies.

I spose. But something just felt off about that part of the film for me. A bit rushed maybe?

Gunpowder Milkshake (2021)

Stylistically it was good, if somewhat derivative, but the content was one cringeworthy scene after another. The laughing gas guys, fighting with paralysed arms, an indestructible Porsche. The girl power theme was clumsily done - it felt like the Spice Girls do John Wick. Is there really a market for movies aimed at young girls who like violent action movies?

I got about an hour in and couldn't take any more.

3/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back